318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   First Flat Bed Ride (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=35982)

cali-ti 04-13-2012 07:55 PM

First Flat Bed Ride

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my ti got it's first ever flat bed ride after stranding the driver (not me of course, but the wife) at the side of the road. First breakdown ever ... 268,955 miles. What shoddy BMW reliability! :p

cooljess76 04-13-2012 08:34 PM

That's a bummer, but awesome at the same time. You're the original owner right Eric? Any ideas of what failed?

cali-ti 04-13-2012 08:52 PM

Believe the original alternator finally gave up the ghost. As my wife described it, the dash lights started flashing on/dimming, heard a soft buzzing noise like when you're cell phone vibrates, so she signaled to pull over (but it wouldn't even signal). She turned it off after getting to the side of the road and then it wouldn't start. She said it originally did nothing when she attempted to start it (at which point she called me) and when I tried it after arriving there, it would click only.

My insurance roadside assistance sent out a guy to try jumping it. It started and was running fine while his truck was hooked up to the battery, but once he pulled them off, it fairly quickly started sputtering and then died and wouldn't start again. At that point, I called RA back and had them send a flat bed to get it back to the house (only about 15 miles away).

Have the battery (about 3.5 years old) on a 2A charger now and will do some further troubleshooting this weekend.

Just about everything that has happened recently has happened while my wife has been driving (airbag light came on, flat tire, etc). I think the car may not like her. My wife calls my car my first wife, lol

EDIT: Yes, I'm the original owner so I can't complain much :) Car has been pretty awesomely reliable and has seen me through a lot.

1996 328ti 04-13-2012 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti (Post 326969)
Well, my ti got it's first ever flat bed ride after stranding the driver (not me of course, but the wife) at the side of the road. First breakdown ever ... 268,955 miles. What shoddy BMW reliability! :p

I'd call BMW for a courtesy warranty and reimbursement for the tow.

When I paid to have a fuel pump install (IDK, maybe 240,000) I asked if it was under warranty. I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEEDED A FUEL PUMP ALREADY!

cali-ti 04-13-2012 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996 328ti (Post 326976)
I'd call BMW for a courtesy warranty and reimbursement for the tow.

When I paid to have a fuel pump install (IDK, maybe 240,000) I asked if it was under warranty. I CAN'T BELIEVE I NEEDED A FUEL PUMP ALREADY!

LOL. What did they say? :)

The attempted jump and tow were covered by my insurance's roadside assistance so no worries there.

Thinking of picking up a battery/charging system tester from Harbor Freight tonight or tomorrow. Would be a handy thing to have. While I'm there, I can accidentally pick up an add-on to my tool chest, lol

1996 328ti 04-13-2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti (Post 326977)
LOL. What did they say? :)

They just looked at me like I was serious. I told them, I'M KIDDING!
Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti (Post 326977)
Thinking of picking up a battery/charging system tester from Harbor Freight tonight or tomorrow. Would be a handy thing to have. While I'm there, I can accidentally pick up an add-on to my tool chest, lol

I have one from Sears. It has come in handy a few times this winter.

teetime4one 04-14-2012 05:54 AM

bummer E
do you want me to come up Sunday so we can tear into it?
let me know

cali-ti 04-14-2012 08:23 PM

I just picked up the carbon pile load tester and will be testing the battery and alternator this afternoon. I'll let you know the outcome. Looks like a reman'd alternator is $200 and new is $350 (from Autohaus Arizona) so not too bad if it is bad.

Platanos 04-14-2012 09:23 PM

she looks sexy, all tied down on the flatbed..:lol:

Hope you get it worked out soon.

jca 04-15-2012 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti (Post 326973)
Believe the original alternator finally gave up the ghost. As my wife described it, the dash lights started flashing on/dimming, heard a soft buzzing noise like when you're cell phone vibrates, so she signaled to pull over (but it wouldn't even signal). She turned it off after getting to the side of the road and then it wouldn't start. She said it originally did nothing when she attempted to start it (at which point she called me) and when I tried it after arriving there, it would click only.

My insurance roadside assistance sent out a guy to try jumping it. It started and was running fine while his truck was hooked up to the battery, but once he pulled them off, it fairly quickly started sputtering and then died and wouldn't start again. At that point, I called RA back and had them send a flat bed to get it back to the house (only about 15 miles away).

Have the battery (about 3.5 years old) on a 2A charger now and will do some further troubleshooting this weekend.

Just about everything that has happened recently has happened while my wife has been driving (airbag light came on, flat tire, etc). I think the car may not like her. My wife calls my car my first wife, lol

EDIT: Yes, I'm the original owner so I can't complain much :) Car has been pretty awesomely reliable and has seen me through a lot.

How has the Cali top performed over all those miles and years. I'd like to get one sometime, but I worry about reliability.

cali-ti 04-15-2012 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jca (Post 327051)
How has the Cali top performed over all those miles and years. I'd like to get one sometime, but I worry about reliability.

Never had a problem with it. I don't use it all the time either however.

eurohb 04-19-2012 09:05 PM

I've had many :)

cali-ti 04-19-2012 09:35 PM

Update: Battery tested OK, charging system did not
Remanufactured alternator arrived today so I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend :)