318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Interior and ICE (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Replacing Lights Buzzer with Chime sound module (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=24081)

liloff 10-19-2008 09:24 PM

Replacing Lights Buzzer with Chime sound module

Guys,

This is something i was thinking about ever since I bought the car.
I find the buzzer sound quite annoying. After searching in all possible forums, never found someone who ever made this.

I guess the buzzer module is somewhere around the instrument cluster. Could you please guide me to a write-up or at least notes on how to do it. The idea is to disable the buzzer itself and replace it with the chime module # 65 81 8 360 995 that I find relatively easy to find.

I am a technical savvy person and would appreciate some hints...

Konstantin

Mallard 10-19-2008 09:28 PM

you dont need to ..

Get the "scandinavian" light switch.

And "Daytime running lights" unit.

Then when you switch off the car, the lights will go out. and youll never have to hear the buzzer again ;) ¨

liloff 10-19-2008 09:37 PM

To be honest with you, I never found this "Nordic" module and I always thought there is one.
Please give me some more info.

I found info on the DRL Module which is Canadian at the unofficialbmw howto-s, which doesn't turn on the backlights.

Please elaborate, the law is the same in Bulgaria - EU. Everytime I start the car I switch the lights on and I don't forget to turn them off but hearing the buzzer for 2 seconds while playing with my seatbelt irritates me :)

Will'sBimmer 10-20-2008 12:50 AM

Well if you just want to know where the buzzer is located. It is above your knees under the steering wheel. Just remove the few screws that are holding your knee bolster up and then you should see it. It will be connected to the knee bolster and is easy to disconnect, I removed mine in my old 85 e30 but I left it alone in my ti.

Maverix 10-20-2008 04:53 AM

Lol, I like the buzzer noise. Every time it goes off, people always ask me what the noise means. Reminds me of a missile lock-on alert.

liloff 10-20-2008 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer (Post 198560)
Well if you just want to know where the buzzer is located. It is above your knees under the steering wheel. Just remove the few screws that are holding your knee bolster up and then you should see it. It will be connected to the knee bolster and is easy to disconnect, I removed mine in my old 85 e30 but I left it alone in my ti.

Weird. I know it's there on most of the E36, but it's not there on the compacts... Does anyone know the buzzer # in RealOem

cooljess76 10-20-2008 08:02 AM

The buzzer is actually part of the instrument cluster. I think clex2 somehow rigged his oil pressure switch to activate the buzzer if the pressure drops. I could be mistaken though, it may have been his door chime module. John Firestone is the man when it comes to these types of mods.

liloff 10-20-2008 08:25 AM

Yep, that's the idea i have, to link the "idiot light" signal to the buzzer, and get the lights alarm to the chime module.

cooljess76 10-20-2008 08:54 AM

That's the thing though, if the cluster senses power going to the headlight switch, it's going to activate the buzzer. In order to perform this mod, if it's even possible, you're going to have to take apart your cluster. Now that I think about it, clex2 wired his oil pressure light to his door chime module, not the buzzer. I think the buzzer would be cooler, but dang that's gonna be tricky to pull off. If you rig it to the oil light, it's going to go off every time you start the car. I could deal with the door chime, but I don't think I'd want to hear the buzzer every time I start the car.

liloff 10-20-2008 09:24 AM

Good point. Yep true it's going to buzz everytime...

What is this door chime module that you have...? I don't have one on mine 96 M42 EU version

cooljess76 10-20-2008 09:33 AM

Is your car RHD? Mine is LHD and the door chime module is in the driver's side footwell under the dash. It only chimes if you open the door with the keys in the ignition.

To be honest, I don't even know if you can disable the buzzer in the cluster from buzzing when you leave your headlights on.

liloff 10-20-2008 10:46 AM

Nope, i don't have this :) it's LHD, VIN: AM10862. Fairly basic out of the factory, but with many retrofit updates, such as Aircon, Armrest, aftermarket alarm that controls the comfort module closing the windows after being engaged. E46 key with alarm integrated in... I can post later on pics when needed.

I have never seen a compact that has this chime module connected with the doors. Yes, I know it's there on pretty much every other BMW, but not on compact.

Are you aware of such retrofit kit, or at least the components. I will figure out how to make it.

Another mod that I am waiting the parts for is the central locking switch on the console. Not a single EU Compact E36 has this. It is only on the coupes from US I have seen and some sedans. That small rectangular button that locks/unlocks the doors and is usually placed above the button for the right windows... Where is it on yours?

Do you guys have this stock on your cars? I am wondering where to install it :)

Will'sBimmer 10-20-2008 06:30 PM

Yes the central locking button comes stock on all US Ti's I think. Both of mine have and every single other one that I have seen. It is right above the driver's side window button. Also the door chime module comes stock as well.

tiFreak 10-21-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will'sBimmer (Post 198692)
Yes the central locking button comes stock on all US Ti's I think. Both of mine have and every single other one that I have seen. It is right above the driver's side window button.

IIRC, 95s didn't come with it, I don't have one

Will'sBimmer 10-21-2008 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 198775)
IIRC, 95s didn't come with it, I don't have one

That sucks. Well at least I learned something today. :smile: