318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Brakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   front disc set screw (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38839)

mreroc 07-27-2013 10:21 PM

front disc set screw

I have zimmermann 300 mm rotors in e46 328 calipers. I need a set screw and the bmw oem set screw does not fit. Does anyone know if Zimmerman uses a different set screw? Parts store could only come up with the bmw # that doesn't fit. Thanks, Eric

mtlblue 07-28-2013 03:15 AM

We just refreshed my 97s stock brakes, front screw was the same as the rears but the dealer wasnt listed for this for some reason. I think he was mentioning that the e46 was different somehow. Try realoem and compare

BimmerBum 07-28-2013 07:44 AM

The 300mm rotor takes the same set screw that the ti does. There should be absolutely no issue. Post up some pictures.

mreroc 07-29-2013 05:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the input and help guys. I had looked all over realoem and all the e36/e46 were showing the same part number, which is in one of the attached photos. Did you (mtblue) end up with a different set screw than the one in the photo?

I attached a pic of the rotor too, I don't know if it will help. The set screw is roughly 4 threads too long.

So, the original issue was a scraping/grinding coming from the brake when slowing down from ~10mph and under. The pads have ~20k mi on them. I checked out the pads and they're in good shape; the only thing amiss I noticed was the set screw was missing.

BimmerBum 07-29-2013 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreroc (Post 352022)
Thanks for the input and help guys. I had looked all over realoem and all the e36/e46 were showing the same part number, which is in one of the attached photos. Did you (mtblue) end up with a different set screw than the one in the photo?

I attached a pic of the rotor too, I don't know if it will help. The set screw is roughly 4 threads too long.

So, the original issue was a scraping/grinding coming from the brake when slowing down from ~10mph and under. The pads have ~20k mi on them. I checked out the pads and they're in good shape; the only thing amiss I noticed was the set screw was missing.

You have the right parts there. Not sure if this is obvious (if so, I apologize in advance) but in the picture of the rotor, the rotor is not aligned with the hole for the set screw. Turn the rotor until you see the hole in the rotor line up with the hole in the hub.

Additionally, a missing set screw will not cause any issues at all when the car is going down the road with all the wheels tight.

mreroc 07-29-2013 05:33 PM

Right, I forgot that relatively important part. There is no hole to align with; I checked thoroughly. My rough theory was it split off and part of it fused to the metal, the other part and shavings gave me the grinding? However, I cannot see any sign of it fusing, unless it did so that cleanly. Is this even a possibility?

BimmerBum 07-29-2013 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mreroc (Post 352024)
Right, I forgot that relatively important part. There is no hole to align with; I checked thoroughly. My rough theory was it split off and part of it fused to the metal, the other part and shavings gave me the grinding? However, I cannot see any sign of it fusing, unless it did so that cleanly. Is this even a possibility?

Not possible. The rotor and the hub spin together. Pull the rotor and snap a picture of the hub surface.

As for the grinding/scraping, check all the dust shields and make sure they are not contacting the rotors.

mreroc 07-29-2013 06:06 PM

Ok, thanks for the input, thought it was a long shot. I'll look at it again tomorrow.

mtlblue 07-29-2013 06:24 PM

Same screws that i have, but you have something else going on there.. but you say nowhere for you to screw yours into the hub? That can't be. Turn your disk till it aligns, it has to go in.. not sure if that's the root of your scraping though, caliper touching the disk, are you using the proper carrier, pads? That's all i got lol

mreroc 07-29-2013 06:38 PM

Thanks. Yeah, everything is right. It was a long weekend trying to decipher this. Back on it later.

mreroc 08-02-2013 01:59 AM

Just to bring an end to this one. Despite the odds, the set screw did shear off and with the heat made a real clean seal, thus the difficulty and confusion. Just leaving it in there. Thanks for the help.

BimmerBum 08-02-2013 02:32 AM

When you need a new front wheel bearing you can fix that issue.