318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   I'm thinking about buying a ti. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Stock E36 Questions (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=29327)

indiejack 01-27-2010 06:10 AM

Stock E36 Questions

I used to own an E30 325e years ago and loved it, now I'm behind the wheel of a 1995 318ti and had a couple of seriously n00b questions (it's been years so hopefully I'm entitled to these questions). I did a few searches but no real luck on precisely what I was looking for.
  • First off, annoying rattle in the exhaust at ~2500rpm, usually this is a heat shield in most catalytic converters, I got the car up on my ramps and was unable to find the offending piece so I'm planning to swap it out with a less restrictive converter but was wondering about the stock diameter of the exhaust.
  • Also, my 318 is red, I see the term Hellrot all over this site and think that's the terminology for the colour correct?
  • I see a few short rams on eBay for our cars, anybody have any issues with the piping on these, I plan on purchasing one with an actual K&N brand filter because my previous vehicles have always had decent results with them.
  • On the stock M42's intake manifold, what is the inlet size (in case I would rather try my skills at fashioning my own cold air over the short rams I see online, I do have some bending and welding skills).
  • Is anyone else running the 10-spoke (I believe they're called 27's?) 15" alloys on a lowered TI?

For the sizing questions I can address myself but just had the thought fresh in my mind. So far I like the ride a lot, it's got enough pep for now but a little extra may satisfy me until I make a decision on building the m42 for forced induction or going with a 6cyl swap.

roadrash 01-27-2010 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indiejack (Post 259001)
Also, my 318 is red, I see the term Hellrot all over this site and think that's the terminology for the colour correct?

Yes, "hellrot" is "red." I think that's German for "hell red."

Quote:

Originally Posted by indiejack (Post 259001)
I see a few short rams on eBay for our cars, anybody have any issues with the piping on these, I plan on purchasing one with an actual K&N brand filter because my previous vehicles have always had decent results with them.

Hydrolock is a common concern when using a "cold air intake" or "CAI." You should find some info here if you search for hydrolock and CAI.

Welcome to the site!

hatchgrafix 01-27-2010 07:33 AM

Well I can't off the top of my head answer any questions for you... I do however own 2 - 95 318ti's and would be willing to help you with parts in any event you need them.

If you replace the air box for a cone filter style, you will need to buy the adapter for the Mass Airflow Sensor.

It bolts to the MAF and has a 2 or 2.5" inlet pipe for clamping on a K&N. Pictured below. That should get you in the right direction anyways! I'd sell you mine, just not sure of it's condition at this point. Not to mention it's so cheap already to get new.

http://www.autogrimmig.com/media/00/...6bf662f9_m.jpg

Good Luck, and I hope you love the car!

tiFreak 01-27-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatchgrafix (Post 259013)
It bolts to the MAF and has a 2 or 2.5" inlet pipe for clamping on a K&N. Pictured below. That should get you in the right direction anyways! I'd sell you mine, just not sure of it's condition at this point. Not to mention it's so cheap already to get new.

cosmoracing.com sells one with a 3" pipe

the exhaust is 2.25" I believe, you could always just measure the tailpipe though

are you worried about fender clearance when you lower the car? the stock rims have a very non-aggressive offset so they will clear no problems

indiejack 01-27-2010 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiFreak (Post 259020)
are you worried about fender clearance when you lower the car? the stock rims have a very non-aggressive offset so they will clear no problems

No concerns on fender clearance, if anything I'd be looking into H&R's Hub Centric spacers. My question was more about liking the look of these wheels and wanted to see some 318's dropped on some.

6speed ti 01-27-2010 03:11 PM

The exhaust pipe size changes. I just did a temp fix on my ti. I have a 97 with a 10/96 build date. I can not guarantee that my ti and a 95 have similar exhaust. The diameter on the intake side of the Resonator is larger than the outlet side. It is in metric. If I recall correctly it is just under 2.25" and slightly more than 2.125" at the outlet of the resonator. I used a pipe spreader to expand the smaller size when I installed a pipe in place of the resonator. The pipe is a 2.25" outside diameter. I have a replacement exhaust coming today and will install it on my next day off from work. I will try to update this info when I yank out my current exhaust (Super Sprint) if you need more info.
Direct bolt on is better than custom. Custom comes at a price. Direct bolt on can be expensive so shop around. I will be replacing my exhaust with an ANSA Sport. I got it for $303 shipping included. Super Sprint is good but they have gotten really expensive and no longer manufacture the single tip exhaust. I do not want to butcher up my valence. ANSA seems to be the best for now.

J!m 01-27-2010 04:35 PM

• Exhaust rattle is probably the cat as you thought.
  • Quote:

Originally Posted by roadrash (Post 259010)
    Yes, "hellrot" is "red." I think that's German for "hell red."

Well, the red part is correct. hell is bright or light. In this use, "Bright Red"

Not a speaker; just know enough to be dangerous (and fix these cars). I work with a lot of Germans and Swiss at my paying job, so I can get stuff translated by native speakers, which is way better than babblefish...:rolleyes:
  • Not a fan of K&N filters, since they don't filter very well. Just stick with a paper filter and change it often. Search "Fogging" the airbox and do that in stead.
  • As to the wheels, in the BMW catalogues they state diameter and offset for each style. If a style you see on a lowered car has the same size and offset as one you consider using, you are all set.
Enjoy it! These are great little cars.

roadrash 01-27-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J!m (Post 259044)
can get stuff translated by native speakers, which is way better than babblefish...:rolleyes:

I didn't even go to the trouble of using babelfish... I just "assumed" because it seemed so obvious. It figures that I'd be wrong the one time I answer a question without researching it. LOL

J!m 01-27-2010 07:04 PM

No problem. We all speak English here and can't be expected to know all these details...

I only know it because I asked the question in about '99 or so when I started working down here. (My boss at the time was East German)

dave45056 01-27-2010 10:39 PM

If you look on your drivers side front shock tower there will be a sticker on there that has the color of your car on it.
As for your rattle, you can try removing the heat sheild on the cat. Yes it can be dangerous if you drive your car in dry grassy fieilds in Iowa as it can cause a grass fire, but who does that anyway? Best bet is to take it to a muffler shop and have them troubleshoot it for you. They helped me with a rattle for free. While it's in the air, you can have them measure it for you.

A lot of people on here say aftermarket cats don't work on our cars for long. And a new cat is over $1000. So don't even hint to a muffler shop about needing a new cat.

Lastly, check out realoem.com if you haven't already.

tiFreak 01-28-2010 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave45056 (Post 259081)
A lot of people on here say aftermarket cats don't work on our cars for long. And a new cat is over $1000. So don't even hint to a muffler shop about needing a new cat.

a 95 ti is OBDI, which means it doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor, you could straight-pipe the cat and have no check engine light

dave45056 01-28-2010 05:06 PM

Even though removing the cat won't give a CEL on OBD1 cars, it's illegal in most states to do that.
Besides, why polute more than you have to especially if the cat is basically ok?

indiejack 01-28-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave45056 (Post 259081)
As for your rattle, you can try removing the heat sheild on the cat.

I looked under the car a couple months back when I put it up on some ramps and didn't see a clear way to remove the heat shield, but yes I'd do that first off just to stop the annoying rattle, anybody have a tip on heat shield removal?

Also, thank you all kindly for the answers thus far, some helpful insight has been achieved!

tiFreak 01-28-2010 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dave45056 (Post 259161)
Even though removing the cat won't give a CEL on OBD1 cars, it's illegal in most states to do that.
Besides, why polute more than you have to especially if the cat is basically ok?

I was providing an extreme example, wasn't saying he should do that ;)

dave45056 02-01-2010 03:02 AM

The cat cover does not unbolt from the cat. IIRC the muffler shop used a crowbar to peel it off. Took them 15 seconds.