PDA

View Full Version : Speed sensor wire?

Juni
04-07-2006, 01:39 AM
In order for me to properly use the Navi feature in my Pioneer avic-n2, I need to hook up a wire to my cars speed sensor wire. Does anybody know where this wire is? what color is it? any info would help.

cali-ti
04-07-2006, 01:45 AM
it routes out of the diff, i think into under the rear seat, but i'm not sure.

J!m
04-07-2006, 01:46 AM
The sensor is in the diff. Check the wire color code, and you may get lucky finding it closer to the front of the car.

I believe it goes to the multi-connector next to the fuse box and into the ECU. From there, a (quite possibly very different) signal is sent to the cluster to display speed.

1996 328ti
04-07-2006, 01:56 AM
Does this help?
http://www.318ti.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=2094&cat=531

Black/White from the instrument cluster to the radio

Juni
04-07-2006, 02:13 AM
Thats exactly what I'm looking for! How do you know it black and white?

1996 328ti
04-07-2006, 02:23 AM
Thats exactly what I'm looking for! How do you know it black and white?
SW is black
WS is white

Edit: This is only for those with speed sensing volume control.

John Firestone
04-07-2006, 09:10 AM
Thats exactly what I'm looking for! How do you know it black and white?Probably because it is in the book (the ETM). That is a healthy question to ask, however, because the ETM does have a few mistakes.

Also, when Steve writes black/white that means you should look for a black wire with a white stripe. You may also find white/black wires in the car that are white with a black stripe – which you don't want.

A wire can even have three colors. For example, a black/white/yellow wire would be a black wire with a white stripe and yellow blotches.

Happy splicing!

BTW, does the 'ti have comb terminal blocks for easier and cleaner splicing like its bigger brothers? The Z3, which appeared about the same time, doesn't!