PDA

View Full Version : 5-10hp increase? doubt it

snwbrdrbum10
03-07-2006, 05:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E36-E46-Z3-M3-Z4-REMUS-DTM-TITANIUM-MUFFLER-EXHAUST_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33636QQitemZ8043673593QQrdZ1

Will this add 5-10hp? i've heard a whole cat back by supersprint will only get you 5-10hp increase...? it says z3 in there , so i guess is has the same as us as far as engine..

snwbrdrbum10
03-07-2006, 05:39 PM
that, and it's only 10$ !!! lol

H3_2.1-ti
03-07-2006, 06:05 PM
That is absolutely not a Remus exhaust. Junk made in the Orient.

Stay away!

SDKmann
03-07-2006, 07:00 PM
They always say that the hp increase is more then it really is. Even on the good products like K&N.

tastade
03-07-2006, 07:56 PM
There are some cases where a muffler can add 10 hp. I have a story about an old Toyota Tercel 4wd wagon with more than 200k miles. I was driving up a steep hill (around 5 or 6% grade at 8000 feet above sea level for several miles), and I kept losing power. I was down to 55 mph, 40 mph, engine temperature was climbing, 20 mph, engine approaching the red zone. I was thinking oh @#$! I am not going to make it to the top of the hill and I am going to have to pull over so I don't over heat.

I look in my rear-view mirror and there is a fog of black smoke following me. It looked like a diesel that accelerating hard. I was thinking it was running really rich. Well anyway halfway up the hill I hear a bang like a gun shot. I think uh-oh the cars dead. Look back and about all I can see is black smoke. And what's this? The car started accelerating. It had power. I was back up to 55 mph in no time and the engine temperature dropped to normal.

When I got home, I looked at the muffler and it had litterally exploded. The inlet to the muffler had blown off so the exhaust was venting out before entering the muffler. I examined the muffler and it was totally clogged with black soot from driving short town trips.

The moral of the story? I probably gained 20 of my original 55 hp just by replacing my muffler, and excess back pressure can cause your engine to overheat and your muffler to explode ;)

Rest assured when K&N says their air filter adds XXX HP that they take a car that has a restricted intake, e.g. a turbo car where someone has upped the boost pressure, replaced the exhaust, but left the intake stock. If they put a K&N on a car like that it will definitely raise the HP. But putting a K&N stock replacement filter in a car doesn't do much of anything except provide you a lifetime warranty filter. With a generic product? They are probably outright lying.

That muffler states it is a straight through muffler. In otherwords it does no muffling, and you might as well put a straight pipe on your car with no muffler. A glass pack probably muffles better than that. It might actually raise the peak power slightly because it is removing the muffler. However, it is uggly, and I am sure it is cheap and would only last 1 year before it rusts away (I don't know how they could make stainless steel for that price). I also notice his feedback is only marginal, 97.4%, many of the negatives for deffective products. I personally only bid from people with more feed back and above 99% positive unless there is a good reason to do otherwise.

Tyler
03-07-2006, 08:24 PM
:hahano: :hahano:

davep-uk
03-07-2006, 09:08 PM
that looks like some real cut and shut rubbish. remus only sell full systems dont they?

DustenT
03-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I only says Remus in the title, not in the description. Ebayers do this so they are included in a broader search area.

It also says it's titanium, it's not.

It's just a stupid universal muffler.

mss318ti
03-08-2006, 12:08 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry. By the way Dusten, we are going to take a look at the catalytic converter section of the exhaust to see what we can do this week. Its a rather simple part to make just the problem of making time to do it at the moment. I would like to do a complete system because replacing one part wont show to much of a gain if your again limited down stream by the dual muffler setup of the ti, not saying it wouldnt help. But again I'll let you know what we come up with.

Greg Scrivner
SEAM
OEM & Performance BMW Parts

GDB
03-08-2006, 02:13 AM
I still don't understand the purpose of titanium exhaust.

mss318ti
03-08-2006, 09:34 AM
GDB,

The main advertising point is that it is lighter than stainless steel and it will allow you to loose more weight and also it extremely corrosion resistant and stands up well to heat, while this is true the cost vs benefit on an everyday car is ridiculous and I personally dont see a reason to use one on anything other than a race car or supercar, besides the "cool" factor. Just my opinion!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM

DustenT
03-08-2006, 02:54 PM
How soon do you think you'll have a working part? The only part that I need to keep is my Dinan muffler. I'd like to replace the entire exhaust system from the header collector back to the muffler.

I was going to stop at the local redneck muffler shop and see if one of the dudes would do some side work for me. If you think you can have a working part soon, I'll wait. PM me and let me know what you think.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, sorry. By the way Dusten, we are going to take a look at the catalytic converter section of the exhaust to see what we can do this week. Its a rather simple part to make just the problem of making time to do it at the moment. I would like to do a complete system because replacing one part wont show to much of a gain if your again limited down stream by the dual muffler setup of the ti, not saying it wouldnt help. But again I'll let you know what we come up with.

Greg Scrivner
SEAM

GDB
03-09-2006, 12:10 AM
GDB,

The main advertising point is that it is lighter than stainless steel and it will allow you to loose more weight and also it extremely corrosion resistant and stands up well to heat, while this is true the cost vs benefit on an everyday car is ridiculous and I personally dont see a reason to use one on anything other than a race car or supercar, besides the "cool" factor. Just my opinion!

Greg Scrivner
SEAM

Right, but the exhauts piping doesn't get hot enough for it to affect aluminum (atleast it usually doesn't) and aluminum is cheaper.

EDIT: after writing that I realized that we agree