PDA

View Full Version : Cold air intakes.

ubiquity
03-05-2006, 05:14 PM
A friend of mine recently borrowed my Ti and managed to crash it quite badly. Fortunatly its not written off, but the entire front end needs replacing.

While its in the garage anyway, I am considering changing the intake, and was wondering which kits people thought were best. I realise the standard bmw intake is pretty good, and I would be lucky to get more than 3 bhp increase in performance, but it its all being replaced anyway, I am considering the upgrade if just for the sound / looks alone!

cheers.

DustenT
03-05-2006, 05:17 PM
Sorry to hear your car is messed up. Advice for Ti owners: Don't let your friends drive your car. This is like the 5th time I've heard the same story about someone crashing a borrowed 318ti.

L84THSKY
03-05-2006, 05:28 PM
You sure are taking it well. I guess once the shock is past, all you can do is look forward to the new upgrades.

I have a Carbonio intake. Fits excellent, and sound really cool.

A friend of mine recently borrowed my Ti and managed to crash it quite badly. Fortunatly its not written off, but the entire front end needs replacing.

While its in the garage anyway, I am considering changing the intake, and was wondering which kits people thought were best. I realise the standard bmw intake is pretty good, and I would be lucky to get more than 3 bhp increase in performance, but it its all being replaced anyway, I am considering the upgrade if just for the sound / looks alone!

cheers.

T-Huss
03-05-2006, 11:43 PM
hey im pretty new to the site and i was looking at Carbonio intakes and it says 1996-1999 but mine is a 95. would it fit?:confused:

ubiquity
03-08-2006, 01:00 PM
Am I right in thinkin Carbonio are a US Company? They look lovely and I think I will probably go with the induction system for the 318ti but I was originally thinking of finding a German company for the induction system.

andyman7931
03-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Sorry to hear your car is messed up. Advice for Ti owners: Don't let your friends drive your car. This is like the 5th time I've heard the same story about someone crashing a borrowed 318ti.

hehe, that's why I let people borrow my jeep instead... plus since it's currently for sale, the insurance company could just buy it and I wouldn't really care.

as far as intakes, I'm looking into "fogging" my airbox. The performance gains look real and it's very cost effective too :-)

T-Huss
03-08-2006, 02:20 PM
ive heard of "Fogging" alot on this site and i was wondering what it was. i think its using C02 into the airbox but i dont know lol

Etienne
03-08-2006, 02:49 PM
I did this on my '95, was incredibly easy, just pulled the little plastic duct off the front and inserted the flexible tubing. My '96 is going to be a bit more complicated since I am going to have to cut the airbox since its a completely different set-up... Anyway, I could definitely notice the difference at higher RPMS and the car pulled a bit smoother/stronger all the way to red line. Easy, cheap and effective.

hehe, that's why I let people borrow my jeep instead... plus since it's currently for sale, the insurance company could just buy it and I wouldn't really care.

as far as intakes, I'm looking into "fogging" my airbox. The performance gains look real and it's very cost effective too :-)

L84THSKY
03-08-2006, 03:01 PM
The Carbonio CAI is Made in Canada.

Am I right in thinkin Carbonio are a US Company? They look lovely and I think I will probably go with the induction system for the 318ti but I was originally thinking of finding a German company for the induction system.

ubiquity
03-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Fogging? Sounds interesting. What are the performance gains like?

andyman7931
03-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Fogging? Sounds interesting. What are the performance gains like?

it's named after the guy who did the writeup/test for it. His last name is Fogg.. here's a website with a lot of info on it http://mz3.net/articles/149.html

snwbrdrbum10
03-08-2006, 05:19 PM
perhaps a Cosmo CAI. works great on mine. sounds decent too

ubiquity
03-11-2006, 03:12 AM
Yeah that article makes a lot of sense, although I cant really be bothered to do the work myself and instead it has just put me off getting an aftermarket air intake.

I might see if I can do the modification listed in the notebook for the m44 dual intake to go along with the m3 bumper I am ordering.

adempster1
03-11-2006, 03:34 AM
what is fogging and where can I get it or how to do it?

Panzer_M
03-11-2006, 05:45 AM
www.bimmerdiy.com has a thing on Fogging an airbox

noone makes an intake for the M42, for other than sound, no benefit comes from the intake, due to the restrictive AFM.

cali-ti
03-11-2006, 06:32 AM
also in the KB ...

adempster1
03-11-2006, 12:48 PM
Thanks

ubiquity
03-11-2006, 05:43 PM
I was refering to this dual intake article :

http://www.318ti.org/notebook/M44_dual_intake/index.html

I was thinking maybe that and also fogging the airbox would result in a more free flowing system.

J!m
03-11-2006, 06:41 PM
One thing I'd like to point out in reference to that article:

The use of RTV silicone adhesives is not a good idea on the intake path (as much as I love the stuff) as the silicone 'vapor' out-gassing from curing (which takes several weeks) can coat the oxygen sensors and cause them to fail prematurely.

I think hot-melt glue may be a better choice, or, best of all, plastic welding. Other adhesives (such as JB Weld) may be a better choice too; however I do not know the effects of JBW by-products on oxygen sensors.

Anyone with additional info on the effects of adhesive by-products on oxygen sensor operation, please chime in...

On a lighter note, I think it's a cool mod, even if it doesn't do much.:smile:

ubiquity
03-12-2006, 01:43 AM
Atm I am not considering any modifications. I liked the sound of the k&n or similar intake, but after reading the article on fogging I have been put off by the suggestion that the intake may shorten the life of the engine by not being as thorough at filtering as the standard paper filter.

Perhaps a change in airbox itself would be a worthwhile upgrade though.

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 03:51 PM
the carbonio's a good one.. it was reccomended to me and i believe it's the one i'm installing this month

any thoughts on other quality ones for around 300$? :rolleyes:

L84THSKY
03-31-2006, 04:11 PM
Follow this thread to see mine installed.
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4990&page=2&highlight=carbonio

the carbonio's a good one.. it was reccomended to me and i believe it's the one i'm installing this month
:rolleyes:

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 04:25 PM
i notice somewhere on the thread it said it won't fit with certain lights

i don't know if this is a problem but i am planning on getting the HID 4100k set from vitesse tuning, so will this thing still fit??

H3_2.1-ti
03-31-2006, 04:34 PM
i notice somewhere on the thread it said it won't fit with certain lights

i don't know if this is a problem but i am planning on getting the HID 4100k set from vitesse tuning, so will this thing still fit??

The intake fits with both Euro and NA spec headlights, The HID kit consists of a rebased Philips Xenon bulb; H1, 9006 or H7 (depending on your headlights) so fitting is no problem.

Cheers,

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 04:39 PM
awesome awesome awesome

i'd give you a kiss, but eh :cool:

H3_2.1-ti
03-31-2006, 04:44 PM
awesome awesome awesome

i'd give you a kiss, but eh :cool:

Dude,

I luv you too, but I don't swing that way!:biggrin:

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 05:06 PM
ill give the intake a kiss when it's installed then

:biggrin:

i'm amazing

i agree.

L84THSKY
03-31-2006, 05:31 PM
I had to remove the heat shield on my Carbonio to get the Depos to fit with the CAI. A very tight squeeze.

ill give the intake a kiss when it's installed then

:biggrin:

i agree.

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 05:36 PM
yeah but as i'm aware, that location doesn't need heat-shielded though, right?

L84THSKY
03-31-2006, 07:08 PM
That's my assumption. It also makes for charging the K & N air filter alot easier.

yeah but as i'm aware, that location doesn't need heat-shielded though, right?

halobeamin
03-31-2006, 08:58 PM
That's my assumption. It also makes for charging the K & N air filter alot easier.

word, yeah that's what my buddy said, good deal

T-Huss
04-02-2006, 07:11 PM
why do u need to charge a filter?

aceyx
04-02-2006, 08:05 PM
K&N filters use oil to filter the air (conventional filters use tighly woven material). Once that oil dries up, it doesn't filter nearly as well.

Charging = re-oiling.