318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Tach/Speedo intermittently function? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30951)

Isis07 06-30-2010 12:59 AM

Tach/Speedo intermittently function?

Just looking for some insight on possible causes for this issue...

As stated in the title, my speedometer and tachometer occasionally cease to function. If I tap the cluster (or hit the dashboard over the cluster) it'll usually knock the speedometer back into a functioning position. Sometimes the tach will function again properly as well, but usually it will give highly inaccurate readings.

Also known to happen on occasion (particularly when hitting bumps), the entire cluster will reset. All the safety/warning lights light up and the door chimes as if I've just started the car. They turn off within a few seconds as they normally would.

The temp and fuel gauges both function properly without issue as well as my odometer and trip readout.

Pretty sure the problem is in my actual cluster since I can tap it to "readjust" it but I did check to make sure my DME is clean and it has no signs of damage or corrosion. Running the cluster in diagnostic mode displays the proper rpm's even if the tach isn't.

Thanks in advance for your assistance on what I should specifically look for.

cooljess76 06-30-2010 05:37 AM

Have you checked the connections on the back of the cluster? They shouldn't be able to come loose if the clip levers are completely engaged, but perhaps someone didn't install them properly. Since both your speedo and tach are acting up, the problem is definitely the cluster. Sounds like a loose connection.

Isis07 06-30-2010 06:07 AM

I've checked the connectors in the back of the cluster and even tried putting duct tape over them to hold them in tighter. Duct tape didn't fix all this time :frown:

I'll pop open the cluster tomorrow and see if there's anything obviously wrong or loose.

BlackBMWs 03-13-2012 07:46 PM

Any further feedback on this thread? Mine also intermettently fails, mostly works, usually after a quick rise in rpm. Speedo intermittently registers both High and low. Does the Speedo gets it's signal from the tranny and the tach from the positioning sensor off the flywheel?

I'll pull the cluster this weekend and check for loose connections.

Thanks! :cool:

spidertri 03-13-2012 07:50 PM

Speedo sensor is on the differential.

Isis07 03-13-2012 09:32 PM

I wasn't able to fix mine. Pnosker picked up my ti a while back and replaced the cluster to resolve the issue. I did crack open the cluster at one point to see if there was any obviously damaged soldering.. I didn't notice any but I'm also not savvy at all in that type of work and probably wouldn't have noticed it anyways.

BlackBMWs 03-13-2012 11:38 PM

Thanks for responding! I'll drive around this week and see if I can observe a failure pattern.

Regards! :cool:

---------------------------------------

So, I see the failure more on the Speedo. If I tap on the console, it works, then fails. This pattern happens when I peel out when loosing traction. (Unintentional... :biggrin:) Different issue, need tires, traction magic or a couple of sandfbags in the trunk. I'm thinking at least matching rear tires at this point. :cool: