PDA

View Full Version : A/C refill

vix_98_318ti
03-29-2006, 07:56 PM
Hello fellow Ti's,
I have a few questions about refilling my A/C on my 1998 ti. I bought this A/C kit from an auto parts that came with a R-134a and measuring gauge. As per the instructions, I connected the gauge to what I am assuming to be the "Low end connector" (located near the battery, up against the wall?-correct me if I am wrong) and I was getting a pressure reading (with AC On at least 2-3min Max) of about 25psi. According the instructions, anything between 25-40psi is normal OR full. Since I was at the low end of the reading, I decided to add my refrigerant (12oz) can. So after twisting on the can to the gauge and reconnecting it to the "low end connector" I started to release the fluid. I must have been at it for about 15-20 minutes but my pressure reading did move at all, but what was strange was that the can was getting cold, as if it was releasing the refrigerant. Any ideas why my pressure didn't change at all? Also, when I removed the connector I triggered the can to see if it was actually coming out of the can, but I only noticed air coming out, is that normal or what am I suppose to look for when you let the refrigerant escape while not connected? Should it be COLD Air? Liquid? Gas? Any ideas? Maybe the R-134a is no good? If anybody knows exactly where the Low end connector is and if I was doing the correct proceedure, I would appreciate it.

Thanks much

aceyx
03-29-2006, 09:44 PM
If you go to "edit" button in your second post, you can delete the double-posting.

As for adding refrigerant, it is a compressed gas in the can, which will turn back into a liquid in a lower pressure system. Endothermic reaction comes to mind (or is it exo?). In any event, the gas-liquid conversion and vice versa is how an a/c system works.

As for where you're adding it, I think you may have put it in a vaccuum line somewhere. The compressor is located in front of the towers, on the left side. Or right.

Sorry for the vague information, but my mind is elsewhere today.

vix_98_318ti
03-30-2006, 03:21 AM
I understand the compressor is in the front. There is also a canistor looking container located just in front of the window washer dispenser and right behind the passenger head light. The hose fitting I have does not fit this connector. Also, isn't there something like a "low" and "high" end/connectors?
Can anybody shine some light?

thanks

magman
04-21-2007, 09:24 PM
Hi, did you get the right connection and pressure for your A/C fill? I am about to do the same thing and on the bottle is says 25psi is that right? Did you charge it on the front connection behind the lights or the one close to the battery? Thank you

pdxmotorhead
04-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Yes if his description is right he did the right one.

If your pressure is in spec, just add a tune-up charge don't add a big can of R134, they sell little 4 to 6 oz cans with a bit of freon and a lube charge for the compressor. Too much freon is as bad as too little.

Dave