318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Personal bios and Introductions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Rudolph the Red 318ti (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=44609)

MisterM52 05-06-2019 10:49 PM

Rudolph the Red 318ti

5 Attachment(s)
Hello Everyone, First time Ti owner here, Recently I came across this little Red 318ti (1998) and I just had to grab it. My first BMW was actually a 4 Pot some decade or more ago. I had so many BMW's in my life, my other car is a Supercharged M52B28 E36, Factory M Spec. But I think so far I have a soft spot for the Ti for reasons that I can't explain. Maybe its the sunroof. :wink:

The M44B19 318Ti is SUCH a wonderful little machine that there is nothing I can say that can make up for the feeling the first time you start driving this down the road and then take it up on the highway. Its just brilliant! :biggrin:

The downsides, apart from the typical dent or scratch, its pretty good, but the cars got some leaks, which I suspect could be the timing cover gasket, I will be doing the pan gasket and oil filter gasket hoping it fixes the issues. Will then replace the fluid on the auto box. Going to start a build topic on the projects section soon as I already did some work.

These cars dont get enough love. They deserve it. There is a good community behind it and so I will be doing a supercharger project for it this year and release it to public as we did for the 6 Cylinder BMW's.

Here are some pictures of mine.

BRADESTAR 05-07-2019 03:05 AM

I like your interior cloth. But, you are driving on the wrong side of the road!

Welcome.

joe1602 05-07-2019 12:31 PM

I was thinking exactly the same thing! Welcome. You are correct, these little things don't get enough love. Mine is a blast & I continue to love driving it every day (when I can)! Keep us posted.

FunElan 05-07-2019 07:57 PM

That interior is awesome! Welcome to the org. Would love to hear more about the supercharger kit.

MisterM52 05-08-2019 07:19 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks guys, yea the interior is quite good actually for its age and mileage, held up well and the head liner was also replaced, the seats are fine, the glove box doesn't have issues, overall very tidy.

So I have been doing some maintenance to the fella. Took off the intake and well the injector vacuum lines were half broken and leaking. Cleaned them up, replaced with better hoses and all everywhere. The CCV was cleared a but as well as the ICV.

I deleted the Charcoal Canister and plugged the hole with a nut and some JB Weld. Cleaned up the MAF. Finally had to go under and wash the engines front a bit and now that's its got some more miles on it, I don't think the timing case was leaking at all and that it was likely years of fumes and crap along oil from the oil filter housing there somehow. (I hope this is true)

Here's some pics.

MisterM52 05-08-2019 07:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Also not sure if there is a better place to post in the forum where the posts wont disappear and can be more like a build log? sorry a bit confused. :confused:

Here are some pictures of the 2 Superchargers I will start with, the small one is the AMR500, and the larger one is the SC14. :biggrin:

But before I begin on those, Next in line is a DIY X Brace, The Oil Filter Housing, The Oil Pan, Trans Fluid & Filter, may add a second trans cooler, remove the fan shroud, alter the top radiator hose, Rocker Cover Gasket and New Sparkplugs, Battery Relocation to Trunk, PCV / Catchcan with one way valve. Then I can begin the SC project. :wink:

Trusted-1 05-08-2019 03:16 PM

One oil problem I have had to fix on more than one M44 is the O rings on the oil filter housing. You will know if that is the issue since it is a big leak but only about a 3 hour job to do. Once the Fan, belts, alternator & bracket are off, the oil filter housing is pretty easy to access.

Good Luck.

I am still hanging on to a DASC kit I have hoping for a 1991 318is but it was awesome on the 318ti too.

thenjnick 05-08-2019 11:07 PM

Man this is gonna be interesting to follow, if only I had enough money to mess around with a supercharger haha. Super clean car by the way i love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MisterM52 05-12-2019 06:48 AM

Thanks guys, So tomorrow I am heading to a yard in the morning to find myself a e36 sedan to pull the positive cable outta, along with some other bits, may add a secondary trans cooler and a cross support bar usually found to support auto boxes or just the regular bar that connects the sides of the unibody and make my own xbrace from it. gonna pick up some check valves too.

This gonna be fun.. Just preparations before its supercharged. :D

PS: I am thinking of doing my own Red/Copper RTV for the Pan Gasket & the Oil Filter Housing Gasket, getting the Orings part new. Any objections?

MisterM52 05-13-2019 10:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
So.. I got myself a long piece of cable, a transmission cooler and a transmission cross member strut.

So around mid day I went to the local junk yard where they had a bunch of 3 series and 5 series (newer models) being parted. All the 3 series ones either had their battery terminals cut off or wires stripped out, I was looking for something complete in one solid piece so I found that in this newer 5 series. I went to work, I didn't even have to move the seat in the 5 series to get the wire out.

I had one nice 5 series power distribution block and then I went over to a e36 and took its power distribution cord and the cord that goes to connect to the alternator & starter, unbolted and voila. There I had my nice giant piece of cable for less than 20 bucks or so. I took off the trans cooler from an e36 and the cross member support some cars came with, to make up my own xbrace with some box tubing. :biggrin:

After I was done with nicking a few small parts here and there, I was off with it all in my trunk. Was time to light up a cigar. :wink:

Some pictures.

MisterM52 05-19-2019 10:45 AM

Battery Relocation & Custom Xbrace!

5 Attachment(s)
So I finally relocated my battery few days ago to the trunk, I was also able to reuse the existing battery tray in the engine bay and mounted it in the rear most corner (usually where the regular E36's have their batteries. The rear side panel clips needed some attention so JB weld plastic bonder to the rescue! :D I will do some more maintenance before the supercharger goes in but not going to spend more than a few hours on it every other day.

I also added a custom DIY xbrace any I made, that anyone can do. It still needs to be painted...will have separate topic on the xbrace in the other forum.

Adding some pictures below.

MisterM52 05-19-2019 10:54 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pictures... :cool:

I had a few problems while relocating the battery, the worse was since the cable was out of a newer 5 series it joined in the cabin, and then I realized the rear windshield wiper lines were cracked and my cabin was flooded with water, so a days delay and replaced the solid plastic type brittle hose with some nylon and regular transparent hose, which did the trick. The battery was mounted using a nutsert and 2 threaded rods, sit sturdy as a rock. :tongue:

MisterM52 06-03-2019 01:05 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Replaced the rear and side water hoses the other day. added some red rtv just to be safe, gosh the rear one is an awful job. Just 2 bolts and it takes a lot of patience and PITA to get it out and back in, not to mention clean up the area smooth.

Also a sneak peak on the 2 superchargers we have been playing with

The AMR 500 is the little guy - 500cc which is a bit smaller than the M45 thats around 750cc.

The buffier guy is the SC14 - 1.4L which is around the same size as the M90 Eaton.

Thoughts please :cool:
I will probably make a better log in the forced induction section of our M442/M44 supercharger kits development. :wink:

Don318ti 06-14-2019 08:15 AM

Such a nice clean Ti! Love the red too.

anassa 06-15-2019 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don318ti (Post 390525)
Such a nice clean Ti! Love the red too.

Same! Looks like a very interesting build! Update when you can please. :smile: