PDA

View Full Version : Bosal cat back exhausts $160!

96cali
03-16-2006, 11:24 PM
Step right up and get em while their hot... :eek:

http://www.seffects.com/parts/BRO248016.htm

These were very popular up till a few years ago when I think they discontinued them. Not too loud, prolly less than Stromung, more than SS. Must be old stock. I know nothing about the sale, availability, etc.

Platanos
03-16-2006, 11:31 PM
anyone actually have this installed? my stromung is too loud..lol

96cali
03-16-2006, 11:56 PM
Might want to ask on the Yahoo group as they tend to be, uh, "long standing" fans of the ti. Or search here for Bosal or Brospeed.

Not much pertaining to the Bosal unit but he's an old exhaust comparo:

http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/performance/e36_ti_exhaust_test.html

drkblu318ti
03-17-2006, 12:20 AM
Is it direct bolt on? And does anyone on here have one installed.. id really like to know if its as loud as the ss or the stromung... But this seem slike a steal! I want one.

DustenT
03-17-2006, 12:50 AM
I'll let you know as soon as it gets delivered, I just bought one.

Any interest in my Dinan muffler? I've never seen another one like it, ever. List price is $799 for the muffler. ;) I will consider $ or trade for other cool part(s).

I'll probably just cut the Bosal muffler off and weld the Dinan muffler back on, I guess I'll have to see how the Bosal sounds first. Clegg with the SVT Focus has a Bosal system. It's got a really great sound to it.

chepas
03-17-2006, 01:21 AM
here is a link to a prior thread
http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2195

gets a little off topic at the end, got some feedback.

I might get me one... I love tax return MONEY!!!!:cool:

Mothman
03-17-2006, 01:46 AM
I knew I should have keep that last 1k. Now all these great offers are coming out! DANG IT!!!! (banging head on desk) REPEATEDLY!!!!!

jmir14
03-17-2006, 02:13 AM
I just picked this up..I did some research on bf's and dtmpower and everyone seems to love it. I need a new exhaust because the guy who owned my car before me was older and wanted to apparently sound like a ricer and went and put a cheap autozone 3ARACING dtm style muffler. I will give it to him becase he did do a good install it is nice looking. Other than that it sounds like a ricer. Well first one to to get the BOSAL installed let us know how it is. :biggrin:

I'm ordering a DASC and thinking about the NickG Stage 3. Hope this exhuast does good with it. Someone on the other forums was saying the BOSAL could kill power with the DASC any thoughts? Its not making sense to me.

drkblu318ti
03-17-2006, 03:22 AM
Some one pleaseeeee make a video... i want to hear if its too loud...

snwbrdrbum10
03-17-2006, 07:21 AM
i just bought this as well. 194 incl. shipping! cant go wrong!!!

andyman7931
03-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I hope this is good. I just ordered one, my stock muffler is almost rusted out, this will look good in its place :)

This can't be any louder than the muffler that was on my m5 when I bought it. A genuine apex N1 without the sound baffle installed! It was so loud I could hardly hear the stock stereo. I installed the sound damper and kept it for a few months before selling it to a friend who wanted to go the way of the rice.

drkblu318ti
03-17-2006, 04:29 PM
Is it direct bolt on? Or do you have to weld? And does anyone have a picture of this installed?

DustenT
03-17-2006, 05:01 PM
Is it direct bolt on? Or do you have to weld? And does anyone have a picture of this installed?

Bolt on.

jmir14
03-21-2006, 11:52 PM
I just got my bosal catback in, it only took 4 days! It is the best $160 I ever spent! It came wrapped up so tight it took me like 15 mins. to unwrap it. But, it was well worth it. The whole exhaust was chrome, i believe the picture on the site doesn't show it in all chrome. It sounds nice, not to loud and not to soft. I couldn't get any pictures because my digital camera craped out on me. I'm going to try to make a sound clip or something if someone doesn't get to it first. I takes 2 bolts( That take more time to take off than anything.) and 3 Hangers, real simple install. This is really a good buy if anyone is looking into a new exhaust.

madfronter
03-22-2006, 02:32 AM
I just ordered one as well. I hope we all like it. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend so I can install it when I install my cat.

andyman7931
03-22-2006, 02:40 AM
I'm pleased with the looks and quality of mine... I'll hopefully install it on Sat if I don't go out of town, I'll take some comparison pics if anyone is interested I can post them.

DustenT
03-22-2006, 02:42 AM
I'm pleased with the looks and quality of mine... I'll hopefully install it on Sat if I don't go out of town, I'll take some comparison pics if anyone is interested I can post them.

Post pics now!!

andyman7931
03-22-2006, 02:52 AM
Post pics now!!

didn't you order one too? I don't have pics yet, you're just going to have to wait.

cali-ti
03-22-2006, 03:07 AM
lol ... yes, he did. he's supposed to get it tomorrow or the day after if i remember correctly :)

i remember getting my supersprint delivered too ... it looked like a freakin' mummy!

cali-ti
03-22-2006, 03:09 AM
OH ... one of you guys weigh that bastard before install and PM me the info so i can add it to the exhaust KB article! please!

jmir14
03-22-2006, 03:15 AM
I knew I wanted to do something and that was to weight it, i was to anxious to get it installed i forgot,:frown: sorry guys... but it was not heavy at all my shipping label said "32lbs" in the box packaged.

DustenT
03-22-2006, 04:05 AM
I knew I wanted to do something and that was to weight it, i was to anxious to get it installed i forgot,:frown: sorry guys... but it was not heavy at all my shipping label said "32lbs" in the box packaged.

I'll weight mine when it arrives. It should be here Thursday.

snwbrdrbum10
03-22-2006, 05:07 AM
i'm supposed to get mine on friday! But i cant wait! How long doe it take from start to finish?

jmir14
03-22-2006, 05:52 AM
i'm supposed to get mine on friday! But i cant wait! How long doe it take from start to finish?

Well, it didn't take to long. Most of the time was geting the bolts off the flanges that connect to the catalytic converter. It took a good 20-30 minutes just for the bolts getting them off and going to buy new ones. (Getting off the bolts was mostly whenching away, rounding off the bolts because they consisted mostly of rust and then moving onto vice grips. You might want to pick up some new blots because I snaped one and the other one was striped and the kit doesn't come with any)I did this in my driveway with the car backed onto ramps, it gave me plenty of room to work under the car.) The rest is just sliding the exhaust onto the hangers. 10 mins total. The kit comes with pretty straight forward directions. It took me 40-45 mins from start to finish. It all depends on how long it takes to get those damn bolts off! It was well worth it.:biggrin:

snwbrdrbum10
03-22-2006, 06:14 AM
Well, it didn't take to long. Most of the time was geting the bolts off the flanges that connect to the catalytic converter. It took a good 20-30 minutes just for the bolts getting them off and going to buy new ones. (Getting off the bolts was mostly whenching away, rounding off the bolts because they consisted mostly of rust and then moving onto vice grips. You might want to pick up some new blots because I snaped one and the other one was striped and the kit doesn't come with any)I did this in my driveway with the car backed onto ramps, it gave me plenty of room to work under the car.) The rest is just sliding the exhaust onto the hangers. 10 mins total. The kit comes with pretty straight forward directions. It took me 40-45 mins from start to finish. It all depends on how long it takes to get those damn bolts off! It was well worth it.:biggrin:

where do u get these locking bolts @?

96cali
03-22-2006, 06:25 AM
I think we should all donate $10 to 96cali to use towards his own Bosal for pointing out such an awesome deal. Who's with me? :biggrin:

jmir14
03-22-2006, 06:33 AM
where do u get these locking bolts @?

At a local hardware store or parts store works. They are not locking bolts thought. In the picture there is a empty spot on the bolt and a spring goes in that spot from the old bolts. You will see what I mean when you take a look.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1975&cat=532

2 of these bolts and 2 nuts are all you need for the whole install. The springs come from the old bolt and nut setup.
I don't know the size because I just took the old ones to the parts store with me to grab a new set.

madfronter
03-22-2006, 04:09 PM
I think we should all donate $10 to 96cali to use towards his own Bosal for pointing out such an awesome deal. Who's with me? :biggrin:

Thanks 96cali for the link! Here's my $10 donation.

mphmotorwerks
03-23-2006, 06:29 AM
Hey for those of you that have them can one of you get a sound bit....like start up, drive by, stopped and go....etc?

snwbrdrbum10
03-23-2006, 06:21 PM
At a local hardware store or parts store works. They are not locking bolts thought. In the picture there is a empty spot on the bolt and a spring goes in that spot from the old bolts. You will see what I mean when you take a look.

http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1975&cat=532

2 of these bolts and 2 nuts are all you need for the whole install. The springs come from the old bolt and nut setup.
I don't know the size because I just took the old ones to the parts store with me to grab a new set.

do u by chance have the part number off the bag they came in? or does anyone know the part number to these? I really dont want to get the exaust off, and have to drive, un-muffled to the parts store, only to get pulled over...lol...rather get them ahead of time...so any help?

jmir14
03-23-2006, 06:47 PM
do u by chance have the part number off the bag they came in? or does anyone know the part number to these? I really dont want to get the exaust off, and have to drive, un-muffled to the parts store, only to get pulled over...lol...rather get them ahead of time...so any help?

I looked at my slip from the parts store and they rang up "Misc 999" but they are a 13mm bolts. But check this out.... numbers 4,5,and 6. It gives you part numbers. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506&btnr=18_0235&hg=18&fg=20

cali-ti
03-23-2006, 06:53 PM
believe bolt is 13mm and nut is 12mm (or the other way around).

DustenT
03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
The entire cat-back exhaust section weights 24 lbs. The tip is a 3.5" single round tip. The piping itself looks like it's 2 1/4" front to back, all mandrel bent. I'm pleased to see they didn't flatten a section of the piping like they do on the OEM exhaust. It looks like this will hang a bit lower than stock, but that's the price you pay for better flow. The welds look great, so does the finish, they really polished the hell out of this thing! Pics:

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Tires_008.sized.jpg

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Tires_007.sized.jpg

http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Tires_006.sized.jpg

DustenT
03-24-2006, 04:09 PM
http://180customs.net/v-web/gallery/albums/BMW/Tires_009.sized.jpg

cali-ti
03-24-2006, 04:18 PM
thanks for the weight measurement. i'll update the KB article. hopefully it stays nice and shiny. i prefer black/subdued, but the most important thing is longevity. you're installing this weekend, right? get your angle grinder ready, it makes quick work of those rusted bolts.

flex_318
03-24-2006, 04:43 PM
Has anyone made a video yet?

DustenT
03-24-2006, 04:47 PM
Has anyone made a video yet?

I'll have a video ready tonight after I install it. I'll do a quick comparision of my Dinan muffler-only exhaust vs. the Bosal cat-back exhaust.

snwbrdrbum10
03-24-2006, 05:52 PM
the ups guy is litterally outside my house , and is dropping off my system now..i'll be back later! fun time! now i just have to get new bolts first

snwbrdrbum10
03-24-2006, 07:02 PM
so, it's a 13mm bolt, but anyone know how long it is? I'm planning on replacing the nuts and bolts, leaving the springs. but i'm going to go to home depot, and was wondering how long the bolts are/need to be?

rendoll911
03-24-2006, 07:13 PM
the raised the price 5 bucks!

snwbrdrbum10
03-24-2006, 07:14 PM
a whole 5 dollars...whoa...lol...they're sellin, make a little more...still a steal if you ask me

schultz318
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
Will this fit a 99 318ti?
Thanks

cali-ti
03-24-2006, 07:20 PM
so, it's a 13mm bolt, but anyone know how long it is? I'm planning on replacing the nuts and bolts, leaving the springs. but i'm going to go to home depot, and was wondering how long the bolts are/need to be?
according to the ETK, they appear to be M8 bolts and are 85mm long (from bottom of the head to the tip of the threaded end - i just measured to confirm):

04 HEX BOLT WITH WASHER M8X85-Z1-ZNS

rendoll911
03-24-2006, 07:20 PM
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/mmp/bmw~318ti~muffler~parts.html
is this the same exhaust for 182.56 with free shipping?

snwbrdrbum10
03-24-2006, 10:20 PM
bosal is installed, and sounds great...love the deep grumble

rendoll911
03-24-2006, 10:21 PM
i just ordered mine... where's all the pictures!?

jmir14
03-24-2006, 10:25 PM
bosal is installed, and sounds great...love the deep grumble

Good buy wasn't it? I like mine a lot too. How was your install? :biggrin:

snwbrdrbum10
03-24-2006, 10:33 PM
Good buy wasn't it? I like mine a lot too. How was your install? :biggrin:
install was super easy, my nuts and bolts and springs had really no rust, so i just reused. it hangs a bit to the right, but i'll fix that. also, i had kinda a difficult time getting the attachement setup right, i had to fix it twice, cuz i had leaks, where it connects by the cat,

jmir14
03-24-2006, 10:49 PM
install was super easy, my nuts and bolts and springs had really no rust, so i just reused. it hangs a bit to the right, but i'll fix that. also, i had kinda a difficult time getting the attachement setup right, i had to fix it twice, cuz i had leaks, where it connects by the cat,

Wow, Lucky you with your bolts mine really sucked! But it's all good, do you find your exhaust raspy at times because mine was and now it has been a couple of days and it's a nice tone all the time.

titanium
03-24-2006, 11:01 PM
Can someone tell me if the exhaust is really loud? how does it compare with the supersprint? Thanks...

96cali
03-24-2006, 11:05 PM
Not sure, might just be the muffler. The deal I posted is for a full cat back system.

jmir14
03-24-2006, 11:14 PM
Can someone tell me if the exhaust is really loud? how does it compare with the supersprint? Thanks...

I found discussion of the supersprint vs the bosal at bimmerforums.com take a look some good info for you....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36822&highlight=bosal

snwbrdrbum10
03-25-2006, 04:22 AM
Wow, Lucky you with your bolts mine really sucked! But it's all good, do you find your exhaust raspy at times because mine was and now it has been a couple of days and it's a nice tone all the time.

ya, it's real clean between 2500 and 3000rpm, but it is a little raspy above that. and below, its clean, but not quite so loud. hopefully it's jsut working it's way in

96cali
03-25-2006, 05:59 AM
LOL I started that thread too- in 2002! :tongue:

I found discussion of the supersprint vs the bosal at bimmerforums.com take a look some good info for you....

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36822&highlight=bosal

DustenT
03-25-2006, 09:01 AM
I got mine on tonight. When I fired it up, it sounded like crap, really tinny and ricey. I took it for a ride and got it warmed up and the sound completely changed. It's much louder than my Dinan setup, but it makes a huge difference, probably because of the supercharger. I like it.

yadahbliss
03-25-2006, 10:05 AM
I've had this exhaust since 1999. Its been extremely good. Especially on the price to performance side. It will be louder than stock (of course) but it should sound very raspy and much deeper... a more refined sound.

Since then, I've added a s/c, headers, and hollowed out the midpipe. The exhaust's sound changed slightly, meaner... but still not extremely loud. It seems louder in the cabin than it actually is outside.

In my opinion, if you are looking for a good sounding exhaust for an excellent value, you can't go wrong w/ this one. The equivalent supersprint one will run 3x as much.

Install is simple, just hangers and maybe a handy hammer to break the midpipe loose. If you are looking for justification, it "should" increase your gas mileage ever so slightly, not to mention a small hp gain and a really cool sounding car!

Platanos
03-25-2006, 01:51 PM
do you guys think its as loud as a stromung?

J!m
03-25-2006, 02:56 PM
I don't see the problem. I can belch at over 100dB (verified with dB meter)...:biggrin:

cali-ti
03-25-2006, 03:03 PM
lol! reminds me of the time i belched really loud in the car with my gf at the time and she swerved because she thought she hit something :)

can you maintain that belch level for an 8 hour trip like the exhaust would? ;)

J!m
03-25-2006, 03:11 PM
No, unfortunately not.

I tried once, and my pancreas came up. Most embarassing...:redface:

mphmotorwerks
03-25-2006, 09:09 PM
Hey for those of you that have them now, can you please post some sound or video clips......I'm wanting to hear or see this before I buy

jmir14
03-26-2006, 01:47 AM
lol! reminds me of the time i belched really loud in the car with my gf at the time and she swerved because she thought she hit something :)

can you maintain that belch level for an 8 hour trip like the exhaust would? ;)

That was a good Laugh-thanks

snwbrdrbum10
03-26-2006, 04:36 AM
Hey for those of you that have them now, can you please post some sound or video clips......I'm wanting to hear or see this before I buy

i'll try to get someup by tomorrow

DustenT
03-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I made a video, but the exhaust is so loud it screwed up my camera microphone. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit. This exhaust may be too loud for those of you that don't want something loud. IT'S LOUD.

snwbrdrbum10
03-26-2006, 05:26 PM
I made a video, but the exhaust is so loud it screwed up my camera microphone. I'll see if I can clean it up a bit. This exhaust may be too loud for those of you that don't want something loud. IT'S LOUD.

It is loud, i love driving under underpasses and revving it up. sounds so solid and mean! but i encountered the same problem with the mic and being too loud for it. idk. dont know what else to do...oh one more thing...does yours hang a little off-center to the right?

DustenT
03-26-2006, 05:32 PM
It is loud, i love driving under underpasses and revving it up. sounds so solid and mean! but i encountered the same problem with the mic and being too loud for it. idk. dont know what else to do...oh one more thing...does yours hang a little off-center to the right?

Yes, I'm guessing that's why they sold them so cheap. They must have screwed up the mandrel bend, because it's off by about 1/4 inch. I'll crawl under there this week and see what can be bent to fix it, it should be easy to correct.

snwbrdrbum10
03-26-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, I'm guessing that's why they sold them so cheap. They must have screwed up the mandrel bend, because it's off by about 1/4 inch. I'll crawl under there this week and see what can be bent to fix it, it should be easy to correct.

kemme know what you find out, if it takes zipties, that's what it'll take..lol. but would rather a better

mphmotorwerks
03-27-2006, 01:35 AM
You guys say that is it is really loud but the question is does it sound good, or does it sound very ricey

mphmotorwerks
03-27-2006, 02:20 AM
Hey...I was just doing a little research on this system also and according to the Bosal website, the part number that they are selling these exhaust systems under are for a 318is.....but if they are working with the 318ti set-up all is well I guess. and I also talked with a sales rep from the other website metioned a few posts back regard them selling it for 182 shipped. A. the guy wasn't very helpful and B. He didn't even know if the 2 systems were the same. So if your going to be buying the exhuast prob go through the first website: http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/BRO248016.htm

rendoll911
03-27-2006, 05:00 AM
any pics of the exhaust installed?

DustenT
03-27-2006, 05:30 PM
Sorry it took so long....

Bosal exhaust video: http://180customs.net/video/exhaust.wmv 29.8mb

schultz318
03-27-2006, 07:13 PM
I just ordered the Bosal sytem. $160.00 plus shipping, I told them about the $5.00 increase and they took it off. They said it is a typo in the system. I can't wait to see how it works. They said they been selling these like mad, I'm sure partly because of this website. Thanks again 96CALI.

stormos
03-27-2006, 07:44 PM
is it me or is that a s13 200sx next to your car D ?

DustenT
03-27-2006, 07:57 PM
is it me or is that a s13 200sx next to your car D ?

We call it a 240sx (KA24DE, not the SR20DET like you get!), and yes, that's what it is. It's my friend's winter car.

snwbrdrbum10
03-27-2006, 08:01 PM
ahh...love the exaust..lol..thanks for the vid clip. although it doesnt sound exactly how it does in real life...a lot deeper i think, in real life

rendoll911
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
the ehaust doesnt look off center in the video, but i guess its a weird angle

snwbrdrbum10
03-27-2006, 08:26 PM
the ehaust doesnt look off center in the video, but i guess its a weird angle

it hangs a bit to the right, but definetly the angle.

stormos
03-27-2006, 08:48 PM
We call it a 240sx (KA24DE, not the SR20DET like you get!), and yes, that's what it is. It's my friend's winter car.

we only got the SR20DET in the S14,S14a and S15 models.

The S13 came with a CA18DET effectively making it a 180sx, but still called a 200sx.

strange i know....

GDB
03-27-2006, 09:06 PM
Did you use the VHT stuff on your tails? Looks pretty good.

mphmotorwerks
03-27-2006, 11:48 PM
Sounds good.....time to break down and buy I think

Sorry it took so long....

Bosal exhaust video: http://180customs.net/video/exhaust.wmv 29.8mb

madfronter
03-29-2006, 03:43 PM
My bosal arrived on monday and I installed it last night after work. It took about half an hour to install. I'm pretty impressed with the quality of the exausts construction and soud. It has a nice low grumble that isnt too loud. This was an awesome buy. Thanks again 96cali!

318ti_Portugal
03-29-2006, 05:14 PM
Hello...

Can anyone please post a picture of the exhaust installed with Mtec rear bumper? I really need to see how the exhaust hangs... :)

Thanks a million!

forum116
03-29-2006, 09:15 PM
Mine will be here on friday and installed this weekend.

mphmotorwerks
04-03-2006, 05:48 AM
Well I finally broke down and bought mine...should be here in a week or so.

mischief
04-03-2006, 06:17 AM
if its to loud for some of you guys add a resonator
and some resonators add a lower sound

forum116
04-03-2006, 01:38 PM
Well I got it put in yesterday. Took all of 30 minutes to get it in. Lined up dead center and sounds good. It is quieter than my integra and has a nice rumble to it. Thanks to 96cali for the heads up.

halobeamin
04-03-2006, 02:15 PM
i had a flowmaster on my truck that could take ALL of you in sound, unfortunately i wouldn't make my bimmer loud :)
(once again, girlie says no)

but this IS a good offer for those of you who are interested :biggrin:

stormos
04-03-2006, 05:40 PM
who's going to post one to the UK then ?

i bet it costs a sh1t load :(

mischief
04-03-2006, 07:17 PM
i had a flowmaster on my truck that could take ALL of you in sound, unfortunately i wouldn't make my bimmer loud :)
(once again, girlie says no)

but this IS a good offer for those of you who are interested :biggrin:

you can run flowmasters on the 318ti it depends on what serier's muffler
the 60 Series Delta Flow are not so loud there made for compact cars

my supercharger 318ti has the 50 Series HD
with a cat and 2 resonators still loud
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=10A2C55F-2109-421F-AE1C-57989B68A275

mphmotorwerks
04-05-2006, 12:37 AM
My is suppose to be here on Thur....can wait...starting to lose sleep....lol

marleymon
04-05-2006, 06:28 AM
I'm in- it should be here next week. To the guys who already got one...
is it all satinless? or just the tip? I think the brospeed is all stainless right?
I can't wait to hear it. I almost ordered a brospeed a year ago for $450.
jdogg

forum116
04-05-2006, 01:24 PM
It is full stainless.

halobeamin
04-05-2006, 01:38 PM
you can run flowmasters on the 318ti it depends on what serier's muffler
the 60 Series Delta Flow are not so loud there made for compact cars

my supercharger 318ti has the 50 Series HD
with a cat and 2 resonators still loud
http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=10A2C55F-2109-421F-AE1C-57989B68A275

i could just add a tip to my current muffler, because i want mine to be quiet anyway... the less the motor internals, the more the music internals

60 series delta flow, i'm pretty sure, doesn't fit very well anyway

once i get the intake in, i'll decide what to do, i may order it tomorrow

mphmotorwerks
04-06-2006, 11:48 PM
Just got mine today, install took about a hour minus the run to the store for the new bolts. Weighed both; Stock was 37 lbs, Bosal was 25 lbs. Pictures soon to come, just have to transfer from my other computer.

NOBOGYZ
04-07-2006, 02:25 PM
I have one on order:biggrin: Thanks for the great find! and all the great information.

rendoll911
04-07-2006, 02:28 PM
i was gonna install mine the other night but i got under the car and couldnt get those damn bolts off... what methods did you guys use to get them off?

jmir14
04-07-2006, 09:21 PM
To get my bolts off.. I took a pair of vice grips and clamped them on the nut as hard as i could and wrenched off the bolt. One bolt snaped in half the other just came undone.. its a slow process. Use some Pbblaster..or penetrating catalyist(spelling im not sure on that?).

cali-ti
04-07-2006, 09:26 PM
i was gonna install mine the other night but i got under the car and couldnt get those damn bolts off... what methods did you guys use to get them off?
i prefer the angle grinder method :) you can then hammer out the bolts which are likely rusted right in there. not like you're going to reuse them, right? :)

96cali
04-07-2006, 10:49 PM
I was just counting and I come up with 11 people who ordered:

DustenT
ljmir14
snwbrdrbum10
andyman7931
madfronter
rendoll911
schultz318
forum116
mphmotorwerks
marleymon
NOBOGYZ

Wow! That's a lot! I was intending to order when I stumbled onto my SS deal. Wonder if anyone else ordered the Bosal?

stormos
04-07-2006, 10:54 PM
i'd buy it if uk shipping was possible/cheap.

mphmotorwerks
04-08-2006, 02:44 AM
My install took me about a hour......bolts were all rusty.....shot of WD-40, vice grips, and 13mm socket with a breaker bar and both just snapped off. I think the hardest part was get the dam rubber hangers to come off the car to get the exhaust to drop.

rendoll911
04-08-2006, 05:07 PM
just got the exhaust on the car and damn does it sound good... best $200 ive ever spent on my car. Also, mine was off a little to the right but that was easily fixed with a ziptie.

stormos
04-08-2006, 08:04 PM
GRRRRR. If only UK shipping was an option....

halobeamin
04-08-2006, 08:12 PM
i think i'm gonna do this now. ya'll are raving about this, and since i installed my COLD AIR INTAKE BY MYSELF (no mech. knowledge almost), I want more more more. gotta do it. get paid the 15th, hopefully this is still running !!!

cali-ti
04-08-2006, 11:37 PM
My install took me about a hour......bolts were all rusty.....shot of WD-40, vice grips, and 13mm socket with a breaker bar and both just snapped off. I think the hardest part was get the dam rubber hangers to come off the car to get the exhaust to drop.
some kind of spray lube would help it to slip out.

snwbrdrbum10
04-09-2006, 03:14 AM
i think i'm gonna do this now. ya'll are raving about this, and since i installed my COLD AIR INTAKE BY MYSELF (no mech. knowledge almost), I want more more more. gotta do it. get paid the 15th, hopefully this is still running !!!
that's the easiest thing to do..install intake, although the exaust is pretty damn easy too. just gotta work the rubber holders to get that "bit*h" outta there Cuz it took me 20 minutes to get the old system off the rubber hangers.

96cali
04-09-2006, 03:22 AM

Have you inquired as to direct overseas shipping? Maybe you should just find a cheap ticket toi the US and have one shipped to a member?

halobeamin
04-09-2006, 06:12 AM
that's the easiest thing to do..install intake, although the exaust is pretty damn easy too. just gotta work the rubber holders to get that "bit*h" outta there Cuz it took me 20 minutes to get the old system off the rubber hangers.

did i mention i have no engine knowledge lol.. i loved doing it though.. had a blast

PeteN95
04-09-2006, 06:46 AM
I just got mine on today, took about 20 minutes. Both the bolts and stock exhaust are rust free, love living in a state without salt. Sound is nice, low rumble, not too loud at speed. Mine is centered, but the tip is a little lower than the stock one. Awesome system for the money, thanks!

halobeamin
04-09-2006, 06:59 AM
yes i'm definitely ordering this on the 15th, if not sooner..

i've seen they've already raised the price 5$

318pilot
04-09-2006, 02:11 PM

Do you not like the Magnex you have now? I was thinking about picking one up when I was over there in a few months and bring it back.

stormos
04-09-2006, 07:39 PM
Do you not like the Magnex you have now? I was thinking about picking one up when I was over there in a few months and bring it back.

It's alright, handy to have a spare though :)

J!m
04-11-2006, 10:43 PM
For general information:

Silicone spray lubricant will have the rubber hangars apart in no time. It also makes re-assembly smooth as silk.

ChItalian1027
04-12-2006, 01:51 AM

cosmo has a cold air intake wow i thought no body really made a cold air intake!!

halobeamin
04-12-2006, 01:53 AM
carbonio makes a good one.. lots of people do (:confused:)

i don't know what you speak

ChItalian1027
04-12-2006, 01:56 AM
i prefer the angle grinder method :) you can then hammer out the bolts which are likely rusted right in there. not like you're going to reuse them, right? :)
if i was you i would torch them!! but hey i don't have a torch but you could force them off with a little WD-40? i don't really know because i haven't really done anything to my car!!

ChItalian1027
04-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Sounds good.....time to break down and buy I think
god that sounded nice!! http://180customs.net/video/exhaust.wmv

halobeamin
04-12-2006, 02:07 AM
i'm ordering mine in 4 days

mphmotorwerks
04-12-2006, 04:37 PM

I check both FedEx and UPS and it would cost a extra 260 buck to get it shipped for here to London. Above the cost of the exhaust. :eek:

KetteringTi
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
Ordered mine last night. What has been the average turnaround for you guys?

stormos
04-12-2006, 07:07 PM
260 bucks! fcuk that ;)

KetteringTi
04-13-2006, 03:21 AM
DAMN! I ordered my exhaust the night before last and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Gotta love living close to the dist. center. :cool:

marleymon
04-15-2006, 05:25 PM
DAMN! I ordered my exhaust the night before last and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow! Gotta love living close to the dist. center. :cool:
did they send you a tracking#? Is your's arriving fedex or UPS?
I'm still waiting- I think he said Baltimore? to Detroit....

halobeamin
04-17-2006, 05:33 PM
they sent me one (tracking #) -- it should be arriving here any minute.. i'm already changed and ready to put it on :)!!!

also the guy emailed me, because i emailed him a question, and there were 3 left on Thursday.. so i'd hurry if you want one... don't know if one will be left for you

Rhys H
04-18-2006, 10:07 AM
Ordered my Bosal ehxaust on sunday, nice way to spend easter...drooling over the pictures of it. Cant wait to get mine and be as satisfied as everyone else, I just hope something doesnt go wrong and for some reason they have none left.

marleymon
04-18-2006, 02:05 PM
...you mean something like: "where's my bosal?" "did you get an invoice?" "yes" "was your account charged?" "yes" "we don't have an order, something must have went wrong when you ordered" "I was charged" "as soon as we confirm, we'll ship one out" "I ordered on the 4th...thanks"

halobeamin
04-18-2006, 02:40 PM
i do hope you get one.. but even by easter that's 3 days after i was told there were 3 left :)

vewwwy interesting..

this exhaust is beautiful though.. mine showed up at my door yesterday morning and I plan on putting it on today, of course after laying on the beach with the g (and work, blah)

KetteringTi
04-18-2006, 05:02 PM
I got mine on Friday after work, it looks great! I'm still on the fence about the sound. It has a little bit of blattiness to it, which is pretty ricey. On the other hand, according to the @$$ dyno, the car does have a little more pop to it.

DustenT
04-18-2006, 05:42 PM
I got mine on Friday after work, it looks great! I'm still on the fence about the sound. It has a little bit of blattiness to it, which is pretty ricey. On the other hand, according to the @$$ dyno, the car does have a little more pop to it.

I agree, it's very ricey. Lucky for me, the DASC makes way more noise than the exhaust does.

andyman7931
04-18-2006, 10:13 PM
On the other hand, according to the @$$ dyno, the car does have a little more pop to it.

I finally got around to installing mine on Saturday after letting it sit in the garage for about 3 weeks. I thought it was a tad faster, but wasn't sure, could have been psychological. I hadn't driven my car for almost a week before that, so my butt dyno wasn't tuned very well anyway. Did other people feel it made their cars faster?

Also upon installing mine I inspected the rest of the exhaust and found that I think my cat has been replaced before. I just got this car and know nothing about the history of it, but the cat looks like a big oval thing with no heat shield on it. Is this normal for a ti, or is it a midas special? I didn't really see weld marks or a joint where the pipe was spliced, so I'm guessing that the whole downpipe was replaced with the cat if it's not original. My other 98 ti doesn't have a cat like this.

DustenT
04-18-2006, 10:28 PM
I felt a huge increase, but I have forced induction too. I'll be removing the cat, as soon as someone sells me a test pipe. :smile:

pdxmotorhead
04-18-2006, 11:52 PM
I finally got around to installing mine on Saturday after letting it sit in the garage for about 3 weeks. I thought it was a tad faster, but wasn't sure, could have been psychological. I hadn't driven my car for almost a week before that, so my butt dyno wasn't tuned very well anyway. Did other people feel it made their cars faster?

Also upon installing mine I inspected the rest of the exhaust and found that I think my cat has been replaced before. I just got this car and know nothing about the history of it, but the cat looks like a big oval thing with no heat shield on it. Is this normal for a ti, or is it a midas special? I didn't really see weld marks or a joint where the pipe was spliced, so I'm guessing that the whole downpipe was replaced with the cat if it's not original. My other 98 ti doesn't have a cat like this.

IF its smooth with no seams in sight thats a very expensive metal cat.. I just bought one for 225 bucks.
Very high flow. A good welder is going to weld the pipe to the cat and likely have prebent a new headpipe.

Dave

halobeamin
04-19-2006, 06:04 AM
ok ok ok

MINE's IN TOO!!!!!!

i put it in this afternoon with the same dude as always (the two of us always work on the other's car)

anyway.. it's a beautiful exhaust for those of you who are still undecided.. and i finally took pictures of it, my engine, and one or two of the outside before the hids/ccs, and ill take a couple on friday after the hids/ccs are installed..

but after we installed it and i cranked it the first time.. a dustload flew from the exhaust and we test-drove it around my housing development..

i felt a huge increase, but i have forced induction too.

i also felt a considerable increase in either torque or horsepower because my car actually surprised me a little bit when i stepped down and my head flew back..

excellent excellent excellent and beautiful for the money..

awesome find 96cali :biggrin:

the51
04-19-2006, 04:34 PM
I hope they have some left next week, can't wait.

snwbrdrbum10
04-19-2006, 04:46 PM
I hope they have some left next week, can't wait.

Good luck...3 as of last week. The longer i have this on the more i love it..i jumped from 28.5 MPG(all around) to 30.9MPG..it's awesome...

the51
04-19-2006, 04:51 PM
Good luck...3 as of last week. The longer i have this on the more i love it..i jumped from 28.5 MPG(all around) to 30.9MPG..it's awesome...

How do you guys get soo much, I have a 97 M44 and i get around 20mpg.

marleymon
04-19-2006, 06:08 PM
NICE!!
it showed up today!!!

a couple small dings, but nuthin major....can't wait t hear it!

I just talked to SFX-
ONLY 2 LEFT- grab one!!
sound like about 60 of us got one!

oh man...still waiting on my sport bilsteins' to start my tA install....i'm gonna have to drool over this for another week unless they magically arrive by the weekend...

Joshua

the51
04-19-2006, 06:37 PM
ahhhhhhhhh!!! Are they going to restock? Does anybody not want their's?

3184ever
04-20-2006, 02:43 AM
i just ordered one :-D im stoked!!!!

Rhys H
04-20-2006, 04:32 AM
I got a email back from SFX and apparently they dont take credit card payments from foreign countries, which in this case is Canada. Apparently I am going to have to send the payment through western union. So my question is even though i already ordered it is there any chance they would give it to someone else because they havent actually received the money yet? I would be really taken aback if i didnt get one because there is NO other cat back for our cars for this cheap of a price and for this kind of quality..... If there is a alternative around the same price please let me know!

halobeamin
04-20-2006, 05:06 AM
ahhhhhhhhh!!! Are they going to restock? Does anybody not want their's?

lol nope this is all of them .. clearance sale of old stock

i've already installed mine :biggrin:

thorry call them !!

the51
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I got a email back from SFX and apparently they dont take credit card payments from foreign countries, which in this case is Canada. Apparently I am going to have to send the payment through western union. So my question is even though i already ordered it is there any chance they would give it to someone else because they havent actually received the money yet? I would be really taken aback if i didnt get one because there is NO other cat back for our cars for this cheap of a price and for this kind of quality..... If there is a alternative around the same price please let me know!

Bosal does make another exhaust system that is stainless steel.

http://autopartsworld.com/new/product_availability.asp?product_number=H5031-117028&web_brand_id=bosal&web_name_id=exhaust-system-kit&year=1997&web_make_id=bmw&web_model_id=318ti&x=63&y=7

What do you guys think of this one?^

DustenT
04-20-2006, 04:18 PM

http://autopartsworld.com/new/product_availability.asp?product_number=H5031-117028&web_brand_id=bosal&web_name_id=exhaust-system-kit&year=1997&web_make_id=bmw&web_model_id=318ti&x=63&y=7

This cat-back system for $160 is fully polished 304 stainless as well.

the51
04-20-2006, 04:41 PM
This cat-back system for $160 is fully polished 304 stainless as well.

Yes i realize this but someone was asking if there were any others. and plus there is only one left of the $160 ones.

halobeamin
04-20-2006, 05:08 PM

What do you guys think of this one?^

i think it's $290 more... and the other one was excellente.

the51
04-20-2006, 06:23 PM
Yeah, I'm hoping there will be some left by next friday, but I doubt it.

halobeamin
04-20-2006, 06:25 PM
cbristow@seffects.com

email him: he's the one who i contacted when i had a question, and ask

i'm sure he'll reply with stock left

the51
04-20-2006, 06:40 PM
Just emailed him, but I'm sure they won't be able to hold any for me or have any left by next week.

halobeamin
04-20-2006, 06:45 PM
Just emailed him, but I'm sure they won't be able to hold any for me or have any left by next week.

as my dad always said, "you never know until you try."

the51
04-20-2006, 08:50 PM
They have one left! :tears:

a2xguru
04-22-2006, 08:47 PM
just ordered Sat 4/22 maybe last one,

3184ever
04-25-2006, 09:42 PM
yayyy mine is here :) and of course the car is in the shop so i have to wait to put it in :(

Rhys H
04-26-2006, 06:31 AM
Even though i ordered mine two weeks ago they have sold it to whoever else ordered after me because i do not live in the states. I am pretty pissed off right now because I saw how many ppl were buying this system and made sure i ordered one before they were all gone.....Obviously that wasnt good enough. Now i dont know what to do, there is no where else to pick up a cat back for this little amount of money. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

madfronter
04-26-2006, 03:36 PM
Even though i ordered mine two weeks ago they have sold it to whoever else ordered after me because i do not live in the states. I am pretty pissed off right now because I saw how many ppl were buying this system and made sure i ordered one before they were all gone.....Obviously that wasnt good enough. Now i dont know what to do, there is no where else to pick up a cat back for this little amount of money. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

FRUSTRATION STATION! Sorry to hear about that.

a2xguru
05-01-2006, 07:32 PM
I think I got the last cheap Bosal, I was going to try and install myself but brought it to Meineke instead, good thing, the bolts needed to be cut off and the new bosal exhaust needed to be enlarged where it meet the cat converter to fit properly, I guess all those who installed themselves will not have the proper fit, must be expanded on a flange machine,
fit/sounds great,
eric

ps old stock cat back for sale, pic in gallery

DustenT
05-01-2006, 07:38 PM
Mine fit perfect without enlarging.

marleymon
05-01-2006, 07:55 PM
mine fits like a glove, no expanding needed.

Sounds like meineke had to make something up to justify charges.
I paid less than $20 for all new Bosal hangers and bolts needed. It could not have fit any better.

After cutting off the bolts with a dremmel, yes a dremmel, it took me and a bud 10 minutes to put it in, on our backs with the rear up on Rhinos.

josh

schussey
05-01-2006, 10:54 PM
i have this exhaust, and I think it sounds just like SuperSprint......

but I am pissed about the tip. Mine didn't come with a polished tip??

-chris

jkilla71
05-02-2006, 12:08 AM
Some one pleaseeeee make a video... i want to hear if its too loud...

Hello drkblu318ti -

I don't know how to upload it to this site so I just made a recording and sent it to your e-mail address. I hope I didn't fill up your in box it is 15mb. The bosal exhaust sounds much louder in the car than outside but it still sounds good. Perfect fit no problems except for shearing the bolts off and I needed a couple of new rubber hangers. :smile:

Tyler
04-10-2007, 10:53 PM
I know of a place that has Bosal Exhausts for sale for $195 or a Eberspaecher (never heard of it b4) for $293.

Check out this site www.egermanparts.com

pnosker
04-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Tyler, are you sure this is the brospeed?

branden
04-11-2007, 02:14 AM

Does Bosal make anything other than the brospeed for the ti? :confused:

Eberspaecher is the oem catback, Tyler.

Tyler
04-11-2007, 04:38 AM

Call them...