PDA

View Full Version : UUC Clutch info... Read before you install !!!

cossieturbo
03-29-2006, 04:43 AM
Hello all...
Well here is the 1st of my new Clutch posting. I did the research. Lots of research! This is what I found out.

1- If your note sure how a Clutch system is set up, here is a quick overview. The Flywheel bolts to the Engine crank then the Disc (similar to a Brake Pad, but in the shape of a disc and has friction material on both sides) is thrown in loose while the Pressure plate holds the disc in the middle by bolting to the Flywheel.

2- The Dual-Mass Flywheel is a pain in the arse. It does not launch as smoothly as a solid “street”. It costs $700+. The Dual-Mass does control the 4 cylinder pulsation effect a little bit better (quieter), but it's not really noticeable by most people. The dual mass also weighs in at a mammoth 27lbs +. Trust me, this is heavy for this equipment on a streetcar.

3- There are a few sources for the basic old fashion design (Solid Flywheel, Sprung Disc with Marcel Spring, Pressure plate) for the 318ti and I found that UUC had the most sorted and best reputation.

4- When it comes down to price, there are cheaper sources and they all say their system works, but I have heard this song and dance before and I paid for it when I believed them. Remember that if you ask a company if “their junk is better” and “does it work on my ride”, what do you think they are going to say? I got burned with my Nissan on 2 different kits several years ago. Lesson learned.

5- Getting the Lightest Solid Flywheel with a Light Solid Disc is Not a good street setup. This is a race setup and can get old right away when you are in traffic, etc…
Stick with a lightened Aluminum or Chromoly street Flywheel, a Street (or similar) Sprung Disc with a Marcel Spring and a slightly higher Pressure Plate. Trust me… a “Double-Diaphragm monster leg builder” Pressure Plate is not the answer for Street and or Street to Track daily driver.

6- Simple Rule… BALANCE THE FLYWHEEL AND PRESSURE PLATE !!! I lived by this rule in the past, but not this last time and I paid for it (more on that later). It’s another $30-$50 to have it done right. Also make sure a shop with a good Rep does it. Oh… you can not properly balance a Dual-Mass Flywheel. It requires a special machine that most places do not have. If the Pressure Plate is off by several Grams it will not manifest as the Dual-mass’s weight absorbs the imbalance.

So here is my 1st installment. More to follow. Hope this was not too boring.

cossieturbo

cossieturbo
03-29-2006, 04:54 AM
I ordered my UUC Stage 2 with 91-93 M5 Clutch kit (buit by Sachs). It was only delayed for a short time due to the Flywheel being out of stock. I have heard that UUC usually has everything ready to ship. No problem. The price was around $1,000.00 which comes in at about the 318ti Factory setup. I ordered the black Trany mounts from them as well with the Enforcers. Everything was well packed and UUC was on the phone ready to help when I had questions. The Throwout Bearing they sent does not have the BMW logo on it, but I compared it to factory one and the production numbers, plus the design matched 100%. It is made by the same company so nothing to worry about.

More to come

cossieturbo

cossieturbo
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Hello mates… back again for another chapter. So with Stage 2 in hand and after convincing my friend at Bello Motorsport to take on the install (I no longer have lift access). The Trany and bits came out and new parts went in including a Rear Main Seal, Tany Input Shaft Seal, Shifter Rod Seal, etc…

I picked up the car and Ernie says “enjoy the new Clutch, and by the way… the oil leak stops after things warm up”. That’s his usual humor… At least that’s what I though. I get home and it really was leaking form the new Rear Main. I called Ernie and told him. He was shocked as it was only a joke… but some jokes come true. Word to the wise.

The Trany came out again and the Rear Main was found with the inner Seal not seated right. All fixed, but… !!!… then there was a nasty unnatural vibration coming from the Engine. I replaced a ton of bits only to find it still present. We all feared that the new Clutch needed to be balanced and guess what… we were right. Trany comes out again for the 3rd time.

Flywheel and Clutch go off to Mosler to get balanced. The Flywheel was off by only 1 Gram, but the Pressure plate was off by 9 Grams. OUCH! Yes, 10 Grams can make a big difference. Got it back and installed it.

YES!!! That’s how I dreamed it should be like. This is how a Clutch of this sort should feel. Outstanding!

UUC Stage 2

Pro:
Fits the M42/M44 Engine/Trany (with M3 Throwout Bearing)
10 pounds lighter then factory = Fun Fun Fun.
Faster revving engine thus quicker downshifts.
Will hold more power then 318ti M42/M44 will ever see.
Smooth engagement with no off the line bogging like the old Dual-Mass.
About same price as factory setup.
Outstanding phone service from UUC.

Con:
Took a little longer to get here due to no stock, but that was sorted quickly!
Should have note encouraging buyers to have the kit balanced.
Flywheel looks too good to hide.
Very light gear rattle from Trany (should go away soon).
Some rattling from Throwout Bearing fork when engaging/disengaging, not sure why. Checked it and all is well.

Overall this is one of my favorite Mods I have done and I am so happy with it now that I try to drive my “ti” all the time even when we need to use the Scooby Outback Turbo to get things. All the best.

P.S. UUC and I are talking about the issue I had and they may be able to work something out… more to come.

cossieturbo

pdxmotorhead
04-06-2006, 04:09 AM
just so ya know....

ANY good engine builder should be able to balance a clutch and flywheel for you. Should cost less than 150 bucks.

Dave

cossieturbo
04-13-2006, 12:10 AM
So another follow-up. Driving around has been fun and easy. It's a very easy clutch to use day in, day out. Better then Factory!

Correction:
as for the "rattling from Throwout Bearing fork when engaging/disengaging"... It occurred to me that it did that with the old Factory setup as well.

Correction:
I have been told that many good Balance Machines can do a Dual-Mass Flywheel, but I know you should NEVER resurface one.

To simplify matters here's my conclusion:
If you can live with some additional noise and minor Vibration in exchange for a stronger, freer revving Clutch then do this mod. If you like your quiet Factory setup and have no plans to do a Supercharger or Turbo then stick with the Factory junk or look into the older E30 318is Clutch with the Solid Flywheel. Not sure if it fits though...???

P.S. I spoke with UUC last week and they said they would call me this week to discuss "working something out" for my time and money wasted. Who knows if anything will come of this, but I will keep you all posted.

BALANCE THAT CLUTCH KIT !!!!!!!!

cossieturbo

pdxmotorhead
04-13-2006, 04:59 AM
Dual mass flywheels have been problematic in nearly every marque I've been familiar with. Porsche, BMW, Mercedes.
they tend to wear early, enguage rough and chatter. They also seem to retain heat. Funny it seems to be a german thing....

Dave

cossieturbo
04-15-2006, 07:15 AM
yah, I guess BMW got a good contract on this design from the Supplier. That will do it every time. Best to you.

cossieturbo