PDA

View Full Version : Differences in DASC for M42 and M44

lkwd318ti
03-08-2006, 08:43 AM
Hey all you DASCers...
I was just wondering...
What's the difference between the DASC kit for the M42 and the kit for the M44...
Or is it the same?
DustenT (or anybody with a DASC+auto), how was the DASC on an automatic?
and...would it be worth it to put it on a car with approx 107k miles?
I tried to do a search but "M42" and "M44" were "too short or too common"
Thanks in advance guys...

-Randy

DustenT
03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
The DASC was great on the automatic. The only time I experienced a problem was when it was like -20 outside. The DASC will get "boost-creep" at temps that low and I was hitting over 10psi of boost. Between the extra boost and the super low temps, my tranny decided it didn't want to shift properly. Keep in mind I was doing full boost shifts, trying to destroy the auto tranny.

I don't think you will have any problems. It adds a ton of low end torque which makes the Ti soo much more fun to drive.

ZeroG
03-08-2006, 05:12 PM
Hey all you DASCers...
I was just wondering...
What's the difference between the DASC kit for the M42 and the kit for the M44...
Or is it the same?
DustenT (or anybody with a DASC+auto), how was the DASC on an automatic?
and...would it be worth it to put it on a car with approx 107k miles?
I tried to do a search but "M42" and "M44" were "too short or too common"
Thanks in advance guys...

-Randy

Randy,

What exactly are you trying to figure out? The kits are almost the same they just have different pieces to adapt them to the changes that BMW made to the engines. The boost and overall performance is the same between the two kits.

If you really want to know I guess I could list the pieces that changed from kit to kit. But I just don't see the relivance.

lkwd318ti
03-09-2006, 09:52 AM
I wanted to know the difference in the parts for each kit because there was someone on Bimmerforums who bought a DASC, but totalled his car before installing it. His car had the M42, and my car has an M44...
I wanted to buy it off of him, but apparently it's not available anymore...
But I would still like to know the differences, so everyone would know... Just in case someone with an M44 finds a DASC for an M42 for sale, or vice versa.
Thanks again.

-Randy

ZeroG
03-09-2006, 07:52 PM
I wanted to know the difference in the parts for each kit because there was someone on Bimmerforums who bought a DASC, but totalled his car before installing it. His car had the M42, and my car has an M44...
I wanted to buy it off of him, but apparently it's not available anymore...
But I would still like to know the differences, so everyone would know... Just in case someone with an M44 finds a DASC for an M42 for sale, or vice versa.
Thanks again.

-Randy

Well you can talk to Mendi3. He bought my DASC from my '99 Ti which he fit to his M42. I am sure that he can explain what he had to order to make the kit work.

The main differences would be the idler pulley bracket, MAF\AFM Bracket, plumbing for the fuel rail, ICV adpaters for an M44, Belt size, Secondairy Air Pump Bracket (M44). There maybe a few other things, buit those are some of the differences off the top of my head.

T-Huss
03-09-2006, 09:35 PM
i wanna know what engine i have?? i have a base model 1995 318ti

andyman7931
03-09-2006, 09:37 PM
i wanna know what engine i have?? i have a base model 1995 318ti

m42

T-Huss
03-11-2006, 07:41 AM
Thanks! yo i got another q? when i start out in 1st my car bucks like crazy unless i ride the clutch to smooth it out..i was racin and it started that night.. what could it be Engine Clutch,or Trans.? i was thinking it was the engine but it starts up fine and keeps a sturdy idle and all once im movin theres no problem..and its really pissin me off cause it makes me look like i dont know how to drive stick lol

318tiRedLeather
03-11-2006, 08:04 AM
That sounds like you burnt out the cluch but i could be wrong

T-Huss
03-11-2006, 08:17 AM
hopefully thats all ... well i think we all know how well our TI's do donuts and im notorious for doing them, probably did burn out the clutch, i do alot of downshifting cause my rotors need to be replaced, maybe thats also a contributing factor. by the way the red leather looks sweeet

dogcrapau
10-18-2007, 07:38 AM
i have a 318is automatic, could i DASC it?or will i have to modify the transmisson?