318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Whine coming from the engine, help me figure this one out Ti'rs ! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=38320)

Montrealer 04-21-2013 10:36 PM

Whine coming from the engine, help me figure this one out Ti'rs !

Hi guys, first of all, thanks in advnce for an awesome forum, loving the community

I got the car for a pittance a while back, I'm looking for some help figuring out the whining noise coming from the engine.

No check engine light, the car runs smooth but is pretty noisy, scheduled the oil change

Mini M3 04-21-2013 11:36 PM

sound like an empty power steering fluid reservoir...

try taking off the belts. See if it goes away. Then add them one by one and check for sound. Could be one of the idler pulleys going bad. You can also spray some lubricant near the bearings of the pulley itself to see if it shuts up (if it does theres your problem), but do with the engine off, then restart and recheck.

Good luck

Montrealer 04-21-2013 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mini M3 (Post 348169)

try taking off the belts. See if it goes away. Then add them one by one and check for sound. Could be one of the idler pulleys going bad. You can also spray some lubricant near the bearings of the pulley itself to see if it shuts up (if it does theres your problem), but do with the engine off, then restart and recheck.

Good luck

thanks so much will check the level right away

Montrealer 04-22-2013 12:41 AM

It's already dark outside, seems like power fluid levels are fine, anyone else have a suggestion ?

Montrealer 04-22-2013 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mini M3 (Post 348169)

Good luck

what kind of lubricant should I use ? :biggrin:

wolferj-RIP 04-22-2013 02:26 AM

Silicone lubricant spray.

My first thought before even listening to the video was an idler pulley.

zoner 04-22-2013 02:47 AM

+1 on the silicone lubricant- spray a small amount on the drive belt(s) and see if it makes any difference with the noise. You could also remove the drive belt and make sure the pullies, water pump, alternator, PS pump, etc. are all turning freely with no play. I've found that a mechanic's stethoscope is indispensable in situations like these...

From the video, it almost sounds like something is rubbing on the drive belt, but that could just be the recording or my speakers.

Montrealer 04-22-2013 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 348182)
+1 on the silicone lubricant- spray a small amount on the drive belt(s) and see if it makes any difference with the noise. You could also remove the drive belt and make sure the pullies, water pump, alternator, PS pump, etc. are all turning freely with no play. I've found that a mechanic's stethoscope is indispensable in situations like these...

From the video, it almost sounds like something is rubbing on the drive belt, but that could just be the recording or my speakers.

Hey ! Thanks a bunch will get some silicone lubricant and give it a shot tomorrow !

Question. Could it be the AC pulley ? the AC doesn't work on the car could it be what's causing this ?

zoner 04-22-2013 03:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montrealer (Post 348185)
Question. Could it be the AC pulley ? the AC doesn't work on the car could it be what's causing this ?

The A/C is run on a separate drive belt, so if the A/C is completely non-functional, as opposed to just needing a charge, you could always remove the A/C belt and start from there...