318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   I'm thinking about buying a ti. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Is the 1997 318ti worth fixing up (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=11665)

bnemmers 07-26-2006 01:42 PM

Is the 1997 318ti worth fixing up

Hi,

I just bought the 1997 318ti 102K about 9 months ago and have found that the last owner did some strange things to the car. First he, I think it was a guy, put in a boom box in the back, was removed before I bought it. Added some cheap fog lights that I remove and I think replace the front bumper, but not sure. Anyway I think he was trying to make it look like a M3 because the 318ti badge was removed for the back and placed on the intake manifold had some lighted washer nozzle and some light installed in the head liner. I would like to restore it back to the way it came out of the plant, but it might cost a lot $$$. So would the effort and cost be worth it?

Bill

96cali 07-26-2006 03:38 PM

more detail and pics would be helpful.

bnemmers 07-26-2006 04:09 PM

I won't be able to take photo until next week, but there is no body damage except small dings and dents. But the left front parking light pops out and I notice from other photos of 318ti that there lenses are amber not clear. The side marker lights are clear as well. The logo on the side is a "M3"; the interior is in good shape except for the small screw holes in the ceiling where something was removed. Will need to replace the head liner, also there is a small antenna sticking down behind the rear view mirror that I think was part of a security system. It drive well except for the spark plug popping out, found fix for that, AC broken and can't turn the vent knob to the floor. Radio has been replaced but I believe the antenna is not connected. Found a small box inside the back left corner of the hatchback, I think it was from the factory for the stereo system but all of the wires of been cut. The spare tire is missing and the plastic well need repair. The two side compartments in the hatchback floor need replacing and the shelf that raises and lowers with the hatchback door need to be replaced. The seats and flooring are ok but need a good cleaning.

I hope this describes most of the issues and will post photo next week.
It's a fun car and I notice that they only made them from 96-99 and aren't that common around Denver.

Thanks
Bill ;-)

mohaughn 07-26-2006 04:30 PM

Are the side markers clear or white in color? When you say clear I think of the tail lights from something like a lexus that you now see on every honda that has a fart can strapped on.

The OEM "clear" which are more white than clear, are what came on the M3 and a lot of Euro models I think most people agree that it looks better that way.

FATHER 07-26-2006 04:49 PM

the oem clear is like "ice"