PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 318Ti

318touring
04-02-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi all, we're just back from looking at a '96 318Ti with 112000kms on the clock. It's blue (light), with alloys and everything else intact. There are a couple of things that I need some pointers on how to fix and how expensive.

I have E39 528 and used to have E36 318 touring.

Washer fluid doesn't work, pump problem or blocked lines, how difficult to replace the pump?
Passenger window sounds like scraping through something when it's 3/4 way up, is this common?
The driver door panel is loose, easy to slam back?
Coolant change is it easy?
If the ABS relay valve is replaced, will the dealer also do brake fluid change?

Otherwise is looks like a solid car, and I'm getting a mobile vehicle inspection to come around to give the car a once obver including compression test, and if it passes I'll hand over the dough. It's only NZD6000 (USD3600).

Thanks for your help!

J!m
04-03-2006, 10:36 PM
Washer fluid doesn't work, pump problem or blocked lines, how difficult to replace the pump?

Fairly easy. It obviously depends on your skill level. Easier than replacing a starter motor, if that helps...

Passenger window sounds like scraping through something when it's 3/4 way up, is this common?

Probably the regulator, or other common wear/failure parts. It is common to have window problems on these, and there are several threads on the subject. Do some searching/reading and you will know more than you ever wanted to about them.

The driver door panel is loose, easy to slam back?

Maybe. It may need new clips too. These are cheap at the dealer. The loose panel could indicate the regulator has already been 'repaired' on this side. The question is, how well was it repaired?

Coolant change is it easy?

Yes, but burping the system is not so easy. Again, search for info on the subject- there is a lot. Please use BMW coolant and distilled water.

If the ABS relay valve is replaced, will the dealer also do brake fluid change?

I think they will have to, but just ask them to be sure. A full fluid change is an excellent idea, and worth the extra few bucks, if they charge you.

It's only NZD6000 (USD3600).

Sounds reasonable...

Best of luck. I think you will be OK with this car (pending the mechanic's findings).

318touring
04-04-2006, 11:44 AM
Got it yesterday.

Have just finished waxing it, but will need several more washdown to wash all the grime.

I'll have to find out on how to empty the washer reservoir, must do a search ...

http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/35/19366035_full.jpg