318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Car just died on me tonight... (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37467)

wolferj-RIP 11-21-2012 05:52 AM

Car just died on me tonight...

I was simply driving along the freeway this evening on my way home, and the ti just died... No warning, no nothing... Just stopped running. I had just enough momentum to dive over to the right shoulder to get out of rush hour traffic.

Had a pair of Repo drivers stop to check on me, and offered to tow me home. Worked out perfect, as they charged me less than a standard tow would have been for cash (over 20 miles) and they were a kick to B.S. with as we rode home, telling repo stories and talking cars...

Anyway;

Car didn't overheat, there was no hesitation or stuttering, has plenty of fuel in the tank, there was no warning or symptoms ahead of time, just stopped running... It acts like there is no fuel when I try and restart it. Engine cranks over, tries to start, but just won't stay running...

I hate this kind of thing... Grrrr...

Don't have a code reader here at home, don't have time to diagnose the problem until Friday, then I'm going to have to drag it over to my buddies shop to figure out the problem...

3.2TI 11-21-2012 02:35 PM

Fuel pump, fuse or relay?

Had this happen to me in my 96, left me in the center lane in rush hour in the highway. Held the steering wheel as it was going to be my cushion if i get hit. Traffic camera caught me like a sitting duck and sent a trooper to tell me off and curse at me for being broke down ans scared. He ended up ordering a road hazard truck push me out the way.

It started like a hiccup and seconds later done.

cooljess76 11-22-2012 12:01 AM

I agree on checking the fuses, relays and fuel pump first. Anything else would've gave you some sort of warning sign.

teetime4one 11-22-2012 02:26 AM

That sucks James. Hope to hear that ya fix it in a jiffy.

wolferj-RIP 11-22-2012 02:30 AM

Thanks, guys... Further note is that the car didn't throw a CEL prior to dying. My first order of business will be to check fuses, relays, then fuel pump...

3.2TI 11-22-2012 02:50 AM

You should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on on second key turn.

wolferj-RIP 11-23-2012 09:16 PM

I have never heard the fuel pump running. IIRC, the pump doesn't actually run until you start cranking the engine.

Anyway, fuses are fine. Relays seem to be fine. On to test the pump itself...

wolferj-RIP 11-24-2012 02:34 AM

Well, can't seem to test the pump properly, I seem to have lost my skills in electrical testing... Help!

On a side note, I do have gas in the fuel rail, so I'm not sure that fuel is the problem. I pulled out and visually checked the DME, it looks fine, no water in the little DME storage bay either..

running out of simple checks for this.

98318ti 11-24-2012 02:48 AM

Keep going down the list. FAST=Fuel, Air, Spark, Timing.

3.2TI 11-24-2012 02:51 AM

this should get you started.

wolferj-RIP 11-25-2012 07:33 PM

Thanks for the vid links... but no luck.

Either I can't properly work a multi-meter or I'm not getting power to the pump. I jumper'ed the power at the fuse box/relay box location like the vid showed, but no power. I can determine that there is continuity on the ground line, but can't get any readings on the power side.

So I am still stuck not knowing whether or not the pump is working. I don't want to just drop $200 on a new pump assembly unless I am more certain that's the issue.

wolferj-RIP 11-25-2012 10:00 PM

I can confirm that there is no power at the pump even when the relay is bypassed and direct power supplied to the circuit.

I suspect that there is a short or break in the power wire to the pump. I cannot come to any other conclusion.

EDIT;

I also tried 12v power directly to the pump, nothing...

1. Bad pump
2. No power to the pump
3.???

3.2TI 11-26-2012 03:13 AM

I would aim towards the pump. ECS has them for real cheap.

wolferj-RIP 11-28-2012 05:10 AM

Last update before I give up...

New pump, not the problem. Still no start...

3.2TI 11-28-2012 12:24 PM

I am sorry to hear this..Have you had your alternator, battery and cables checked?
Do you have lights, does engine or starter spin?