PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to replace brake line/ hose?

96ti
03-05-2006, 03:42 AM
I'm going to do the brake this week. I have just a few questions to ask. My car has over 140 kmiles on it. I am wondering if there is any need to replace the brake lines. what kind of fluid would you guys recomend? I already asked this question in another thread but I repeat it here. Has anyone had (or know of anyone who had) some sort of experiences with BOSCH brake pads? I want something that can stop my car, yet with little dirt, and no squeak. I heard good things about Axxis/PBR ultimate, but still want to consider Bosch.

BobbyDigital
03-05-2006, 04:11 AM
I dont think replacing the brake lines is necessary. I have 220,000 miles on mine. However, I just bought Brembo cross drilled rotors off ebay for $150. When I do that, I'm also replacing the brake lines with Braided Stainless Steel ones. Its not necessary, but it does make a difference. I got the brake lines for $70 for the front only.

I got them from buybrakes.com. I wouldnt recommend them, because their website says that everything ships from their NC shop, but it took 12 days for me to get the brake lines and I have yet to get the brake pads. I ordered it all on Feb 16. Otherwise, if you dont mind waiting, the price is good.

I also heard that the cross drilled rotors make more noise when braking, this is the first time for me, so I dont know that for a fact.

My opinion is to go ahead and replace the brake lines with braided stainless steel, and use a good brake fluid like redline. Its nothing to replace them.

clex2
03-05-2006, 04:29 AM
96ti,

I concur with Bobbydigital. There is no "need" to replace your brake lines if they look in good shape. That being said, since you are doing this yourself, or at I assume you are, you are saving a good bit of money on labor. You could use it towards a nice set of SS lines. I personally would recommend UUC or Goodridge line. UUC's are coated with a plastic sleeve for added protection. It's not too often that you are doing the brakes, so while your there, and your going to flush the system, might as well put in the lines too. That way you have the peace of mind knowing that at least for another 140K, your lines are good. As for fluid, I use ATE super blue or gold. Same product, different color, so that each time you fluch the system, you use the other color so you can see when the new fluid has flushed out the old.

96ti
03-05-2006, 04:47 AM
Thanks a lot guys. I would look into those products. And Yes, I'm doing the break myself.

96ti
03-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Do I need to get the 6 line set or 4 line?

stormos
03-05-2006, 11:09 PM
6 for rear disk models. 4 for rear drums.....

Panzer_M
03-06-2006, 11:39 PM
you need a

14mm Box end although with the UUC lines keep a 15mm around, as a 14 is sometimes too tight to get on the lines.
11mm Flare nut
11mm box end stub wrench.
1.5L of fluid. I recommend Ate Super Blue fluid

96ti
03-29-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks a lot guys, I figured out that I don't need new break lines, but I'll bleed the system w/ ate blue break fluid. BTW, while doing the breaks. I notice that my car has only 4 lines, and it has disk break in the rear, not drum.

clex2
04-05-2006, 02:42 AM
96ti,

Just to clarify something.........BRAKES stop the car. Some things may BREAK on the car, but BREAKS don't stop the car. It's just painful to read when you are using the wrong word.

Also, with the rear discs, there are in fact 4 lines back there. Two are near the calipers, and two others are higher up at the pivot points of the trailing arms.

Hope you DIY brake job goes well. It's not hard.

BobbyDigital
04-05-2006, 04:51 AM
Yeah, it kills me too. It used to be called the information superhighway, now it should be called the MISinformation superhighway. Everyone's spelling and grammar have gone downhill.