318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   General Chit Chat (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Who's been in an Earthquake? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13046)

Tyler 11-03-2006 03:00 AM

Who's been in an Earthquake?

Just wondering if anyone has been in an earthquake before. I know people on the west coast would most likely be in more than the east coast but just wondering who's been in one.

I was in my 1st one about 2-3 weeks ago when i was in Hawaii and hopefully that will be the only one for a long time.
If you have list where you were and maybee when if you recall.

Panzer_M 11-03-2006 03:07 AM

We had one that was in the center of the gulf a few weeks ago..it was like 9-10am..and I was on the couch watching the news...thought I had a seizure more than a earthquake being in florida....never been in a quake before. It was more weird than scary.

1996 328ti 11-03-2006 03:08 AM

I felt a slight tremor when I lived in NY but wouldn't consider it an earthquake.

angel318ti 11-03-2006 03:13 AM

I even remember it even though I was just 6 years old when I lived in Puerto Rico. Not much more than a 2 in the richter scale. But still a sight to remember. does anyone remember tha earthquake during the world series between the Giants and the A's. I was watching that game when it happened.

Tyler 11-03-2006 03:21 AM

The one that hit Hawaii when i was there was a 6.6,i think it's the biggest there since 73. Go figure it happens when i'm on vaca out there.

Budget M3 11-03-2006 07:06 AM

June 28, 1992, ~5:00am on a Sunday, Landers Quake about 40 miles from my home at the time in SoCal ~7.3 @ ...felt like NFL linebackers on each corner of the 4 post bed picking it up and dropping it about a foot off the floor. As if that wasnt't bad enough, it was followed 2-3 hours later by Big Bear Quake ~6.4 and only 1 mile from my home. Both were my first quakes...VERY unnerving when furniture is flying around, things are falling off the walls, freeways are collapsing, etc...at least you can see other natural disasters coming....

http://seismo-watch.com/EQSERVICES/N...8.Landers.html

Aftershocks from both of these major quakes persisted for months...some as high as 5+ on the Richter scale which is considered a major event anywhere except in Cali. By comparison, I've since "endured" a 3.1 quake in Maine a few years later which was merely interesting after having the living $#!^ scared out of me and my family in 1992...

SDKmann 12-02-2006 12:36 AM

Yep, first one in Iowa in like 100 years. Just big enough to freak out the dogs and wake me up.

Mad-Machine 12-02-2006 12:39 AM

I was visiting my Grandparents up in Reading Pa when the big quake hit the "Reading prong" fault line.. cracked their front porch right off of the house. There was not much to feel at first.. just this aweful noise that sounded more like a locomotive coming down the street and then real quick shake

Tyler 12-02-2006 02:56 AM

My brother told me last week in Hawaii had an aftershock from the earthquake when i was there. He said it was a 5.2 and lasted about 10seconds.

FastMarc 12-02-2006 07:17 PM

Where lucky there are now earthquakes here in Holland:smile:
It’s a scary thought that the earth is moving under jour feet:eek:

bmwracerchick 12-02-2006 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panzer_M (Post 93960)
We had one that was in the center of the gulf a few weeks ago..it was like 9-10am..and I was on the couch watching the news...thought I had a seizure more than a earthquake being in florida....never been in a quake before. It was more weird than scary.

wow when was this? I didnt feel anything here and I live off the coast of the gulf of mexico, thats scary. We have a fault here in florida but all the sand that creates florida actually cushions us. wooo!

pnosker 12-02-2006 08:27 PM

We had a 4.5 earthquake a couple of years ago. The epicenter was 5 mi away from my house, but all that happened was a book I had standing up with pages open fell over.

slow_in 04-03-2007 05:34 PM

Yeah... I was on the 11th floor of a hotel in Japan when one hit.... I woke up and it felt like the room was rocking back and forth (not an unusual experience, given my drinking patterns while on business in Japan)... then I realized that my big plastic bicycle travel case was banging against the wall and stuff was falling off of the desk in the corner.... Now I drink a lot, but I've never been drunk enough to actually move physical matter with my inebriated mind!
Being an engineer, I did a quick cost/benefit analysis and decided I'd rather die in bed than in the hallway of some GD hotel in Japan, so I rolled over and went back to sleep.... ahh Asahi Super Dry, how I miss thee.

bullmand 04-03-2007 06:45 PM

I mostly slept through a small one in Germany once. The epicenter was in Belgium somewhere but we had a little quiver where I was. It was enough to wake me up, but I wasn't sure what was going on. I made sure not to mention it the next day at work until I heard other people talking about it. I'm not sure I would want to be fully awake and get the whole experience. It was kinda weird.

jaysbmw 04-18-2007 08:27 AM

sf califorina all my life lots of them here lol

Zacki 05-28-2007 02:18 AM

Portland's had a few in the last 10 years that have been nothing more then, oh look my desk is vibrating.

GroggyinMO 10-19-2007 01:59 AM

I remember a 5.5 in 1968 in St Louis MO
The one before that was 9.5 in 1812 but I'm not quite old enough to remember that one
We are overdue for it to go off .
I haven't bought earthquake insurance 'cause I don't think my insurance company will be around to pay off when it goes again

Sparticus 10-19-2007 07:54 AM

I was in the 1989 San Francisco quake... It was rather large... And 2 smaller ones here in Washington... a 6.2 in the late 90's, and a 7.9 or 8.0 in 2002 I think. That one was big, however it was also very deep.

the governor 10-21-2007 01:09 AM

I experienced my first one this last week at 1:53am. I was sitting right here on the computer and I could hear this low rumble and then the glasses hanging on the bar started to move. It was a weird feeling.

thesk8nmidget 11-27-2007 04:48 PM

lets see i have been in a few minor ones and also a big one in california when i was to young to remember

Marv17 11-27-2007 06:48 PM

dude... i've been in like 6 to 8. 1992 there was one, but too young to remember how big. the 1994 quake in SoCal, broke some freeways, bridges, roads, buildings. my water in the spa that was inside the house came out. :-( not a fun clean up. it was like a 8.0 something i think. then the whole moring was filled with aftershocks. then every once in a while theres some small ones now. somtime in 2002 i think there was another one 5.1 i think. there are always lil ones here. we just get used to it. now we're due for another big one sometime soon. who knows when.

S.F.bayti 06-03-2008 01:28 AM

I grew up in LA & have been in San Francisco for almost 10 years. They still freak me out because if you feel a small one you don't know what might come next.

tiFreak 06-03-2008 01:32 AM

I voted no on this a long time ago, I guess I forgot the earthquake when I was 6 or so

SDKmann 06-03-2008 01:35 AM

Im up to two now here in Iowa, weird huh?

Marv17 06-03-2008 06:14 AM

in Iowa??? WTF? hmm... maybe there's some hidden volcano somewhere?? i've heard on some tv show that there's this massive monster volcano out in the northern part of the states. ... hmm... tic-tock tic-tock...

Instigater 06-03-2008 08:01 AM

I have never felt an earthquake, nevar have seen a tornado, nevar had massive wood burning, never had flood - I'm living in too boring land.

Marv17 06-03-2008 09:07 AM

which would be where?? you in some kind of bubble?

SDKmann 06-03-2008 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instigater (Post 176866)
I have never felt an earthquake, nevar have seen a tornado, nevar had massive wood burning, never had flood - I'm living in too boring land.

Lol, we've hit all of those in the last 6 months here. Yeah the earthquake thing is a bit weird here in Iowa, I hope theres no volcano.....

30yrMbr 06-03-2008 06:20 PM

Earthquakes in Cali.

Moved to California in late 60's from Minnesota, no earthquakes there, just Tornados, Hail, Sleet, Snow, Rain, Blizzards, heat, humidity and mosquitoes. I've been thru a number of quakes, 71 Sylmar nearly thru me out of bed, watched the Northridge quake from motel room in Minnesota (HS Reunion), Big Bear wasn't too bad from here.

30yrMbr 06-03-2008 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDKmann (Post 176916)
Lol, we've hit all of those in the last 6 months here. Yeah the earthquake thing is a bit weird here in Iowa, I hope theres no volcano.....

Think the volcano being referenced is the magma chamber under Yellowstone Park that could be a big eruption in the future.

Marv17 06-03-2008 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 30yrMbr (Post 176919)
Think the volcano being referenced is the magma chamber under Yellowstone Park that could be a big eruption in the future.

yeah thats the one im talking about. yes, at least someone other than me knows or heard about it. now it doesnt make me seem like im talking out of my as*, lol. but yeah, its in yellowstone park. i forgot the scientific term but the common name is like the monster volcano. its been said its a few miles wide, and that the eruption can wipe out a lot of land and black out at least half if not more of the earth with the ask and smoke which can possibily cause another cold/ice age. saw that on national geographics one time. they have interesting stuff on the channel.

its all a scary thought.
anyway, for now its "sleeping" so hopefully it won't go off in our lifetime cuz you never know when something can happen.

speaking of quakes, i think i felt one just know....

oh wait nevermind, it was me. i did a massive as* fart. haha.

thesk8nmidget 06-03-2008 07:27 PM

rofl!!!

oh and...
http://www.solcomhouse.com/yellowstone.htm

SDKmann 06-03-2008 09:31 PM

http://www.solcomhouse.com/fs2005-3024_fig_12.jpg

Thats a relief, Im safe!

Oh wait, Im moving to Des Moines..... damnit.

tiFreak 06-03-2008 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Instigater (Post 176866)

personally, I'd rather be bored than dead or homeless :biggrin: although, if you really think it's too boring there, there are methods you can make anything seem more exciting :bong:

ATF 06-03-2008 11:08 PM

New England ftw. Even though there was a VERY small quake that hit in Southern CT once.. so small, I didn't feel it when I was watching TV on my bed..

Marv17 06-04-2008 04:04 AM

yup. thats the one. damn, you guys did your quick research lol.
didnt know about the one in california tho. ekk :yikes:

elchicano 06-04-2008 04:44 AM

Well i have had a boring life too, haven't seen no natural disasters in my life either. Mostly because of the rocky mountains and since colorado is right in the middle of the states we usually don't get hit. But yea that volcano is something to think about.

SDKmann 06-05-2008 04:49 AM

Oh, since this thread has grown to encompass all natural disasters I thought it would be good to tell you that I experienced one today. I got to ride my bike through some flood waters this afternoon (I thought the bike path had finally dried up.... it was still very much underwater). Oh and apparently there was a tornado just south of Des Moines a few hours ago and the storms are coming our way.

Marv17 06-05-2008 06:09 AM

oh. dang. bummer man. tie down everything you can. dont want that ti taking off on a new flight anytime soon. knock on wood.
its funny how you're in a storm while we're enjoying the nice weather over here. knock on some more wood.

SDKmann 06-05-2008 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 177377)
oh. dang. bummer man. tie down everything you can. dont want that ti taking off on a new flight anytime soon. knock on wood.
its funny how you're in a storm while we're enjoying the nice weather over here. knock on some more wood.

Nah, nothing to worry about, tornados touch down all the time out here. Most of the time they arnt anywhere near people (lots of farm land out here). Unless your stupid and go outside during one you'll be fine.