318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Help!!! TIMING!!! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41503)

Black318ti1009 05-12-2015 09:12 AM

Help!!! TIMING!!!

Recently the lower timing chain guide snapped! I got a mechanic to fix it but he removed the timing chain with out marking them :mad: So I want to know how can I get the car time back to normal?

Someone give me some advice please :frown:

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-12-2015 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black318ti1009 (Post 373210)
Recently the lower timing chain guide snapped! I got a mechanic to fix it but he removed the timing chain with out marking them :mad: So I want to know how can I get the car time back to normal?

What year M42 or M44? Should be able to TDC number 1 piston then allign the two camshaft end blocks. There is a tool to lock the cams in place but I've never used it, I use a straight edge or dial indicator (I sold that dial indicator timing kit to a member maybe he will rent it out if you need it)

After you have the cams alligned you are all set to put it back together. Remember to always turn the motor over in a clockwise rotation so there is no chain slack.

Hope this helps, John S

Black318ti1009 05-12-2015 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 373223)
What year M42 or M44? Should be able to TDC number 1 piston then allign the two camshaft end blocks. There is a tool to lock the cams in place but I've never used it, I use a straight edge or dial indicator (I sold that dial indicator timing kit to a member maybe he will rent it out if you need it)

After you have the cams alligned you are all set to put it back together. Remember to always turn the motor over in a clockwise rotation so there is no chain slack.

Hope this helps, John S

Its a M44 engine. So I just need to alligned the cams? It doesnt matter how the timing chain goes back on :confused:

Thanks for helping me out I appreciate it :wink:

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-12-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black318ti1009 (Post 373225)
Its a M44 engine. So I just need to alligned the cams? It doesnt matter how the timing chain goes back on :confused:

Thanks for helping me out I appreciate it :wink:

Chain doesn't care where it is just TDC #1 piston and then allign the blocks on the back of the cams and tighten down the cam nuts. Ensure you always crank in a clockwise rotation so there is no chain slack and the chain tentioner is happy.

John S

Black318ti1009 05-12-2015 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 373227)
Chain doesn't care where it is just TDC #1 piston and then allign the blocks on the back of the cams and tighten down the cam nuts. Ensure you always crank in a clockwise rotation so there is no chain slack and the chain tentioner is happy.

John S

Awesome! :cool: Then I'm going to get the timing tool so I can have the car back on the road!! I thought my car was screwed since the timing chain was removed with out getting marked :frown:

camcraft 05-15-2015 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black318ti1009 (Post 373210)

ok here is the quick answer for setting timing on any of these 1.9l engines
first locate cylinder #1 (its the one in the front of the engine & usually holds similar stroke position to cyl #4 easy to mix them up) pull your spark plug in that cylinder and put a dowel or long screwdriver in the hole use this as a guide to set the stroke position of the crank to top of the cylinder stroke (as far up as it will go in the crank rotation) then disconnect your cam gears at the back of the cams are a pair of dot holes align them straight up on both sides (someone said a level i have the tool but have done it by brail method and line of sight, dont mess this one up or you bend your valves) once aligned reattach your cam gears and timing chain your timing is set !

Black318ti1009 05-17-2015 06:54 PM

Thanks for the info!
One more question I bought the locking tool for the cams but doesn't fit. To turn the camshaft do I just use an open head wrench to turn them so they can fit into the locking tool?

Black318ti1009 05-18-2015 08:14 AM

bump

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-20-2015 10:31 PM

Cams locking nuts lose use a open end to allign cam allignment blocks on back of cam into tool. You should only need a tiny bump either way to allign the cams in the tool. If it is way off you got another issue and you need to stop and figure it out before you bend a valve.

John S

Black318ti1009 05-23-2015 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 373460)
Cams locking nuts lose use a open end to allign cam allignment blocks on back of cam into tool. You should only need a tiny bump either way to allign the cams in the tool. If it is way off you got another issue and you need to stop and figure it out before you bend a valve.

John S

Okay thanks! So I have the cams aligned and the engine at TDC :cool: and you said it doesn't matter how the timing chain goes on right?

Because I just put the timing chain back on. So am I ready to fire up my engine? :biggrin:

Black318ti1009 05-28-2015 07:50 AM

Bump

xxxJohnBoyxxx 05-28-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black318ti1009 (Post 373517)
Okay thanks! So I have the cams aligned and the engine at TDC :cool: and you said it doesn't matter how the timing chain goes on right?

Because I just put the timing chain back on. So am I ready to fire up my engine? :biggrin:

At this point your cams should be degreed to factory stock setting. Put it all back together and it should run fine.