318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Rough idle - yes I searched (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30815)

Ruddman 08-09-2010 09:53 PM

I tried all of these on my M42 and am still getting a rough idle and low power on acceleration. I did notice that if i open the oil filler cap the idle steps up and gets real smoothe. I tried cleaning the PCV valve, should i just replace it?

craig_xyz 08-10-2010 03:34 AM

I have a similar issue on my 95 318. i took out the icv and cleaned it, put it all back in and its worse than it was before. a terribly rough idle

Bobtail_Bimmer 08-10-2010 11:06 AM

Ruddman - Not 100% sure of what to tell you on that one but its worth a shot.

Craig - Check and make sure you didnt split one of your hoses or cause one to crack. Did you let the ICV dry before you put it back? The hose that runs from the back of your upper intake manifold to the ICV could be the culprit.

Ruddman 08-15-2010 03:01 AM

Still Running rough, error code 1222. the first thing i did was change the plugs, just checked them and they look like they are coated in soot. looks like a new air filter and cleaning the O2 sensor is next? any thoughts?

Bobtail_Bimmer 08-15-2010 06:26 PM

Code 1222 is an Oxygen sensor code. Means its running to rich/lean. Just to be on the safe side though i would def go through and check all your vacume lines for any leaks. Also go through and check the rubber boot that runs from your MAF to your throttle body. Look in between the ridges for cracks and such. Other factors can cause that code such as bad O2 sensor, fuel pressure, injectors, AFM, in the end just about anything that that could mess with the aif fuel mix. Start small and work your way up. Lots of times the smallest thing over looked can give you the biggest headache.

craig_xyz 08-17-2010 12:46 AM

I am going to clean it again tomorrow and this time with more time to spare to let every thing dry out but I found that the plugs the guy put in before me were platinum! What an idiot! Quickly replaced them with model specific plugs and idle is semi cured.. Only problem now is as the sun sets in the evening and I start my car at night.. The rough idles back any ideas why that may be? I don't think it likes the cold and am afraid of the coming winter how it will be running any suggestions greatly appreciated

Ruddman 08-28-2010 05:08 AM

At a loss?

:confused:New air intake, new Pcv valve, cleaned ICV, checked all vacuum hoses and rubber boots, changed plugs, cleaned O2 sensor, cleaned AFS. Still running rich, poor gas milage 60%, poor accelleration. it feels like it is runnung on 3 or less cylinders, rough idle and no power. Number 4 plug looks a little oily, its the only one though. Still error code 1222.
Whats next?

craig_xyz 08-28-2010 05:36 AM

Could it be my exhaust system? There's a rattleing coming from my upper exhaust manifold the catalytic converter could this affect my idle?

craig_xyz 08-28-2010 05:49 AM

Also getting code 1263 the purge valve and am wondering how this affects everything or is it giving me a faulty code?

roadrash 08-28-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruddman (Post 279484)
Still running rich, poor gas milage 60%, poor accelleration,

I seriously doubt that this has anything to do with your problem, but it's easy to check, so.... Is your engine warming up to the correct temperature? The temperature needle should move to the "12 o'clock" position and not move from there until you turn the engine off.

If the thermostat is bad or going bad, it can cause the engine to run cool, which will cause it to run rich. That was the first issue I had with my car after I bought it, but I don't recall it running rough.

Ruddman 08-29-2010 12:52 AM

Temp guage stays at "12 o'clock" runs rough cold or hot.

Bobtail_Bimmer 08-29-2010 01:07 AM

Dont k now what to tell ya gents. Try running some seafoam in your gas and see if that helps. Might have some crap in your injectors.

Ruddman 08-30-2010 06:53 PM

is it a bad idea to remove, clean and re-install the injectors? would a closed ICV cause the engine to stall at idle and seem as if the engine were running on 3 or less cylinders? (very low power)What is the problem associated with Platinum plugs?

familytruckster 08-30-2010 08:50 PM

I'd actually replace the O2 sensor and the PCV valve. Also check the vacuum lines to the injectors.

It could also be the MAF, I dealt with a huge headache with mine and it ended up being the MAF. What you really need is a ODB-2 scantool so you can actually look at the sensor inputs to the DME.

Quote:

This code is stored when the DME detects excessive
deviations in the air-fuel mixture (too rich or too lean) for longer
than 10 seconds. Possible causes: Fuel tank ran empty,
Incorrect Fuel Pressure, Injector valve defective or coked,
Engine Temperature Sensor defective, Secondary air leak,
Fuel evaporation control system defective, Air Flow Meter
defective and/or the combustion is being disturbed by
mechanical failure (Spark plugs,, compression,
intake/exhaust valves, ...etc.)

Ruddman 08-31-2010 03:42 AM

are there any vacuum lines that i may be missing? I have checked all lines that can be seen with the upper IM removed. the idle picks up when i open the valve cover cap. could there be some gunk plugging something inside?