318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Water Wetter. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=14731)

bullmand 03-07-2007 05:34 PM

Water Wetter.

For anyone who is curious as to how well this stuff works, I have some real numbers. Since I have my ScanGauge set to show me the water temps, I figured I'd throw a bottle in and see what it did. The answer is effectively nothing. The claims they make on the bottle indicate that you won't see much temperature difference in a 50% coolant / 50% water mix and I'm here to tell you it's the truth. In the temps we've been having here lately (30s to 50s), the water temp never really gets over 202 while the car is moving. After adding the Water Wetter it still gets to 202 but it does tend to hover more around 200. So two degrees difference when you're moving. It doesn't seem to help much when the car is stationary.

At $9 per bottle, I don't think it's worth it unless you're running straight water. I can't do that in my climate, so in the future I won't be using the Water Wetter. Perhaps 50/50 mix of this and distilled water would work quite well, but it doesn't provide any antifreeze protection. It is supposed to provide some lubrication and anti-corrosion protection over plain water. Anyway, just thought you would be interested.

DustenT 03-07-2007 05:53 PM

Thanks for the report on this. I have always wondered if it was worth the $10/bottle.

Panzer_M 03-07-2007 06:58 PM

it's 5$ a bottle here in Fl....the Fuel System Cleaner is 8.95-10.00 depending on where you get it...I've never looked at the price of thier Diesel cleaner.

Does their Fuel System Cleaner work? It seems to be good for a injector cleaner..and I feel alittle better using it vs some of the other bottles out there in the cleaner aisle.

Since Cleaners range from 3.00-20.00depending on brand/type Redline is a mid-price range product..not the cheapest like STP or Gumout nor the most expensive like Slick50

bullmand 03-07-2007 08:06 PM

I do use the fuel system cleaner on a fairly regular basis. It's hard to say if it works any better than any of the others. I've always just heard that it or the Techron was the way to go. I also try to use Top Tier gasoline. It's probably just marketing BS but there's a Shell right by my house.

marko 03-07-2007 08:17 PM

FI cleaner

I would be thrilled to find out if the FI cleaners work, myself... I use Chevron Techron every oil change cause I heard good things about it (and at this point mostly due to sheer habit), but they were never confirmed... anyway, that would be great if someone can find out if those things really work.

oh, yeah.. & I only use Shell gas, mostly cause Michael Schumacher did too! HAHAHAHA!! Joke. LOL

Panzer_M 03-07-2007 09:05 PM

I used Mobil, BP, and Shell..sometimes rarely Sunoco(Choice of Nascar!)

Shaggy 03-07-2007 09:33 PM

Do the different brand gases make any difference?

aceyx 03-07-2007 10:24 PM

Water wetter isn't designed to lower operating temperature--that's not actually something you'd want anyway.

It works (quite well, I might add), but for its intended purpose.

Philly 03-07-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaggy (Post 109723)
Do the different brand gases make any difference?

Not at all...
most, if not all the gas comes from the same refineries.. and companys like shell,sunoco,etc. just add maybe 1/2L or 1.L of additives to mix among the tens of thousands of litres of fuel and then they call it their own.

Shaggy 03-08-2007 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwd_king (Post 109746)
Not at all...
most, if not all the gas comes from the same refineries.. and companys like shell,sunoco,etc. just add maybe 1/2L or 1.L of additives to mix among the tens of thousands of litres of fuel and then they call it their own.

I see, thanks for clearing that up for me.

mohaughn 03-08-2007 12:20 AM

I'd really like to meet Gustave one day. He seems to know quit a bit about performance BMW's.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/mo...ter_wetter.htm

"First we must dispel a common misconception: "Water Wetter" is not designed to lower your car's bulk coolant temperature. So if you put it in your E30 M3 hoping to see lower operational coolant temp's, then you will probably be disappointed.

"Water Wetter" is designed to reduce hot spots in your cylinder head. It does this by reducing the build-up of water vapor in any superheated areas."

"An additional benefit of using "Water Wetter" (in conjunction with 100% water) in you cooling system is that water has an extremely high heat capacity. Thus a gallon of 100% water can carry more heat away from you engine than an equivalent gallon of 50/50 water and coolant. Water also has a high thermal conductivity which increases the convection of heat away from the coolant passage walls and into the free stream of the liquid flowing through the passages."

When I flush my radiator this summer I'm going to go with 100% distilled water and a thing of water wetter.

Shaggy 03-08-2007 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mohaughn (Post 109765)
I'd really like to meet Gustave one day. He seems to know quit a bit about performance BMW's.

http://e30m3performance.com/myths/mo...ter_wetter.htm

"First we must dispel a common misconception: "Water Wetter" is not designed to lower your car's bulk coolant temperature. So if you put it in your E30 M3 hoping to see lower operational coolant temp's, then you will probably be disappointed.

"Water Wetter" is designed to reduce hot spots in your cylinder head. It does this by reducing the build-up of water vapor in any superheated areas."

"An additional benefit of using "Water Wetter" (in conjunction with 100% water) in you cooling system is that water has an extremely high heat capacity. Thus a gallon of 100% water can carry more heat away from you engine than an equivalent gallon of 50/50 water and coolant. Water also has a high thermal conductivity which increases the convection of heat away from the coolant passage walls and into the free stream of the liquid flowing through the passages."

When I flush my radiator this summer I'm going to go with 100% distilled water and a thing of water wetter.

Sounds like a good plan...I might actually think about doing that myself. After all we both live in Florida and its not like it gets cold enough in the winter for the water to freeze.

BobbyDigital 03-08-2007 01:40 AM

But its cold enough for these though huh? Sheepskin seat covers(winter only)

bullmand 03-08-2007 01:48 AM

Their website says this:

DYNO TEST RESULTS
Dynomometer tests performed by Malcolm Garrett Racing Engines showed significant improvements in coolant temperatures using WaterWetter®. These
tests were performed with a Chevrolet 350 V-8 with a cast iron block and aluminum cylinder heads. The thermostat temperature was 160°F. The engine operated at 7200 rpm for three hours and the stabilized cooling system temperature was recorded and tabulated below:
Cooling System Fluid Stabilized Temperature

50% Glycol/ 50% Water 228°F

50/50 with WaterWetter® 220°F

Water 220°F

Water with WaterWetter® 202°F

These numbers are similar to the temperatures recorded in track use and heavy-duty street use.

I have not observed an 8 degree decrease in coolant temperature in my 50% coolant/50% water mixture. I understand that the effect is greater when you're running straight water. My Spec E30 will have water and WaterWetter in it. My point was that this may not be the most effective use of $9 in a daily driver.

bullmand 03-08-2007 01:53 AM

You hot climate folks should make a note of this before you switch to straight water. I just found it on the Red Line site.

Even in summertime the use of air-conditioning can blow freezing air through the heater and cause freezing of the heater core unless approximately 20%
antifreeze is used.