PDA

View Full Version : $1.5 million painting gets 12-year-old's gum

Tyler
03-02-2006, 12:02 AM
Has anyone else seen this or heard about it?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/03/01/gum.art.ap/index.html

HuGo
03-02-2006, 12:41 AM
man so what? That painting isnt all that amusing. I dont get it, i could paint something like that, and why wont my drawing cost 1 million? My little brother can slap some paint and do samething? Thats what i dont get about paintings, how is it that some are worth so much and some so little. Like this one, its simple, and something that i can do. If i did it, it would sell for 50 cents.

"the so what isnt directly to you tyler but to the meseum ppl"

Im waiting for those who are gonna rip on me for this comment... I already know who's first in line.

Edit: People get straight up killed and murdered out there and so much way worse things we dont even know, but that doesn't come up in the news, but a gum gets stuck in some painting OMG!!!! THE PAINTING!!! IT GOT MURDERED!! Man, i hate the news. Painting makes the news but people getting slaughtered doesn't. Wow, they really need to know what kinda gum it was? the cops dont find out what kinda knife a person had when the person got shanked 15x.

jmoti
03-02-2006, 12:57 AM
Huh - I would tend to think that might make it more artistic! Like ****-art...it's a comment on the pop-culture sociotranscendentalistic quasi-transience of material being, and...aw crap, I'm out of fake words.

Seriously, the lines of the e60 are way better art ;-)

durnadupa
03-02-2006, 01:33 AM
I had a class in this "modernist" art stuff, and I've gotta say that it was by far the worst class of the semester. I am one who appreciates art, but this isnt any good neither are any of the other modern arts like a blank canvas and such.

The reason these paintings are worth so much is because they represent a time period, they show us what the artist was thinking and basically the view of the world/culture of the time. But would i pay $1.5 million for that? No.

HuGo
03-02-2006, 01:39 AM
with 1.5 mil, ill buy a Mercedes CLK-GTR instead or a Jaguar XJR-15.

Mercedes --->http://www.fantasycars.com/derek/cars/images/mercedes/clk_3.jpg

Jaguar --->http://baomon.com/ycd/car10.jpg

durnadupa
03-02-2006, 01:52 AM
If we're gonna be playing the what will I buy for $1.5 million game...

Ill take a
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Maserati Gransport
Ferrari 430 Spider
maybe an M6 for daily use...
(sorry I think the racing car style is incredibly ugly, like that Mercedes. It's not like I need that extra hp or anything, I'd rather have a prettier car)

And the rest would go for investment, school bills, house, and partying.

HuGo
03-02-2006, 01:54 AM
If we're gonna be playing the what will I buy for $1.5 million game...

Ill take a
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
Maserati Gransport
Ferrari 430 Spider
maybe an M6 for daily use...
(sorry I think the racing car style is incredibly ugly, like that Mercedes. It's not like I need that extra hp or anything, I'd rather have a prettier car)

And the rest would go for investment, school bills, house, and partying.

my list would go one, but i mean 1 item listed at 1 mil or more. Not several items, just 1 :smile:

durnadupa
03-02-2006, 02:13 AM
Ohh so one car? Well that's simple, Bugatti Veyron for the win.

PettitWC
03-02-2006, 03:12 AM
just love the whole "he's been punished" then the......."By the way, he's only 12 and had no idea what he was doing"

drkblu318ti
03-02-2006, 04:17 AM
I think its pretty funny, sucks that it ruined such a wonderful painting... sorry dont really like abstract art like that... I mean was is that supposed to be a 2 year olds map of africa? Looks like the colors are reversed..

96cali
03-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Whoa, lots of modern art haterz...

Regardless of individual tastes the little punk had no right to defile property worth 1.5 mil or 1.5 dollars. Is it OK if I key your ti cuz I don't like it? I mean come on, I don't get it, it has a 4 cylinder and no trunk. It's the saddest excuse for a BMW I've ever seen. Get my point?

And just because you don't like something now, or don't understand it, does not mean you won't see it again in 20 years and be moved by it. At one time the impressionists were revolutionary because they painted the way something felt, not necessarily looked. At one time Picasso looked shocking too. Our whole notion of free thinking has been heavily influenced by radical artistic movements. I wouldn't call this painting a masterpiece but, to each his own. :smile:

durnadupa
03-02-2006, 05:55 AM
Whoa, lots of modern art haterz...

Regardless of individual tastes the little punk had no right to defile property worth 1.5 mil or 1.5 dollars. Is it OK if I key your ti cuz I don't like it? I mean come on, I don't get it, it has a 4 cylinder and no trunk. It's the saddest excuse for a BMW I've ever seen. Get my point?

And just because you don't like something now, or don't understand it, does not mean you won't see it again in 20 years and be moved by it. At one time the impressionists were revolutionary because they painted the way something felt, not necessarily looked. At one time Picasso looked shocking too. Our whole notion of free thinking has been heavily influenced by radical artistic movements. I wouldn't call this painting a masterpiece but, to each his own. :smile:
Exactly what I was trying to say, it had to do with the whole Modernist movement. Personally I don't see art in it, but to many it is a moving painting.

aceyx
03-02-2006, 06:28 PM
It sickens me that 12 year olds don't learn respect for things even if they don't like it.

But I am more outraged that cnn does not support firefox.