318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   Replaced bad starter and still nothing (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29925)

indiejack 03-23-2010 05:37 AM

Replaced bad starter and still nothing

So now what? After a hell of an ordeal getting the upper and lower intake manifold off and out of the way we had direct access to pull the starter and get it tested. Test concluded that it was shot so I picked up a replacement at the auto parts store, it was late by then so we figured we'd reassemble the following day (today). Hooked everything back up, no wire left unplugged and no bolt or screw left as I'm meticulous about organizing as I pull parts off.

Turned the key and get a clicking on some relays and the lower dash is pulled for both passenger and drivers side, one of the smaller relays clicks on the drivers side (not the longer Starter Immob. one). The radio says CODE on it and I tried to put in the code, several times with one my wife said was in our owners documentation (not sure where she got the number, it was not right as I found the right one after trying several times to put in the wrong one). Could this be keeping the EWS in check and not allowing the car to even crank? I did read in the Owners Manual that if the incorrect code is entered that the key & radio need to remain on for one full hour before the code can be re-entered properly.

Hopefully somebody knows whatever it is I may be overlooking (or forgetting) as I'm anxious to get her back on the road.

Junk 03-24-2010 04:39 PM

did you test the new starter? Don't think the radio code would have anything to do with EWS..

indiejack 03-25-2010 03:35 AM

Yes, the starter was tested at the parts shop, I am confident that it's something else that may have been fried with the starter somehow.

Junk 03-25-2010 03:57 AM

Sure the wires went on right? And no blown fuses?

indiejack 03-25-2010 04:45 AM

Wires went on like they came off and no visible blown fuses, don't smell any burnt up relays either. It's a mystery for sure.

chudzikb 03-25-2010 10:46 AM

Are you getting power to the starter? Whip out the test light and start figuring out where power is making it to and you should eventually find the problem. I am betting either ignition switch or something with the immobilizer?

indiejack 03-25-2010 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chudzikb (Post 264976)
Are you getting power to the starter? Whip out the test light and start figuring out where power is making it to and you should eventually find the problem. I am betting either ignition switch or something with the immobilizer?

Starter is getting power as well as the ignition, we broke down the lower dash on both sides and the bottom part of the steering wheel assembly. Tested the back of the ignition and it's getting power as well. I'm still leaning towards immobilizer, I've read a few places that this can be bypassed, of course it removes a layer of theft protection but if I could temporarily bypass it I could rule that out or find my issue. Can anyone confirm a temporary bypass solution?

chudzikb 03-25-2010 02:07 PM

I ran into a similar issue on an old B-4 Passat, replaced the starter (which I was told was shot) and nothing. It turned out to be the alarm control module. It was a relay box set off by the correct signal coming from the ecu. Looked at it, considred replacing, then found the thick wires that were for the starter, stripped and spliced, never had another problem. Just went around it. I have no idea where this is on the BMW, but, there has to be a way...

Junk 03-26-2010 07:15 PM

Ah, not sure but I would search for '95 EWS information as I thought there was a way to bypass EWS-1.. (you've probably ready) I have ews-ii so I don't remember any specifics sorry..

If it is the immobiliser, maybe you can reset it by locking and unlocking the doors with the key or something like that? Dunno.. good luck!

rmorales015 04-26-2010 06:51 AM

check the grounding of the motor(engin) to the car> sometimes rust or even if its a bit loose the car wont start.

dguzzardo22 05-14-2010 03:26 AM

ever figure out the problem ? mine will not turn over and im thinking its the immobilizer but i have a 96 m44 and idk where its located..

Philly 05-14-2010 04:27 AM

Dguzz, more symptoms... is the starter turning? just not "catching"? did you just replace it? etc

Junk 05-15-2010 04:31 AM

not a weak battery from sitting too long is it? Seems odd immobilisers would be so much trouble...Guess they work too good!

though I wouldn't think you would hear clicking.. like if you stall the engine and try to restart without turning key off.. there is no clicking..?

cooljess76 05-15-2010 05:22 AM

If you guys have manual trannys, check the clutch switch.

THAT318 05-15-2010 05:39 AM

manually connect power to the starter? solves half of my starting problems at work lol. ok well only had to do it on one car but try that. disconnect the connectiong and run a wire from + bat terminal to the + on starter. easiest way to pass immobilizer.