318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   HVAC (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   water pump removal -- it's stuck! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19667)

bmw318tiChic 12-02-2007 12:16 AM

water pump removal -- it's stuck!

i just had a quick question about the removal of the water pump from my '96 318ti.

according to my bentley manual, it says that you remove the four bolts and then put two in the other holes and screw those in to push the water pump out. my dad and i have done that, and the metal top of the pump has started ripping apart, and the threads at the bottom of the pump feel as if they have been stripped from the pressure.

it seems like the pump is basically frozen to the engine block. what would you recommend that we do from here? is there any type of puller thing that we can use?

thanks so much :)

M3_KILL3R 12-02-2007 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmw318tiChic (Post 144678)
i just had a quick question about the removal of the water pump from my '96 318ti.

according to my bentley manual, it says that you remove the four bolts and then put two in the other holes and screw those in to push the water pump out. my dad and i have done that, and the metal top of the pump has started ripping apart, and the threads at the bottom of the pump feel as if they have been stripped from the pressure.

it seems like the pump is basically frozen to the engine block. what would you recommend that we do from here? is there any type of puller thing that we can use?

thanks so much :)

ive read on many different ways of getting that damn thing out.
one you could lightly tap it with a rubber mallet.
2 you could use a crow bar(people have done)
3 you could actually twist it to open the threads if you can see them.

can you take pics?

marleymon 12-02-2007 01:15 AM

This happened on mine too. I ended up cracking mine leaving the cylinder frozen in there. The impellar was the oem plastic type and broke too. Luckily the pieces flushed right out. I was able to piece it together to know I had them all.
As for the outer housing still stuck, I ran to the depot and bought a hand held hack saw. Two carefull cuts (10 minutes total w/ radiator removed) and I was set.

So, if your's is cracking try pb blaster....but it might be too late.

josh

CirrusSR22 12-02-2007 01:42 AM

My housing cracked too. I eventually pryed it out with a normal hammer claw, being careful not to damage the timing chain cover.

bmw318tiChic 12-02-2007 04:13 PM

Thanks guys :) I'll try some of these options today, although to M3_Kill3r, I already have tapped it with a hammer and tried to use a crowbar.. still won't budge.

b.u.ti-ful 12-02-2007 06:30 PM

Hey Chic, have you seen this thread?

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthrea...er+pump&page=2

bmw318tiChic 12-02-2007 08:14 PM

thanks b.u.ti-ful! i hadn't seen that thread, but it was really useful! we finally figured it out. we had to end up using a puller that we rented from auto zone.

b.u.ti-ful 12-02-2007 11:41 PM

I'll keep Autozone in mind if I have to do that job. Glad to hear you had success.

cooljess76 12-03-2007 06:24 PM

I know it's too late, but you guys all worked harder than you should've. My pump housing broke when I tried using the extracting holes, so I grabbed the pump body with a pair of channel lock pliers and with a couple sharp twists, the pump slid right out. Took 30 seconds. I wouldn't advise threading anything into or prying against your block. It can crack just as easily as your water pump did.

I wouldn't hammer on it either, it's designed to slide straight in and out. If you knock it crooked, you're putting a lot of stress on the block.

Edit; BTW, YOU'RE ALL FIRED!!!

M3_KILL3R 12-03-2007 10:14 PM

loll that was one of my suggestions

3 you could actually twist it to open the threads if you can see them.

marleymon 12-03-2007 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 144890)
I know it's too late, but you guys all worked harder than you should've.

yeah its too late....channel locks wouldnt have done **** with the mess I had. Mine took ten minutes and not much work.

cooljess76 12-04-2007 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marleymon (Post 144905)
yeah its too late....channel locks wouldnt have done **** with the mess I had. Mine took ten minutes and not much work.

It sounds like your whole pump shattered. That sucks! Did the impellar break while removing it? Thats exactly why I didn't use a hammer or mallet. I just gripped it and in a sharp twist/jerking motion, broke it free. But it still came straight out. I didn't want it to get jammed in the block with the impellar caught on a flange or something. I replaced mine with a metal impellar WP.

Someone mentioned that they couldn't get a bolt in the bottom hole because the housing was in the way. I ran into that problem too, but I happened to have an allen head bolt from my motorcycle that fit perfectly. Still didn't help though, since the upper flange broke off. If you use the extraction holes, be sure to thread each bolt in a little at a time alternating between the two.