318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Induction (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   New Supercharger on the market? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8398)

Midnight Autoworks 01-28-2006 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler
I'd be afraid to do the stage 3 from MA,i think over a short period of time it will put too much stress on the engine and afraid something will blow. I wanted a s/c at one point but i drive 3,000 miles a month give or take a little and really don't think it will work out to my benefit. I registered my car in RI in november 04 with about 60k on it and right now i got 94k on it.

My Z3 ( the one in the video) has had the stage three package for about 6 months now and before that it had the stage 2 package for well over a year. I have put about 30k miles since I first installed the S/C and its still running hard, and I havent ran into any problems. My car is the project car for MA so its been under more stress than any other car will endure with this S/C

Gus

AlaskaBlue 01-28-2006 11:35 PM

Can you post up some more videos of the car?

cali-ti 01-29-2006 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Midnight Autoworks
My Z3 ( the one in the video) has had the stage three package for about 6 months now and before that it had the stage 2 package for well over a year. I have put about 30k miles since I first installed the S/C and its still running hard, and I havent ran into any problems. My car is the project car for MA so its been under more stress than any other car will endure with this S/C

so you've tracked it and auto-x'd it how many times since the install? what range of temperatures and such has it been through (alaska winters through phoenix in summer)?

96cali 01-29-2006 05:12 AM

true- and if your smart and wait for group buys it's even lower. BTW notice I didn't say M3 swap. A 32x swap could be comparable.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti
i don't see that the price of the exhaust can be factored in since you have to do up a new exhaust on a 6 swap as well.

DASC = $3500 + $1000 for a LTW flywheel+clutch = $4500. considering all the stuff you need for a 6 swap, i think it's still cheaper. keep in mind you can keep your stock suspension and rear diff which i'm not sure i'd do with a 6.

NickG's stage 3 likely gets it a little closer in cost: ~$800 + HFM (got one for $70) and intake (don't know yet).

certainly the cost of the 6 swap has been getting cheaper and cheaper while the DASC stays about the same :(

just my 2 cents :)

Midnight Autoworks 02-03-2006 09:10 PM

More video coming tonight!0-100mph race between:
3.2l M roadster with M50 manifold, LW-flywheel, CAIS and exhaust.
vs.
1.9l z3 with Midnight autoworks stage 3 supercharger kit, no cats.

HuGo 02-03-2006 11:28 PM

Quote:

More video coming tonight!0-100mph race between:
3.2l M roadster with M50 manifold, LW-flywheel, CAIS and exhaust.
vs.
1.9l z3 with Midnight autoworks stage 3 supercharger kit, no cats.

not to be mean but, cant you test ur equipments on a TI being that we all own TI's here.

Tyler 02-03-2006 11:34 PM

Quote:

Gus

If i'm driving 3k miles on the highway a month and probally only 25 city miles i really don't need a s/c. When i 1st got my car 5yrs ago yeah but with all mydriving now i really don't need it,it's fast enough for me on the highway. I want my engine to last another 200k miles and don't want to add something that will reduce that. If i didn't do that much driving i might get one but i'd rather waste my money on something else to do to my ti.

HuGo 02-03-2006 11:35 PM

Quote:

If i'm driving 3k miles on the highway a month and probally only 25 city miles i really don't need a s/c. When i 1st got my car 5yrs ago yeah but with all mydriving now i really don't need it,it's fast enough for me on the highway. I want my engine to last another 200k miles and don't want to add something that will reduce that. If i didn't do that much driving i might get one but i'd rather waste my money on something else to do to my ti.

how is it that the S/C wears out the engine?? So you say it can last you another 200k, with the S/C how long would it last, just another 100k?

andyman7931 02-03-2006 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1996Bmw318TI
how is it that the S/C wears out the engine?? So you say it can last you another 200k, with the S/C how long would it last, just another 100k?

any performance part can cause extra wear on an engine, especially a supercharger or turbocharger. The extra heat and power generated can weaken things quicker than designed. If there wasn't a downside to cramming more air and fuel into engines, there wouldn't be any large displacement engines around.

Midnight Autoworks 02-03-2006 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman7931
any performance part can cause extra wear on an engine, especially a supercharger or turbocharger. The extra heat and power generated can weaken things quicker than designed. If there wasn't a downside to cramming more air and fuel into engines, there wouldn't be any large displacement engines around.

Well said

Tyler 02-03-2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Depends on how you drive your car. Lets say we both have ti's with exactly 100k on it and you put a s/c on it and i don't. I would guarantee that my car will live longer than yours.

HuGo 02-03-2006 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyman7931

thank you, see why cant you just help me like that.

madfronter 02-03-2006 11:46 PM

Quote:

I have been having the same thought as you lately. I have to be more realistic with my car now that it has 187,000 miles on it and I don't want to stress it the F out. I drive about 800-900 mile per week. When I first got my car and had the money I would have done the super charger but now with the amount of miles on my car and the fact I want to make it last at least another 100k its not going to happen. The only way I would do it is if I rebuilt the engine first or bought a new engine. If I bought a new engine it would most likely be the Bavarian Engine Exchanges performance engine and I don't think I would SC that.

Midnight Autoworks 02-03-2006 11:50 PM

Quote:

not to be mean but, cant you test ur equipments on a TI being that we all own TI's here.

I just shipped a kit out to a 318 guy ,Tu quach, he had never heard of this site before so I told him about it , hopefully he can post pics and so on.

But right now, I have to go to the race(Mroadster vs. supercharged 1.9l), were meeting up at 6:30-7ish on okechobee rd. just west of the turn pike, if any one here is in the Miami area and wants to come call me (954)-696-7333.

Tyler 02-03-2006 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madfronter
I have been having the same thought as you lately. I have to be more realistic with my car now that it has 187,000 miles on it and I don't want to stress it the F out. I drive about 800-900 mile per week. When I first got my car and had the money I would have done the super charger but now with the amount of miles on my car and the fact I want to make it last at least another 100k its not going to happen. The only way I would do it is if I rebuilt the engine first or bought a new engine. If I bought a new engine it would most likely be the Bavarian Engine Exchanges performance engine and I don't think I would SC that.

If i get a new engine i'd probally look into this acs 2.1L engine and put a custom s/c or turbo on it...

http://www.acschnitzer.com/englisch/...6_englisch.pdf