318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Stolen gas! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23322)

stolibeaux 08-20-2008 10:29 PM

Stolen gas!

Well I just had to share this story. About a month ago when gas prices in Texas were $4 a gallon, I walked out of my apartment one morning and smelt a strong gasoline fumes. I have a 1997 318ti and a 2003 Honda Element. I park both of them beside each other. Here recently I have been driving the Element, so the Bimmer has been parked. I do a walk around both cars. Nothing dripping out from underneath them. I checked the gas door on the Bimmer which was locked. The Honda has a locking gas cap which was secure. The only thing I noticed was a empty gatoraid bottle and a glass jar on the side walk. I went to check them out, they both smelt of gasoline. So fast forward 1 month. I wanted to go wash the Bimmer and get it all cleaned up from being parked. So i try to start it and it just spins over. I remember parking it with "10 miles to empty" so It didn't have much gas in it to begin with. I thought well, its been 120 degress outside so maybe the gas evaporated some how. I dunno much about gas. So I went out and bought about one and half gallons of gas to put in. As I pour it in I start to hear this drip, drip, drip....so i look underneath the car...there is a perfect hole on the side of the gas tank. Similar to a small drill bit. All I can say is I bet whoever stole the gas was pissed because that's probably less than a third of a gallon they got. Ha! So $5 dollars on a repair kit, and she is patched back up. I drive her around town and all seems to be fine. I now park her against a fence where the gas tank isn't accessible. People will try anything! If they only knew that the honda was full of gas and could easy been drained. Why did they choose the BMW is besides me. Just thought I'd share my experience. I did file a police report, but didn't have them come out because so much time had past and I'd already started patch'n it.

b.u.ti-ful 08-20-2008 10:42 PM

Whatthebloodyhell?

I hope this in not a new trend.

Glad to hear you could fix it cheaply.

thesk8nmidget 08-20-2008 10:51 PM

my car is to low to get under it

lowered cars FTW!

that does suck a big fat one though!

Maverix 08-21-2008 01:38 AM

That's why I (Yes, me, myself, and I) installed wireless cameras all over my house, connected to my PC. The night vision cameras are installed where my car can be clearly seen. Anyone getting close to my car might as well just smile for the camera and wave.

bmwpelican 08-21-2008 01:45 AM

kinda creepy but whatever gets the job done.^

and yeah even stock, bmw are tough to get under, if they were smart they would just get a SUV or pickup.

elchicano 08-21-2008 01:48 AM

People have been doing this for a while. They basically drill a hole on the gas tank and steal your gas. I say it isn't the smartest idea, since they are drilling a hole on metal, it might heat up. It might get hot enough to set a spark and that would just go from bad to worse. I did hear about this guy who decided to check how much gas was in a car with a lighter. In the end he had burns all over his face. haha

Mad-Machine 08-21-2008 02:49 AM

yes, but aren't our tanks plastic? Besides, as long as you are below the level of the fuel, nothing it going to happen. Gasoline is very hard to ignite, it is the fumes that are explosive

elchicano 08-21-2008 04:41 AM

I didn't know they were plastic. But still though i don't think its worth it.

roadrash 08-21-2008 04:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwpelican (Post 189702)
if they were smart they would just get a SUV or pickup.

"Smart thief" is a bit of an oxymoron, but if the thieves were smart, they'd also steal the catalytic converter while they're under there.

tiFreak 08-21-2008 05:12 PM

wow, that sucks, I've been thinking of buying one of those springs that you put in your filler neck to prevent the gas from being siphoned, seems like even that won't work now :eek:

cooljess76 08-21-2008 05:23 PM

Rollin on "E" FTW! Best LTW mod ever!

LostCause 08-22-2008 12:20 AM

people around here have been doing that for awhile to. Its a shame what people will do these days for gas!