318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What did you do to your car today? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29073)

cooljess76 10-23-2010 06:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a package today too! Well I had to drive down to LA to pick it up, but it's still a package none the less. Before you guys trip on the brand, I already know what happened to a member a few months ago. The company I bought this from assured me that if fitment isn't absolutely perfect, they'll gladly swap it out for a VIS no questions asked. Couldn't pass up the deal, they knocked a couple hundred bucks off the price for a cash pick-up!

Jean H.318TI 10-23-2010 06:16 AM

what is that? i cant tell from the pic.

cooljess76 10-23-2010 06:16 AM

new hood:wink:

Jean H.318TI 10-23-2010 06:25 AM

looks weird from the pic

cooljess76 10-23-2010 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jean H.318TI (Post 283701)
looks weird from the pic

It's standing up on it's side in the pic, I just pulled the foam down halfway to show the glossy carbon weave. Prolly gonna get it painted when I respray the car. Figured you'd recognize the box, thought you had a Seibon hood.

BMW_Hatchback 10-23-2010 07:45 AM

siick Jess

cooljess76 10-23-2010 08:10 AM

Thanks Ced, engines going in this week. Once it's in, I gotta redo the timing one last time:redface:

I almost bought a hood from Versus Motorsport. They had e36 4dr carbon hoods listed on craigslist for $250, but when I called them they said they were out of stock and had to make one. Said they'd make one in-house and sell it to me for $280 plus tax. I was a little skeptical about a no-name body part, so I shopped around and found this place that sells Seibon and VIS hoods at awesome prices.

My first Seibon hood fit good, but it was old and cracking since it sat on the side of Lazoh's house for a few years. I sold that one to Bobbak for dirt cheap, I think 100 bucks or something. Then a member had a problem with a defective Seibon hood and got the runaround. Thought it was a pretty crappy deal and I was hesitant to buy another Seibon product since they screwed a member over, but figured since I could actually drive down to the warehouse and inspect it before handing over the cash, it was worth a shot. The guys at this shop were pretty cool.

They said if it doesn't fit perfectly, they'll swap it out with a VIS or another Seibon hood with no hassles so I jumped on it. The company is JTRSport, Inc and they're out of Walnut, CA if anyone in SoCal is interested. They don't have a storefront as they sell their products on ebay. Ebay price is $544 + $75 s/h + CA tax, but if you pick it up with cash in hand, they'll give you a VERY healthy discount:wink:

BMW_Hatchback 10-23-2010 08:18 AM

that is awesome Jess, just another reason why I wish Socal was within my reach. I'm excited about the motor going in and I know the timing has been nagging you since you made that tool. I know you'll get it in with ease ;)

/thats what she said

cooljess76 10-23-2010 10:42 AM

I forgot to mention the same seller is selling VIS hoods for only $355 on ebay, not sure what they'd let them go for if you showed up with cash. Probably not as much of of a discount compared to the Seibon hoods since they charge $150 to ship the VIS and $75 to ship the Seibon. Obviously they're factoring some of the profit on the VIS hoods in with the shipping. I will say that the Seibon looks like a much higher quality than the VIS though. The VIS hoods looked a little rough and unfinished on the bottom compared to the Seibon hoods. The tops however looked the same. IMO the Seibon is worth the extra money.

vsonix 10-23-2010 11:35 PM

ordered a second-hand electrochromic mirror off fleabay for a retrofit.

Jean H.318TI 10-24-2010 03:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 283705)
It's standing up on it's side in the pic, I just pulled the foam down halfway to show the glossy carbon weave. Prolly gonna get it painted when I respray the car. Figured you'd recognize the box, thought you had a Seibon hood.

i do but it didnt look like a hood from the pic lol but anyways thats sick dude, i guess is the OEM style right

vsonix 10-25-2010 06:52 PM

new rear trailing arm bushings, new steering ball joint thingy, headlamp realignment, new rear yellow indicator bulbs, cleaning the condensation out of the left clear corner, replaced HVAC instrumentation bulb, replaced speedo/tach bulb, re-aligned front bumper, fitted electrochromic mirror :)

BimmerBum 10-25-2010 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 283696)
I got a package today too! Well I had to drive down to LA to pick it up, but it's still a package none the less. Before you guys trip on the brand, I already know what happened to a member a few months ago. The company I bought this from assured me that if fitment isn't absolutely perfect, they'll gladly swap it out for a VIS no questions asked. Couldn't pass up the deal, they knocked a couple hundred bucks off the price for a cash pick-up!

Nice!

What is the weight difference between the CF hood and the stock hood?

cooljess76 10-25-2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BimmerBum (Post 283940)
Nice!

What is the weight difference between the CF hood and the stock hood?

I wish I had a stock hood to campare it to. Unfortunately, I swapped my '97's original hood onto my old clubsport before I sold it. The clubsport's hood was oxidized and peeling, so I figured since the '97's was the same color and in good shape, I'd throw it on the clubby to make it look nicer. Then when the guy came to pick it up, he decided that he wanted the hood with the matching VIN#. Never got my old hood back:rolleyes:

BimmerBum 10-25-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 283943)
I wish I had a stock hood to campare it to. Unfortunately, I swapped my '97's original hood onto my old clubsport before I sold it. The clubsport's hood was oxidized and peeling, so I figured since the '97's was the same color and in good shape, I'd throw it on the clubby to make it look nicer. Then when the guy came to pick it up, he decided that he wanted the hood with the matching VIN#. Never got my old hood back:rolleyes:

I can weigh my stock one eventually if you want to weigh the CF hood you have.