318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Suspension (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   cosmoracing (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16894)

turbo87 07-05-2007 12:55 PM

cosmoracing

well i was looking about for coilovers a week ago and saw the ones on cosmo racing doesnt hurt to try things. THEY CAME TODAY and i have to say 1st off customer services is good it came within in a week to the UK then there is a manual that tells you all about the product and how to isntall and a bonus is a little badge lol. 2nd i have been comparing the quality to the skunk2 ones on my civic they look the part they really do now i just need to install them and report back :smile:

sorry about the poor image quality in the rush of excitment i grabed my phone lol

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/upl...6f67edd309.jpg

DustenT 07-05-2007 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo87 (Post 126650)
well i was looking about for coilovers a week ago and saw the ones on cosmo racing doesnt hurt to try things. THEY CAME TODAY and i have to say 1st off customer services is good it came within in a week to the UK then there is a manual that tells you all about the product and how to isntall and a bonus is a little badge lol. 2nd i have been comparing the quality to the skunk2 ones on my civic they look the part they really do now i just need to install them and report back :smile:

sorry about the poor image quality in the rush of excitment i grabed my phone lol

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/upl...6f67edd309.jpg

Those aren't for a 318ti, are they? The rears aren't going to work. The 318ti has a different rear suspension then the rest of the e36 lineup.

turbo87 07-05-2007 01:28 PM

no its for the TI in the "how to install -(with pictures)" shows how it fits on the TI when i get it on the car il report back

ATF 07-05-2007 02:26 PM

I came across this on their website too and wondered how it looks/worked. Pics asap!!!

mohaughn 07-05-2007 03:28 PM

Maybe I'm confused, but coilovers should also have an integrated shock/strut. Are these just springs with height adjustable mounts?

turbo87 07-05-2007 03:31 PM

with coilover's you can use the stock strut or you can buy better ones i dont plan on buyin new struts right now. il post some more photos later on, i really just want to get this on my car guess il have to wait

DustenT 07-05-2007 04:04 PM

I'm confused how an adjustable collar is going to do anything in the rear.

larryn 07-05-2007 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustenT (Post 126684)
I'm confused how an adjustable collar is going to do anything in the rear.

+1

Does this kit eliminate the need for separate rear springs, or work in conjunction with those springs?

I wouldn't want to put extra pressure on the stock rear shock towers by replacing where the springs go, without some major reinforcing done beforehand.

Also, are designed to work with a particular shock? (Bilstein/Koni).

turbo87 07-05-2007 07:33 PM

ok this is what the coil over does on the back of the TI it removes the stock spring and is replaced by the the "collar" now you are able to adjust the ride height as the sleeve will allow you to expand or contract the spring that is between it.

so really its just replacing it with a smaller stiffter spring where you can adjust the height thats it.

Gallant 07-05-2007 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turbo87 (Post 126724)
ok this is what the coil over does on the back of the TI it removes the stock spring and is replaced by the the "collar" now you are able to adjust the ride height as the sleeve will allow you to expand or contract the spring that is between it.

so really its just replacing it with a smaller stiffter spring where you can adjust the height thats it.

Would there be any areas that'd be in need of strengthening with your set up?

bmxmax 07-05-2007 08:42 PM

the 4 springs look the same. aren't the back ones much smaller on the ti ??
those are not coilovers.they are adjustable coil-springs. I tryed that long time ago on a civic,and I didn't like that. hopefully the one you have are better! I'm curious to see how they feel on your car

turbo87 07-06-2007 10:07 PM

ok the back springs weigh more then the front springs. i fitted the whole kit today the back is perfect i am able to adjust the height. Over all the car is nice and stiff just one problem the front set up, it wont allow me to adjust the height dont know why. Its because the there is a collar before the spring and after the metal washer that you turn to adjust the height and there is no way of moving it up and down so it just keeps spinning the whole set up.

i have an idea tho, to buy 2 more of those metal washers and take off the collars and replace it with the washers this way i can hold one washer while moving the other one :smile:

now just need to contact cosmo racing to tell them the situation and get those washers or some help. if anyone could help me it i would appreciate it ALOT as i dont really want to get parts. I will take some pictures tomorrow. i really do like the set up its nice and stiff and there is no roll at all when taking corners. The only thing that has gotten to me is the front problem lol and all night i thought i would have a problem with the back because of you guys guess its luck but its a easy fix i guess.

larryn 07-07-2007 02:07 AM

Please take pics, and maybe we can offer assistance. It's hard to understand what is happening from your description.

I do have a question though. If it replaces the rear springs, you would be putting all that weight on the RSMs. Normally, you only have the shock rebound weight on the RSMs. The spring carried some of the weight of the rear of the car too.

turbo87 07-07-2007 02:28 PM

ok here is a photo of the front coil set up i have also pointed out the problem. i really want this fixed its driving me mad as the back of the car is perfect and the front is like a speed boat lol

http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/9e604b06b3.jpg

larryn 07-07-2007 04:43 PM

The threaded part should have something on it that allows it to lock to your existing strut, or else the entire threaded part will spin on the strut. Aren't there set screws on the threaded insert somewhere?