PDA

View Full Version : 318ti vs. Miata

truckstop
03-22-2006, 06:15 AM
Hi - first post.

I'm curious if there's any other former or current Miata owners on the board that can help me out with the comparison. I haven't spent much time in a 318ti besides a test drive in a '97 automatic base model that was a bit of a basketcase. The two cars aren't entirely dissimilar, the 318 is about 10" longer and 400lbs. heavier, but they're both 1.8/1.9 liters and rear wheel drive. The Mazdaspeed Miata has nice suspension, and it's turbocharged so it beats the BMW for grunt and HP because it's lighter.

I have to get rid of the Miata because I don't want the car payment, but still want something fun to drive. I love hatches (and with the Miata, I really miss having trunk space and the ability to have more than one passenger) and rear wheel drive in deep snow with good snow tires is heaps of fun. (I'm not kidding - I've gone ice racing a couple times.) I've thought about a Lexus IS300 but they're out of my budget. Gotta be around $6K to not have payments.

I've done some reading here, and have been poking around various parts shops online. I doubt I'd spend the money to do a conversion, and would maybe consider the supercharger in a year or so if that would bring the HP/weight ratio up to what the Miata is. I don't have testosterone ruling my ego, :tongue: and get my track thrills on a motorbike so I don't need it to be blinding fast or anything, but the one I test drove felt kind of like... a tank. I'm sure it had to do a lot with its condition, but it was as rickety as a '89 Mazda 626 I used to have.

I'm looking at a couple '98 sports that are over 1,000 miles away from home, and want to make sure I'm not disapointed if I decide to get one of them. I'm a little spoiled with a brand new car and all. Thoughts?

Other random questions and observations:
Do most 3-series parts fit? Like suspension upgrades if it starts riding like a waterbed?
Are there any aftermarket exhausts that don't have 2 cans if I wanted to do something more free-flow? I'd like to eek out a few more HP until I can get the SC.

Thanks - Jen

DustenT
03-22-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm in Madison. If you want to meet up, you are welcome to drive my car. It's not exactly stock, but it'll give you an idea.

J!m
03-22-2006, 02:50 PM
I ... would maybe consider the supercharger in a year or so if that would bring the HP/weight ratio up to what the Miata is.

The DA supercharger gives about 200BHP, which I believe is close on HP:wt.

...the one I test drove felt kind of like... a tank.

The automatics rob a considerable amount of power from the little 1.9. Consumer reports said to avoid the automatic in '98 when I ordered my car. Further, you most likely did not drive a sport model, which has a slightly lower and stiffer suspension. The original Boge shocks suck a$$, so these were more likely than not blown too...

I'm looking at a couple '98 sports that are over 1,000 miles away from home, and want to make sure I'm not disappointed if I decide to get one of them.

The '98 sport is bar far the best BMW ever made. (OK Maybe I'm just a bit biased here...)

I'm a little spoiled with a brand new car and all. Thoughts?

I don't think you're spoiled.:tongue:

Other random questions and observations:
Do most 3-series parts fit?

The ti is a normal E36 sedan from the A-pillar forward. All the sheet metal and mechanical parts fit fine.

Like suspension upgrades if it starts riding like a water bed?

The front is standard E36 and can easily be up-graded with a wide variety of parts. Just check the suspension section for a bit of insight...

Are there any aftermarket exhausts that don't have 2 cans if I wanted to do something more free-flow? I'd like to eek out a few more HP until I can get the SC.

There are a few (not that many) exhaust options out there. Mainly, you gain a different sound with an 'upgrade' and not much more. Less than 5 HP is about the maximum, and I believe this is with the Supersprint exhaust which carries a hefty price tag (~$800.00). There are small gains to be had from 'Fogging' the air box I think (do a search- a few hits should come up) and the price for this is low. The BMW engine is in a rather high state of tune from the factory. This is not a de-tuned rice-a-roni here. A few hundred bucks from the AEM catalog will not net you 200 RWHP...

truckstop
03-22-2006, 06:05 PM
Dusten - I didn't realize you were in Madison (duh) when I found the pic of you in the rally car. Have you been following rally for long? I used to work with one of the privateer teams in '00-'02. Yeah, I'd be really interested to see what the supercharger does. Thanks. We can work that out off-forum.

J!M - Thanks for all the info. I got stuck in the engine mod/swap areas and didn't make it into suspension yet. There's a lot of stuff here to sift through.

The car I test drove was most definitely NOT sport anything. Just felt really loose everywhere, had bad steering shake at 40mph and idled so poorly at stops I put it in neutral and kept the revs up because I was afraid it might die. All that for the sticker price of $8,995. Meh! I swear at the listing now every time it comes up in AutoTrader searches. (It was also dirty, stinky, and had trim pieces missing.)

I just need to know that that's not typical of the car.

I realized that to get any kind of real power increase it would take something more drastic, but it's good to know that there's really not much point to doing other mods. Are any of the cheaper mods something you'd want to do anyway with a DASC?

L84THSKY
03-22-2006, 06:22 PM
When I first test drove the 318ti I own, it felt very sluggish. I owned a 1988 VW Scirocco before that; so you know what I was base lining against.

Eventually I got used to the performance of the 318ti, but my Scirocco would whooop it's ass!:cool:

but the one I test drove felt kind of like... a tank.

J!m
03-22-2006, 07:01 PM
J!M - Thanks for all the info.

No problem.

I got stuck in the engine mod/swap areas and didn't make it into suspension yet. There's a lot of stuff here to sift through.

Oh, yes there is. I'm glad to hear you are taking the time to make use of the wealth of information there for the reading. Often new members just post up asking about something we might have been discussing just a day or two earlier, which can annoy the crap out of some members, and set the tone for how a new member may be treated.

The car I test drove was most definitely NOT sport anything. Just felt really loose everywhere, had bad steering shake at 40mph and idled so poorly at stops I put it in neutral and kept the revs up because I was afraid it might die. All that for the sticker price of $8,995. Meh! I swear at the listing now every time it comes up in AutoTrader searches. (It was also dirty, stinky, and had trim pieces missing.)

I'd offer about 1/3 asking price for that- I need a winter-beater...

I just need to know that that's not typical of the car.

well, any car can have excellent and abysmal examples. Just be aware of the pricing. That price, for that car is WAY out of line. the BMW Roundel equates to $$ for dealers, especially used car dealers, who probably bought that ti at auction for $1000.00 and is looking to make a quick buck...

Are any of the cheaper mods something you'd want to do anyway with a DASC?

Hmmm... I'm not the right person to ask that question now as I have ditched the four cylinder and am on a different path now. There are other supercharger options with promises of higher HP than the DASC option, but they are in their infancy; time will tell.

DustenT
03-22-2006, 07:23 PM
The DASC is the only rock solid option as of right now. Bolt it on and you will be running with the best of them, including m3s. PM me for details. :)