PDA

View Full Version : Momentum Driving

michaelhofastcar
03-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I read an article about 4-cylinder Bimmers being a momentum car and a good way to learn momentum driving. I do a search in this forum and found last year Steven (1996 328ti) mentioned, "a stock ti needs to carry momentum." AlaskaBlue replied, "That is exactly what Ben Burrell said. A 318ti is a great car for beginners because I would learn how to carry momentum."

I want to know exactly what it means: Does it mean not braking hard before turn in, floor the throttle before hitting apex? Or does it mean constant downshifting to get rev up? Does a momentum car follow a different line through the corner as compare to a higher power car?

1996 328ti
03-10-2006, 07:14 PM
It's keeping the revs up. Once you slow up it's tough to get going again.
Part of what determines the line is the weight of the car.

Smoothness is more important in a low hp car since you don't have the hp to cover mistakes.

A couple years ago a guy in a stock ti passed me at Mid-Ohio.
138hp vs 190hp. Clearly the guy knew how to drive.

andy
03-14-2006, 12:18 AM
Standard textbook driving would dictate a sequence of events like, "look, brake, turn, gas" - this is what they teach at any beginning track school, and it's a good place to start.

In a momentum situation, you have to get the gas on much earlier because you have to maximize the time on the gas. Part of that is done with a line maximized for the widest arcs possible, the other part is gassing earlier than would make sense in a car with any power. The sequence becomes more like "look, brake, gas, turn" instead. It seems strange, but once you can do that smoothly, it really works.

slacker
04-07-2006, 02:32 AM
I agree with Andy on this. It's much nicer with the supercharger but remains a momentum car none-the-less. As is a Miata...which in "Spec Miata" form will give us fits with way less horsies. R-compound tires help emensely (as with the Spec Miata) but the part about gas before turn is key. You kinda squeeze the trigger to balance it all out. As soon as braking is done...you should be on the gas and turning and work to elimate all coasting. The amount of gas depends on the amount of "push" ie understeer, or "loose" ie oversteer you experience. Push equals less gas, loose equals just enough to bring it around to your turn exit where you can unwind and go full throttle. If it pushes too much, you didn't brake soon enough or your setup is wrong. Any way you do it, it is the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
Gary

cali-ti
04-07-2006, 03:08 AM
dammit ... i need to get out tracking! :(

AlaskaBlue
04-07-2006, 03:46 AM
dammit ... i need to get out tracking! :(

You do, but it is dangerous...you will become addicted...and it will never end. :biggrin: Nothing wrong with that though.

cali-ti
04-07-2006, 04:07 AM
that's why i'm planning on getting a ti for track. i don't fear the addiction part :) i definitely want to be as safe as possible. be nice if the HANS were cheaper. guess that'd be after a get a roll cage anyway. just need to get out there and start doing it.

AlaskaBlue
04-07-2006, 04:10 AM
:smile: I was refering the dangerous part as being the addiction.

cali-ti
04-07-2006, 04:14 AM
:) have to balance that out with all the biking and such that the mrs likes to do. so much to do, so little time.

1996 328ti
04-07-2006, 04:28 AM
:) have to balance that out with all the biking and such that the mrs likes to do. so much to do, so little time.
The last time I was at VIR for 4 days we stayed on site.
http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=4&Itemid=45
My wife liked that a lot.:smile:
She wants to go back. Who am I to deny her?

SDKmann
04-07-2006, 05:10 PM
Id really love to get out to a track and have a little fun. Do they have driving schools that take you out on the track?

AlaskaBlue
04-07-2006, 06:24 PM
There are HPDEs (High Performance Driver Education) those give you track time. Search SCCA, NASA, and BMWCCA

michaelhofastcar
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
Id really love to get out to a track and have a little fun. Do they have driving schools that take you out on the track?
Join BMW CCA, they have driving schools beginning this time of the year. I am attending a prep session tomorrow.

andy
04-07-2006, 08:05 PM
I have to say as well, that my ti remained my track car for so long because it's inexpensive to run. A set of Axxis Ultimates per 4 full track days ($60) a set of front rotors every season or so ($80) and a set of Toyo RA1s might last 10-12 days before they're corded ($520 new or get BW scrubs for less) and it's a good package to get out there and go fast but not kill the back account.

Furthermore, the RA1s and the semi-trailing arms work well at larger slip angles which go with the momentum driving.

michaelhofastcar
04-08-2006, 03:14 AM
a set of Toyo RA1s might last 10-12 days before they're corded ($520 new or get BW scrubs for less)
Andy: What is BW scrubs? Do you mean previously used tires.

AlaskaBlue
04-08-2006, 03:22 AM
bimmerworld.com under clearance and used items. 100 dollars or 50 dollars apiece. Yes they were used on their race cars.

raj27
04-14-2006, 03:01 AM
i reading about how you have to keep the revs up, but i have an automatic. could i still "momentum drive" my car?