PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if the Ti has lsd?

HigH RevZ
03-06-2006, 12:52 PM
I saw a junked Ti, but it had no bumpers I'm wondering if its the Club Sport. Can you guys help me out, how else can I find out if it is. I need LSD. Thx

andyman7931
03-06-2006, 03:06 PM
jack up the back and spin 1 wheel, if the other one spins the same direction, it's LSD, if it spins the opposite direction it's open.

1996 328ti
03-07-2006, 07:45 PM
There is also a tag attached to the diff. Should say S345.

SDKmann
03-07-2006, 07:50 PM
Sorry about hijacking the thread but I think this one is done and I dont want to start a new one. How do I know if its a active model? I know they had the cruise control, auto tranny, and computer stock and I recently discovered I had all that but is there any other way to find out?

aceyx
03-07-2006, 08:36 PM
Doesn't necessarily have auto, but will have 15" alloys and keyless entry.

bimmex
03-07-2006, 09:14 PM
what if it's only pre-wired for key less entry and the car phone is pre-wired too, is that an "active" . So how about Technic? what are the specs on that model? SDk thanks for taking over it's a disccusion that I havent seen but have lot's of questions to it. I bought mine and my window stiker says Msport but my shift knob is a Technic style I think it's technic. Cause the stripes are over th number "1" gear. If it was an msport im thinking it would say "m" just like the steering wheel right? A guy looked over my vin # at the dealer and said my car couldnt be an m, so it's either he's on some crazy starwars shnizzle or my car is not an M . But im thinking it is cause of the M sport suspension, M aerodynamic package and 16x7 wheels, that's like an M thing right?
HElp!!!!!!

1996 328ti
03-08-2006, 01:29 AM
If it has the M-Technic trim then it is a Sport, assuming no one replaced the side moldings. Whoa, isn't this how to tell a LSD?

HuGo
03-08-2006, 01:34 AM
does the Active has LSD? What are the major benefits of having this?

DustenT
03-08-2006, 01:42 AM
does the Active has LSD? What are the major benefits of having this?

Good question! Check out this page: http://www.318ti.org/forum/search.php

SDKmann
03-08-2006, 01:47 AM
I didnt have the keyless entry so dose that mean that I dont have a active?

1996 328ti
03-08-2006, 01:48 AM
I didnt have the keyless entry so dose that mean that I dont have a active?Actives also have cruise control and OBC.

SDKmann
03-08-2006, 01:51 AM
I do have those. I just discovered I had crusie control 4 days ago. So do I have a active?

1996 328ti
03-08-2006, 01:54 AM
I do have those. I just discovered I had crusie control 4 days ago. So do I have a active?Most likely.

SDKmann
03-09-2006, 04:18 AM
Sweet. Thanks.

HuGo
03-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I do have those. I just discovered I had crusie control 4 days ago. So do I have a active?

no, i think you have an unactive. You havent been using ur CC so it isnt "active" Lol jk.

mohaughn
05-02-2006, 03:01 PM
I was going back through all of the service records on my 95 ti and found the original window sticker from the dealer. Low and behold, it has the optional LSD. I'll dig the window sticker back out but I'm pretty sure it has the "active" package as one option and the LSD as a seperate option. The LSD was $600 extra from the dealer.

It has LSD, cruise control, manual 5 speed, remote door locks, and the on board computer...

pdxmotorhead
05-02-2006, 05:20 PM
SO you likely DO have keyless entry.

Do you have the Alarm? Red LED by ashtray....

The alarm funtions are programable at the dealer and there is a shop on ebay that sells compatible remotes.

Dave

mohaughn
05-02-2006, 07:15 PM
Yeah, it has the remote door locks and alarm. The alarm stopped working about two years ago though... I'm pretty sure a sensor somewhere has a short as it will work perfectly fine, then start tripping the alarm for no good reason. The driver side door lock actuator is also shot, so the car had to be locked with the key anyways, so no big loss. Definitely don't feel like paying what BMW wants for a power door lock actuator. Especially when the car will probably be completely stripped in the next year or two.

I was just suprised to find that the car already had the LSD. Was this LSD used in any other BMW cars? Is there anything different about the manual transmission in the ti's that have LSD? The dif was rebuilt at 110k miles(currently at 135k miles) so I may be in better shape than I thought I was in terms of beefing up the drive train for DASC power.

318tiRedLeather
05-03-2006, 01:10 AM
I saw a junked Ti, but it had no bumpers I'm wondering if its the Club Sport. Can you guys help me out, how else can I find out if it is. I need LSD. Thx

You could always just peel out and see how many tire marks are left:tongue:

Tyler
05-03-2006, 02:27 AM
I thought if it's an auto it has asc+t and a manual has lsd.

1996 328ti
05-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I thought if it's an auto it has asc+t and a manual has lsd.LSD was an option until ASC-T was standard. May have been standard in the CS.

USMC318ti
05-09-2006, 04:25 PM
Wait, so I cant have ASC and an LSD?

campaiar
05-09-2006, 04:34 PM
jack up the back and spin 1 wheel, if the other one spins the same direction, it's LSD, if it spins the opposite direction it's open.

This actually isn't true. If I do this to my LSD, the other wheel indeed spins in the opposite direction.

Look at the tag on the differential cover bolts. An "S" before your gear ratio indicates LSD.

DustenT
05-09-2006, 04:53 PM
This actually isn't true. If I do this to my LSD, the other wheel indeed spins in the opposite direction.

Look at the tag on the differential cover bolts. An "S" before your gear ratio indicates LSD.

No, this is true. If it spins in the opposite direction it's an OPEN diff. Maybe someone just put the tag on yours. Mine didn't come with a tag, maybe you have mine?

The other way to find out is to do a huge burn out, fish the back end around, stop, get out and look at the marks, if it's 2 wheels all the time, it's LSD!

campaiar
05-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Here we go.....

Its definitely not true. I went to change out my stock 4.44 diff a couple weekends ago to a 3.64 in preparation for a manual swap. I had previously tested this wheel spin theory, and got opposite spin. I had thought I had a 4.44 LSD based on its performance in the snow, however the theory seemed to prove otherwise.

During the swap, I saw the tag read "S 4.44". I removed the diff from the car, removed the rear cover and there it was definitely an LSD.

The 3.64 diff I had wasn't LSD (since the theory said I didn't have one, I figured I didn't need one), and I wasn't about to swap to an open diff. I instead changed the ring gear and pinion and ended up with a 3.64 LSD.

DustenT
05-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Its definitely not true. I went to change out my stock 4.44 diff a couple weekends ago to a 3.64 in preparation for a manual swap. I had previously tested this wheel spin theory, and got opposite spin. I had thought I had a 4.44 LSD based on its performance in the snow, however the theory seemed to prove otherwise.

During the swap, I saw the tag read "S 4.44". I removed the diff from the car, removed the rear cover and there it was definitely an LSD.

The 3.64 diff I had wasn't LSD (since the theory said I didn't have one, I figured I didn't need one), and I wasn't about to swap to an open diff. I instead changed the ring gear and pinion and ended up with a 3.64 LSD.

I didn't know they made a 4.44 LSD. That must have been on an automatic, pre-ASC days?

campaiar
05-09-2006, 07:38 PM
A very rare build I'm told. 1995 in general is pre-ASC I believe.

Its in an automatic... for now. Waiting on Panzer_Ms 5spd trans.