PDA

View Full Version : Just getting started

snocone
02-28-2006, 07:27 AM
I'm in the market for ti (in California). I don't know too much about them, but I'm learning more from the threads. How do you feel about manual vs. automatic; base vs. active; and standard vs. sport? Is it more preference than performance? Also, should I hold out for a low mileage ti? What do you consider to be low mileage for a ti? Is there a particular model year that's better than the others? I realize these are pretty basic questions, but I'd appreciate any advice! Thanks.

96ti
03-05-2006, 10:44 PM
Mine is basic. I never drive a sport or an active so I don't really know how they handle. The most noticable is that active and sport come with better bodykit, especially the sport wich came with M bumpers. The sports have better and lower suspension; their interior is better too, sport leather seats. The best looking car is the sport club which came with M mirrors. For the engine, they are all the same, 1.9little M44. The 95 models have M42 engine with OBDI, wich is cheaper to maintain when it comes to age.
Correct me if i'm wrong, i think the different between models is more about appearance than performance, except for the club sport with better suspension and a LSD
About the mileage, I heard people running above 200k with no problem. mine has 140k on it, still running good. Of course, when buying a used car, you'd better go for the least mileage possible.
Goodluck finding your car

SlickmisterN
03-05-2006, 11:55 PM
where are you from?

96ti
03-06-2006, 12:33 AM
are you asking me? I'm in Orange County

HuGo
03-06-2006, 12:50 AM
are you asking me? I'm in Orange County

In orange county? Where abouts, Irvine?
One day, you, randy, marcus, I and any around here TI's should get together and cruise around. Sky view like this

-- |
| |

Ehh, you know, driving so that in sky view it looks like T I, haha

96ti
03-06-2006, 01:11 AM
I know there are more So Cal people on this board. I think there was a meet before, but I missed it. We could meet on a sunny day and cruise around. Just wait until I have my break and suspension done in about a month. BTW I live in Garden Grove. I used to live in Irvine for 3 year while I was attending school there. when I was in Irvine, I noticed at least 2 other Tis in the neighborhood. Once I know belong to a girl who I knew from school.

HuGo
03-06-2006, 01:13 AM
I know there are more So Cal people on this board. I think there was a meet before, but I missed it. We could meet on a sunny day and cruise around. Just wait until I have my break and suspension done in about a month. BTW I live in Garden Grove. I used to live in Irvine for 3 year while I was attending school there. when I was in Irvine, I noticed at least 2 other Tis in the neighborhood. Once I know belong to a girl who I knew from school.

in my school there are 3 ppl with Ti's. Ive left them a paper about this website and i guess they dont wanna look around. How far are you from LA im right below of South Pasadena/Old Town.

lkwd318ti
03-06-2006, 06:11 AM
snocone, hold out and try to find a ti sport.
I think that the suspension is better than the base and active ones.
To me, low mileage would probably be under 70000 miles.

Yeah...there's a bunch of Socal people here...
Me (lkwd318ti), Autom3otives, ZeroG, marcus2116, 96 3 1 8 t i, 96ti, 1996Bmw318TI...There's a few more, but I can't remember them from the top of my head...

-Randy

Etienne
03-06-2006, 02:38 PM
Just a thought.

If you are buying a used car, keep in mind there are a number of rather expensive maintenance items which are unavoidable, i.e. clutch, ball joints, etc. If you can find a car that has been well maintained and well documented I'd say you are probably better off getting a slightly higher mileage vehicle that has had all these done to it (possibly even upgraded), rather than go for lower mileage and get stuck doing all these within the first year or so. The engine on these cars is great (mine is about 110,000 and still running strong) and you don't have to worry too much about picking one up with over 100k. I would be more concerned with the mileage on these parts than the mileage on the engine (unless you are looking to throw a DASC on it or something). This is just mho.