318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Camshaft position sensor (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=28093)

318ti_IL 09-20-2009 04:34 AM

Camshaft position sensor

I had code error

P0340 CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR ”A”
CIRCUIT (BANK 1 OR SINGLE SENSOR)

.. so i replaced my camshaft sensor (pic 2, marked with #2. Sensor location is on the front above thermostat (pic 1), and connector is located under intake manifold.

I also replaced 2 small gaskets under intake manifold (marked with #3 on pic 2) and Air Hose, from Idle Control Valve to Air Boot (marked on pic 1).

After couple miles of driving, my check engine light come back...
Any suggesting ?

BTW i may be a wrong but car runs just little better (even before wasn't bad, only when cold sometimes started shaking - and yes air hose to idle valve was teared), but i hate to see check engine light on.

How do i get rid of this error? Thank for any reply and ideas.

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3296/bim1.jpg
http://img220.imageshack.us/img220/3972/bim21.jpg

spidertri 09-20-2009 04:51 AM

Is it the same code as before? Maybe when you were working on it you forgot to reattach something or didn't tighten it enough?

xxxJohnBoyxxx 09-20-2009 05:15 AM

The code P0340 is not always a bad camshaft sensor Here is a C&P:

A code P0340 could mean one or more of the following has happened:

•a wire or connector in the circuit could be grounded/shorted/broken
•the camshaft position sensor may have failed
•the PCM may have failed
•there exists an open circuit
•the crankshaft position sensor may have failed

Possible SolutionsWith a P0340 OBD-II trouble code, diagnosis can be tricky at times. Here are some things to try:

•Visually inspect all the wiring and connectors in the circuit
•Check for continuity in the circuit wiring
•Check the operation (voltage) of the camshaft position sensor
•Replace the camshaft position sensor as required
•Check the crankshaft position circuit as well
•Replace circuit wiring and/or connectors as required
•Diagnose/replace the PCM as required

The PCm is the DME in our cars. By the way nice clean engine bay.

318ti_IL 09-21-2009 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spidertri (Post 244761)
Is it the same code as before? Maybe when you were working on it you forgot to reattach something or didn't tighten it enough?

Yes it's same code, I did not forget to connect something...

But this is crazy, first day after i replaced sensor check engine light reset itself after starting the car, for 20-30 minutes of driving then come back, today (second day), check engine was on for first 4-5 miles then it turn off itself (after i made stop and turn off car)... I drive car for whole day (about 50-60 miles, made couple stops, went to highway...) and light stayed off.

I did not touch anything since yesterday, but light is OFF now and car runs much better now...

xxxJohnBoyxxx 09-21-2009 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 318ti_IL (Post 244843)
Yes it's same code, I did not forget to connect something...

But this is crazy, first day after i replaced sensor check engine light reset itself after starting the car, for 20-30 minutes of driving then come back, today (second day), check engine was on for first 4-5 miles then it turn off itself (after i made stop and turn off car)... I drive car for whole day (about 50-60 miles, made couple stops, went to highway...) and light stayed off.

I did not touch anything since yesterday, but light is OFF now and car runs much better now...

I will bet it will come back. When it does look for frayed wiring on the other end of the plug leading to the DME. Also check the plug connection for corrosion...These things don't fix themselves. Also there will be a stored code for the event if the CEL came on.

318ti_IL 09-23-2009 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 244860)
I will bet it will come back. When it does look for frayed wiring on the other end of the plug leading to the DME. Also check the plug connection for corrosion...These things don't fix themselves. Also there will be a stored code for the event if the CEL came on.

I hope it wont come back but if it does i will check.

About "other end of the plug leading to the DME.", is that under intake where did i plug sensor in?

Also i heard that after replacing of sensor i have to reset/clear error code with OBD2, is that right ?

Ralliart10 04-21-2011 01:47 AM

I got the same code today
DID ur CEL went away?

318ti_IL 04-21-2011 02:28 AM

No. I had to replace ignition coil and camshift sensor (second time). After that mechanic clears errors (he did all work) and car runs like new now.

pdxmotorhead 04-21-2011 04:59 AM

Did you VERY VERY carefully inspect the air hose?

It can get small cracks in it. I found them with break cleaner.
speayed it on the inside(Off the car) and it bled out through the cracks.

Dave

318ti_IL 04-21-2011 02:06 PM

Mine had big crack so I got new one couple months ago (little after starting this thread), and I had small hole on power steering hose which my mechanic found and fixed.

slow_ti 04-24-2011 02:16 AM

How hard was the install

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralliart10 04-24-2011 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slow_ti (Post 299128)
How hard was the install

Not to hard you just need to remove the upper intake
Did your sensor go bad too bro?

slow_ti 04-24-2011 01:14 PM

Ok. Sweet. And yeah. The code comes on every once and a while. Annoying aha