318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Maintenance (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sticky throttle pedal (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10577)

nigeltee 05-17-2006 07:49 PM

Sticky throttle pedal

Guys,

Since having our ti, we have had a problem with the throttle pedal sticking in the closed position.

Its mostly noticeable when applying gentle throttle pressure, such as crawling in traffic, or moving away from traffic lights.

Before anyone says, just put your foot down, its not that simple, because you dont always need much throttle.

HAving a sticky pedal can make for jerky progress.

Our mechanic has greased the pivot on the top of the pedal and am pretty sure he sprayed some cleaner into the throttle body. ( if thats correct, i am no mechanic). After doing this it was momentarily better, but the problem has come back.

Any suggestions on what i could do?

Thanks in advance,

Nige

clex2 05-17-2006 09:59 PM

I have had a similar probelm, but very intermittently. About a year ago, I forcefully sprayed a ton of lubricant down the throttle cable sleeve. I don't remember exactly what I used. Could be WD-40 or Silicone. Now, the problem is either gone or so infrequent that I can't rememeber if it's still there. Give it a try. I made sure it got in there real good and I think I moved the cable in and out between sprays thinking it would loosen any gunk that was possibly making the cable stick.

nusstroy 05-17-2006 10:49 PM

had that problem in the suburban, didnt matter much because it takes enough acceleator to start moving in those things in the first place, i just greased up the throttle cable (WD-40), it doesnt stick any more.

Good luck!

dodj 05-18-2006 12:15 AM

mine sticks sometimes, i usually just give it a little tap then its ok.

nigeltee 05-20-2006 05:37 PM

lube up the cable, so simple, yet overlooked. thanks for your help. will get the wd on it soon.

Nigel

pdxmotorhead 05-20-2006 06:02 PM

Motorcycle shops sell a little widget that allows you to power lube cables. Works great, especially when you use real cable lube with it.

Dave

clex2 01-21-2007 06:51 AM

Not to bring up an old thread, but the latest thing I did was to adjust the throttle cable so that there was absolutely no slack in it. You can adjust it where the cable meets the throttle body. This completely solved the sticky throttle pedal.

AutoM3otives 01-21-2007 08:31 AM

At first, I adjusted my cable, but that still caused for a sticky accelerator. So I just went ahead and picked up a new throttle cable. Problem solved.

Joy 01-21-2007 11:00 AM

The problem could also be the throttlebody itself. Normally the valve inside the throttlebody closes and almost perfectly seals the intake. But when there is dirt-buildup everytime you apply the throttle you have to push through the solid dirt. So what you have to do is, take of the rubber hose and airbox. Unclip sensor, unclip throttlecable and unscrew your throttlebody. Than you have a good access to the valves. Clean them with carburator-spray and a piece of cloth.

L84THSKY 01-21-2007 03:10 PM

I have one of those, my throttle on my motorcycle got stuck a few times on the Long Island Expressway......:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxmotorhead (Post 71138)
Motorcycle shops sell a little widget that allows you to power lube cables. Works great, especially when you use real cable lube with it.

Dave

oakley 01-21-2007 03:46 PM

Had the same problem..(i posted on here if i remember correctly)..had the main dealer (in Barnstaple no less!! Good to hear from someone in the same area even if i have moved up the rd abit...keep ya eye out tho my family still live in Westward Ho! and Appledore so i spend alot of time down there..give me a beep if ya see me!!) Anyway side tracked... the dealer stripped and clean the throttle body cost about £35 and iv never had the prob since.. money def well spent!!

briansol 03-31-2009 05:00 AM

bumping an old thread... i'm having the same problem.

I've lubed the cable, lubed the hinge on the pedal itself, clean the TB area to make sure it was gunk free and i'm still occasionally (mostly on the highway) getting stuck. Cable is taught.

Is swapping the cable the next solution?

nigeltee 03-31-2009 06:12 PM

throttle cable

Have you taken the throttle body off of the car and cleaned inside it? did you check for a ridge on the body where the butterfly shuts to it? Loads of carb cleaner and gentle massage with some wet n dry or similar should do it.

Stripping the carb was given some editorial in one of the beemer mags, i may have it somewhere if you need it.

I only needed to clean my body and its been fine eversince. Even has proper variable idle speed now.

HTH

Nige

briansol 03-31-2009 10:59 PM

i cleaned out the TB with a qtip. wasn't much build up in there at all.. just a little soot.

R111S 04-18-2009 11:52 PM

Don't forget to lube the Cruise Control Cables too. I use a Motion-Pro Cable Luber available from my local Motorcycle Shop.