PDA

View Full Version : ASC for Auto-X?

PeteN95
02-27-2006, 07:28 PM
I just got my ti, so I'm still getting a feel for the handling. As it snowed the first day I had it, I became impressed with the ASC. I am just wondering how it works in an Auto-X? If not in the dry, maybe for rain? Mine does not have an LSD.

aceyx
02-27-2006, 08:44 PM
I usually turn off the ASC during spirited driving because I feel it makes things less predictable. It's better left off to get a feel for the limits of the tail-wag.

andyman7931
02-27-2006, 08:53 PM
it is nice on the road sometimes though, like this AM when I pulled out onto the road and gunned the gas to get up to speed, I guess my tires weren't warmed up, because without ASC I would have done a tail wag. It's nice for when you don't want to concentrate on driving. I think I'd turn it off in an autocross though.

andy
03-02-2006, 12:53 AM
Autocross is all about the crazy mojo of a crazy grin, a firmly planted right foot and a 12mph turn approaching...with no repercussions. :)

The newer cars (starting with the Z4) have traction control that get to the point where you can actually drive hard and they'll work with you. ASC+T is just going to suck your power away when you just need it...unless you're autoxing on ice or something...

chriswashburn18
03-03-2006, 06:18 PM
trust me take it off, if you didnt take it off your time would sux so bad!

ZeroG
03-04-2006, 03:11 AM
I just got my ti, so I'm still getting a feel for the handling. As it snowed the first day I had it, I became impressed with the ASC. I am just wondering how it works in an Auto-X? If not in the dry, maybe for rain? Mine does not have an LSD.

I am not to familiar with ASC, but I ran my ///M3 in the rain at ButtonWillow a few weeks ago, and then an autocross last weekend.

During the track day I had the DSC on all weekend, as I was really trying to work on my line vs. speed. I had not problems runing with it on.

During the Autocross and during canyon runs, I usually turn the DSC off. What tends to happen is at the first sign of rear wheel slipage the DSC computer tends to think that the car is going into a spin and adversely corrects. This causes the car to understeer like a bitch. I highly do not recomend this kind of driving with the DSC on. Unless you are a noob!

John W
03-06-2006, 12:07 AM
It is one of the things I find more annoying about the 318ti. The first thing I do after turning on the ignition, is switch off the traction control. It is way too intrusive and really not all that necessary for a car that makes not much more than 100hp at the wheels. Might be useful in the snow or with an inexperienced driver in the rain, but that's about it. It will drastically change your autocross times for the worse.

chriswashburn18
03-06-2006, 03:30 PM
It is even worse in the snow I do nothing but spin out with it on, it does work great in the rain

PeteN95
03-06-2006, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the advice, I'll find out this weekend at my first Auto-X (with this car). I was impressed how well it worked in the snow, but if it comes on a lot in the dry it will slow me down. I may try it, once. I have noticed the car wants to push a little, but haven't had much of a chance to really push it yet and that was with the ASC on. Too bad it doesn't have an "LSD" setting, where it just limits slip between the rear tires!?

bullmand
03-13-2006, 09:45 PM
FWIW I never use mine at Auto-X unless I forget to turn it off. During my runs I've rarely had any issues with losing traction at the rear unless I'm just driving like crap that day. The only exception is the last one we had in November when I just couldn't get the tires warm. I had a little problem with wheelspin on that one. Run with it off. If you're spinning the wheels a lot you might think about stickier tires.

chriswashburn18
03-14-2006, 12:22 AM
i used toyo proxes t1s with traction control off, i had more sliding in the front than the rear