PDA

View Full Version : Progress report

jcarp
03-23-2006, 05:52 PM
Here is a post from our local club board on yesterday's progress on the LS1 install. I told Randy (the mastermind doing all the work) that the biggest mistake we made was not having the Discovery Channel come out and film the fabrication process.

'It's a tight fit, but it does fit, even with proper equal length stepped tube headers. Finished the motor mounts today, the drivetrain is officially located. Now the fun part of plumbing, wiring, finishing out the exhaust etc... Looks like we'll be retaining the ABS motor, just moving it to the other side of the bay and fabricating new brake lines and extending the wiring harness. Topped off the day with an icy cold PBR.'

DustenT
03-23-2006, 05:58 PM
That's hot.

FATHER
03-23-2006, 06:26 PM
what motor is it?

stormos
03-23-2006, 06:30 PM
microfilters need changing. lol. couldn't resist. that thing is HUGE!!

jcarp
03-23-2006, 06:37 PM
what motor is it?

Modified LS1

cali-ti
03-23-2006, 07:09 PM
microfilters need changing. lol. couldn't resist. that thing is HUGE!!
yeah, might as well swap those out while you have nearly the whole front of the car off :)

the LS1 is around the same weight as the bmw 6 so it shouldn't be too bad in terms of weight distro either. some other guy has done this and sells a kit for the swap even. has a full write up on his website: http://www.nash8503.com/index.html

jcarp
03-23-2006, 07:14 PM
yeah, might as well swap those out while you have nearly the whole front of the car off :)

the LS1 is around the same weight as the bmw 6 so it shouldn't be too bad in terms of weight distro either. some other guy has done this and sells a kit for the swap even. has a full write up on his website: http://www.nash8503.com/index.html

The LS1/6 speed transmission is 35 lbs lighter than the S50/5 speed we pulled out. It also sits further back and lower for even better weight distribution.

GDB
03-23-2006, 07:27 PM
What kind of rear end are you using? I'm assuming you're keeping the IRS, but are you using an E30 or MZ3 diff, or something different?

Mothman
03-23-2006, 07:32 PM
It does look sweet!

jcarp
03-23-2006, 07:33 PM
It's a modified M Roadster rear suspension, diff was built by diffsonline, 3.73's with 50% lock up.

FATHER
03-23-2006, 09:32 PM
wath is LS1 and wath kind of modification have it?

cali-ti
03-23-2006, 09:49 PM
LS1 is a v8 from the chevrolet corvette (and some other GM cars). as to what mods it has, he'll have to answer :)

jcarp
03-23-2006, 10:05 PM
Basically it's just upgraded to a LS6 (heads and intake) with a Grand Am spec cam for road racing.

bmwpwr
03-23-2006, 10:20 PM
Thats awesome! Cant wait to see it finished.

AlaskaBlue
03-24-2006, 03:40 AM
This is certainly and interesting project. It should FLY when you get it done.

FATHER
03-24-2006, 04:10 AM
ok, rayos!!!!!, Dios!!!! is a lot of power.....

jonchino
03-24-2006, 05:02 AM
NICE

did you buy the kit from nash's site? or found everything...

http://www.nash8503.com/

KarlSeeger
03-24-2006, 07:17 PM
...I got to get over there and visit!

Looks like I will be the owner of a 330Ti soon, hopefully pick it up April 1st! :biggrin: I'll need to drop by and see what I'm going to need to "Fix" to get it to the same level as my Z3! :eek:

andy
03-25-2006, 01:10 AM
Simply outstanding! I'm guessing the finished results would give Catesby Jones' old One Lap 330ti turbo a serious run for its money. What was the term you used before...'Giant Killer?' :)

AlaskaBlue
03-25-2006, 02:18 AM
jcarp-are you going to run in a specific racing series? I was casually checking into a swap like this and I noticed that a different brand engine would put the car into a super mod type of class.

andy
03-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I think it would still be legal for GTS Challenge, but probably not BMWCCA. ITE with NASA perhaps, and One Lap, OTC, SSCC, CFRA would all be fine. IIRC, he was just planning to terrorize the locals, but I can't wait to see the car in person. CFRA @ Thunderhill's next month, and MY car will be there! :)

jcarp
04-03-2006, 08:31 PM
Exhaust coming together

andyman7931
04-03-2006, 08:43 PM
Exhaust coming together

is that a TJ in the background of the second pic??? :)

jcarp
04-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Not mine, but yes.

jcarp
04-07-2006, 05:23 PM
More pictures.

Full exhaust

Oil line fittings on modded pan to get them away from the headers. They feed to an oil cooler, accusump, and larger remote filter.

Harness going in.

Headers and exhaust will be coming off to get coated - things are getting closer.

318tibimmer
04-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Nice, it looks like it is comming together. I was thinking about doing this to my ti, for prolly about 2 years now. I have decided to wait and put it into another 3 series or a ti if I can find one cheap. My plans are a bit different. I am going to put a shorty 9" and Tub the car. LS1 w/t56 6spd. Full roll cage, mainly for extra strenght for the frame (I have seen these motors bend the hell out of a Unibody). I have 2 firends one with a 99 Camaro SS, and the other has a 02 TA WS6. One of them bought LS1-Edit. Allows you to modify everything in the ECU (fuel trims, O2's, Speed limiter, etc.) That way I can eliminate the rear O2's. I also want to get a Wideband O2's to do further tuning with the new engine.

This is all in theory right now, Let us know how much this ends up costing. Itemize a list if you can. Good work.

halobeamin
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
this has me amazed :)

not that i know completely what everything is, but the layout is very well organized :)

jcarp
04-08-2006, 07:54 PM
Nice, it looks like it is comming together. I was thinking about doing this to my ti, for prolly about 2 years now. I have decided to wait and put it into another 3 series or a ti if I can find one cheap. My plans are a bit different. I am going to put a shorty 9" and Tub the car. LS1 w/t56 6spd. Full roll cage, mainly for extra strenght for the frame (I have seen these motors bend the hell out of a Unibody). I have 2 firends one with a 99 Camaro SS, and the other has a 02 TA WS6. One of them bought LS1-Edit. Allows you to modify everything in the ECU (fuel trims, O2's, Speed limiter, etc.) That way I can eliminate the rear O2's. I also want to get a Wideband O2's to do further tuning with the new engine.

This is all in theory right now, Let us know how much this ends up costing. Itemize a list if you can. Good work.

The car has a full cage in it with lots of frame reinforcement. The diff has been built but we'll see ultimately how it holds up (I will be adding a diff cooler). The ECM tune on a dyno using LS1 edit will be the very last step.

The original goal was to have it ready to take to Thill in two weeks so I could let Andy have a go in it, but looks like we are still about a month away from having it track ready.

halobeamin
04-08-2006, 08:18 PM
The car has a full cage in it with lots of frame reinforcement. The diff has been built but we'll see ultimately how it holds up (I will be adding a diff cooler). The ECM tune on a dyno using LS1 edit will be the very last step.

The original goal was to have it ready to take to Thill in two weeks so I could let Andy have a go in it, but looks like we are still about a month away from having it track ready.

don't rush :)

we all know what happens when we forget a step!! but keep up the good work!

Silver00spike
04-10-2006, 09:39 AM
What kind of rear end are you using? I'm assuming you're keeping the IRS, but are you using an E30 or MZ3 diff, or something different?
What IRS?

jcarp
04-10-2006, 04:56 PM
don't rush :)

we all know what happens when we forget a step!! but keep up the good work!

E30/MZ3 diff, 3 clutch pack design with 50% lock up. I feel confident it can handle the power as the engine is basically a LS6, not a monster hp motor. But heat is always an issue, so that's why the diff cooler.

If needed I can always setup to the larger Euro diff.

andy
04-10-2006, 06:25 PM
What IRS?

Independant Rear Suspension. Something BMW people have taken for granted for the past 45 years, but not a given with american sedans. I won't eeven start into the benefits of each. :)

We finally got some clear weather on Saturday, and I took the ti for a 150 mile drive just to run some time on the engine before Thunderhill - I was hoping to see you there, but believe me I understand about setbacks with a project this complex.

Anyhow, the project looks great so far. I'm already enjoying the benefits of much more torque; that thing is going to be a monster!

jcarp
04-10-2006, 06:30 PM
I'll be at Thill, just not with my car. I'm going to give my spot to a friend and tow their car down, bum some rides and catch up with all you CA folks.

Silver00spike
04-13-2006, 06:12 AM
Independant Rear Suspension. Something BMW people have taken for granted for the past 45 years, but not a given with american sedans. I won't eeven start into the benefits of each. :)

We finally got some clear weather on Saturday, and I took the ti for a 150 mile drive just to run some time on the engine before Thunderhill - I was hoping to see you there, but believe me I understand about setbacks with a project this complex.

Anyhow, the project looks great so far. I'm already enjoying the benefits of much more torque; that thing is going to be a monster!
I'm saying our cars don't have IRS. Was I misinformed?

Variance
04-13-2006, 06:27 AM
Yes, you were misinformed. Our cars have IRS.

Silver00spike
04-13-2006, 10:17 PM
whaaaaa? really? I feel so dumb now. I always thought the e30 semi-trailing arm, or whatever its called, meant its not IRS

318tibimmer
04-14-2006, 07:45 AM
The arms don't have to move together, they move completely indipendent from eachother. Wheras with a solid axle, the whole rearend moves together with the axle and everything. Also on a IRS, the rearend is fixed (it doesn't move at all)

andy
04-15-2006, 05:20 PM
Take a look at a red ryder wagon, a mustang or an '89 integra - there's a single axle that connects both rear wheels together - that's un-IRS. e30/ti Semi-trailing arms get poo-pooed because the e36 zlink and other rear suspensions that newer BMWs have are more advanced, but they really can be made to work quite well. Ask me how many e36 M3's I've passed on the track... :)

The arms don't have to move together, they move completely indipendent from eachother. Wheras with a solid axle, the whole rearend moves together with the axle and everything. Also on a IRS, the rearend is fixed (it doesn't move at all)

jcarp
04-20-2006, 11:30 PM
It's getting closer...

stormos
04-21-2006, 08:35 AM
not sure about all thos rivets ?

jcarp
04-21-2006, 04:35 PM
They are quite functional - this is a dedicated track car.

andy
04-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Hey John,

Missed you at Thunderhill, although several of your fellow CFRA North crowd stopped by to say hi. My engine swap has removed about 5 seconds a lap off the top of my best Thill time, this new beast is going to be great!

Did you go with a stiffer suspension this time? What tires do you plan to run?

jcarp
04-27-2006, 04:13 AM
I can't wait to see your car in action. You should try coming up in July with JC.

I left the suspension the same for now as my weight distribution will be even better so I hope that solves my need for a stiffer front spring. Tires are the big question because to go any bigger than the 245 Hoosiers I have I'll need custom wheels, cut the fenders and install flares. It's in the plan but not the budget right now.

Looks like we are about a week or so away from the 'launch' date.

dead4ever
04-27-2006, 04:28 AM
awesome awesome awesome. like the 357ti badge.

andy
04-29-2006, 12:48 AM
awesome awesome awesome. like the 357ti badge.

The fact that it shares those numbers with a large handgun is somehow appropriate. :o

Actually, my team is planning to do the USTCC race 8/19-8/20 at PR supporting the NASCAR event that weekend - I'll have to ask for some coaching on that track since I haven't driven it before. :) There's another race at PIR in June supporting Champ Car, but if we do the SJGP in July that'll already be a pretty full schedule unless I can convince my sponsors to help out more. Should be a busy summer!

andy
04-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Oh - one other thing - how did you decide on the rear spoiler? I have a friend with a spare wing I was thinking about picking up to lead to some more high-speed stability, but I'm short a wind tunnel to test it out... :)

SDKmann
04-29-2006, 01:03 AM
That will make on hell of a sleeper! I personally think that a chevy engine has no place in a BMW but I have to admit that I would want to do it to show every punk with a mustang what racing really is (that would be after I won the lotto and had about 15 tis in my garage). You may want to redo the wing though, it looks like a grade school shop class project.

3184ever
04-29-2006, 03:20 AM
more pictures :)

jcarp
04-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Ask and you shall receive.

jcarp
04-29-2006, 07:32 PM
And a couple of more.

jcarp
04-29-2006, 07:36 PM
The rear spoiler was designed by the guru building the car. It's the same type as useed by late model stock cars and generates considerable down force - i.e. it's very effective on the track.

Andy we have PR rented for a private event July 6th, fly up and you can drive the car and get that 'coaching'.

jcarp
04-29-2006, 09:48 PM
One more.

AlaskaBlue
04-29-2006, 10:13 PM
jcarp the car is looking good. It should be a monster! What material did you use to make the rear spoiler? I am pretty sure I found some of that stuff in the dumpster behind my dorm and may make a smaller rear spoiler.

cali-ti
04-29-2006, 10:52 PM
One more.
mmm ... 911 off to the left :)

KetteringTi
04-29-2006, 11:03 PM
With RUF wheels! :eek:

pdxmotorhead
04-29-2006, 11:45 PM
Is that a spintech muffler?

Dave

jcarp
04-30-2006, 12:55 AM
Yes, that is a Spintech.

Guys, it's not my 911, not my garage. The car is at the house of its creator.
He's done all the design and all the work. I just post the pictures in a state of awe knowing that one day soon I'll be experiencing the exhilaration of driving it on the track.

KetteringTi
04-30-2006, 01:59 AM
Those brakes are gonna have a hard time keeping all that motor in check! :wink:

jcarp
04-30-2006, 03:36 AM
It has Stoptechs up front with Raybestos ST41 race pads, it'll throw you through the windshield!

jcarp
04-30-2006, 04:41 AM
If you are sick of this by now, let me know.

Here's today's progress. Finished the main power leads, oil circuit and hung the front suspension. The flapper valve is a low cracking pressure, high flow viton seal one way valve that's used to prevent oil backflow when utilizing accusump reservoirs. The small brass fitting next to the battery distribution point is a clutch slave cylinder remote bleeder point. Beats trying to bleed the clutch in the tunnel where there's no room.

andy
04-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Externally cooled diff! Outstanding. John, I just may take you up on that - I owe my mother a visit in Fall City, and I don't think that's too far away. I'll look at arrangements and be in touch. Thanks!!

m3outtanowhere
05-01-2006, 07:58 AM
im speechless. im trying to get help with my s50 swap obd1-obd1...where the hell do you ask for help with something like this? And i thinking im gonna have a hard time!:eek:

1996 328ti
05-01-2006, 02:11 PM
im speechless. im trying to get help with my s50 swap obd1-obd1...where the hell do you ask for help with something like this? And i thinking im gonna have a hard time!:eek:I'm not sure how many people have done the conversions themselves.
J!m had a manual at one point. Mine was done by the previous owner.

jcarp
05-01-2006, 05:25 PM
The S50 transplant wasn't as 'plug and play' as one might think, but we beefed up the car as much as possible for track duty. However the hours, the thought, design and fabrication that have gone into the LS1 are far beyond anything I can show with a few pictures.

When it is done (hopefully by week's end) we'll put together a site with a few hundred pictures and details.

This a project that I do not have the personal ability or financial resources to attempt myself or hire to have done. And my friend never envisioned that it would be this involved, but as he went along he decided there was an easy way that would probably be OK and then there was the right way. You can see which way he went.

cali-ti
05-01-2006, 05:59 PM
and that he has the money to do it (see 911 in the garage ;) ) :D

jcarp
05-02-2006, 06:15 PM
A few more pics. Hope to fire it up this weekend if the last couple of fittings arrive.

cali-ti
05-02-2006, 06:30 PM
looks like the beginnings of an adjustable front splitter there in the bumper trim, yes? i may have missed it earlier, but what are the two smaller coolers for in front of the radiator? looks like a lot of nice fab work!

jcarp
05-02-2006, 06:38 PM
Not adjustable, those are just the supports - the splitter is part of the undertray, yet the downforce actually pulls it away from the bumper (we have photos) without the supports. Like the rear spoiler it is very effective on the track.

The coolers are for the oil and diff.

cali-ti
05-02-2006, 06:43 PM
how much fluid do you have to use in the diff with lines going all the way to the front of the car for the cooler?

jcarp
05-02-2006, 06:57 PM
I'll let you know after we fill it :)

pdxmotorhead
05-02-2006, 09:09 PM
Next stop, Add the Calloway turbo kit.....:yikes:

Youll see god on the front straight...../*

Dave

jcarp
05-08-2006, 04:47 PM
And here is the finished engine bay. Just the final wiring of the dash left before we fire it up. Even though I'm used to seeing this high level of work on every 'home' project my friend undertakes, this even blows me away!

cali-ti
05-08-2006, 05:24 PM
looks damn sweet. reminds me of gerry's anal-retentive DASC install :) excellent work guys!

jcarp
05-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Now if I can just get Angel318ti to sell me his wheels before he sells his car (I've got some SSR GT1's 17x8 and 17x9's I'll give him) I'll be set!

TiTime
05-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I'm impressed to say the least.

:eek:

andy
05-16-2006, 08:46 PM
Yes - I think I'm going to make it, I've just a few plans to work out, but I have tickets and I am planning to come up and be there on 7/6.

I'd love to see the front splitter too - When I meet Randy I may ask him to assemble another splitter / spoiler package - that's the one area I seem to need some help right now. US Touring car limitations are 4" forward of the front bumper and 6" behind it, no wider than the car in any case. Looks (and sounds) great!

Seeing all this reminds me I need to get some pics up as well...