318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine Swaps (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   EVERYTHING needed for a swap (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7676)

Silver00spike 11-24-2005 01:26 AM

EVERYTHING needed for a swap

s52 swap OBD2 to OBD2

m3 components needed
-engine ~5000
-cluster ~250
-radiator ~150
-80c thermostat
-ecu, and complete (matching to engine, and transmission )wiring harness ~250 or included
-EWS(security system) to be aligned by dealership ~100
-Custom Intake ~100+
-Complete m3 exhaust up to muffler, which does not fit ~300
-e46 330 OEM or aftermarket muffler, or custom muffler that fits (magnaflow) ~150+

optional but recommended
-transmission ~450
-m3 clutch and flywheel ~100 or included
-mcoupe or mroadster LSD differential ~500
-matching driveshaft to differential ~150
-front m3 brakes, preferably with complete front brakes ~700
-17" + wheels to clear m3 brakes, if you went this route. Preferably wider then 8"
-m3 alternator ~75
-

Please feel free to add, I might have left something out. I got tired of people asking, and us telling to search, when there is no definative thread

According Dredder, but make sure your number of bolts match 6 or 4 on both ends:
1. 318ti tranny use 318ti driveshaft
2. m3 tranny uses m3 drive shaft
3. Mroadster tranny use mroadster driveshaft.

Total required labor should be around $2500, or $3500 with all optional installed

A wheel tire combo that does NOT give enough traction after this mod is 17X7.5" with Yokohama es100 tires 215 wide. First and second gear can lose traction. 17x9" wheels with 255-40-17 performance tires does fit all around, with 15mm spacers up front, and fender rolling in rear. This provides good dry traction.

Silver00spike 11-24-2005 07:23 AM

EWS -what I've learned

there are 3 points with EWS, each has a code which must match the other 2. Otherwise car won't start.

-key
-ews box, located under glove box, about 4" by 2" by 3"
-computer, ecu

The best route is to go to the dealership, BEFORE trying to crank it, or even messing with it.

I found that having people try to line up the EWS with inferior tools more then 1 time causes permanent damage to the ews box, which then no longer can be aligned. Then your new route is to get a key, ignition lock, ews box, and ecu, from a working and running car ~$450

Dredder 11-24-2005 12:37 PM

another option is get EWS delete chip from AA/TMS/Etc.

Additional parts needed/option;
80C thermostat
water wetter fluid
Make sure the wiring harness is for the same ///M motor & same year, (thier are atleast 4 different wiring harness). If you try to install an Auto harness to Manual car, you're going to have a headache.

Silver00spike 11-24-2005 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredder
another option is get EWS delete chip from AA/TMS/Etc.

Additional parts needed/option;
80C thermostat
water wetter fluid
Make sure the wiring harness is for the same ///M motor & same year, (thier are atleast 4 different wiring harness). If you try to install an Auto harness to Manual car, you're going to have a headache.

You can't get a chip for an OBD2 setup. Water wetter fluid is for fan delete riught?

cali-ti 11-24-2005 10:00 PM

water wetter can be used anywhere, it just lowers the overall temp from what i understand. basic cooling system protection.

96cali 11-25-2005 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver00spike
I got tired of people asking, and us telling to search, when there is no definative thread.

Halleljah my brother!

and thank you.:smile:

andrei 11-25-2005 03:24 PM

But what if I whant to swap to an m50 engine? What are all the parts that I need? All I know is that I only need the engine , wireing harnes and all the engine electronics,cluster and 325 front brakes(preferebly e46 330 brakes) and I can use my curent gear box, drive shaft, diff and front m-tehnik suspention (wich I just changed a week ago).

cali-ti 11-25-2005 03:37 PM

one thing i was never sure on ... what driveshafts work with which combinations of transmissions/differentials? for example, what driveshaft works in the following situations:

1) original transmission and differential
---> original ti driveshaft

2) M3 transmission, ti differential
---> ?

3) M3 transmission, MZ3 or M-Coupe differential
---> ?

i'm guessing those are the general situations people find themselves in.

Silver00spike 11-25-2005 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cali-ti
one thing i was never sure on ... what driveshafts work with which combinations of transmissions/differentials? for example, what driveshaft works in the following situations:

1) original transmission and differential
---> original ti driveshaft

2) M3 transmission, ti differential
---> ?

3) M3 transmission, MZ3 or M-Coupe differential
---> ?

i'm guessing those are the general situations people find themselves in.

I wish I could help you with this, or the guy with the m50 swap, but I'm just speaking from experience. I'm using the e36 m3 driveshaft, but it was machined to fit the differential. Reason being one is 4 bolts, the other is 6.

What you need to do it find a driveshaft that has the same number of bolts as your differential's flange(connection point)

Dredder 11-26-2005 10:47 PM

Heres my response in regards to the driveshaft question.

2. m3 tranny use m3 drive shaft

I bought J!M swap manual and from my recollection those were his instructions.

cali-ti 11-26-2005 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dredder
Heres my response in regards to the driveshaft question.

2. m3 tranny use m3 drive shaft

I bought J!M swap manual and from my recollection those were his instructions.

cool. are the LENGTHS of all the driveshafts what they need to be? that's one thing i wasn't sure about. i understand silver00spikes's comments regarding the bolt pattern at the diff end of the driveshaft, just wasn't positive on the lengths of the driveshafts. are the mroadster trans and the m3 trans any different? from what silver00spike said on the diff, the front mount is different between the m3 (6-bolt) and the m-roadster (4-bolt), but i would be surprised to learn that the transmissions are different. again, from what i recollect, the m3 trans is LONGER than the ti trans (and therefore the 325/328 trans as well), right?

keep in mind, i'm just trying to clarify this to the best of all our understandings for those who wish to do it in the future, i'm not actually going to do it myself :) this is certainly a much discussed topic and i applaud silver00spike for starting this thead!

Dredder 11-28-2005 02:18 AM

325 and 318ti uses the getrag tranny while
328 and m3 uses ZF tranny

Silver00spike 11-29-2005 07:35 AM

I would say you DEFINATELY need a stronger diff, cause I broke my old one with just a blower and some canny shifting

AlaskaBlue 11-29-2005 09:05 PM

Could someone post up what is needed for the OBD-I to OBD-I S50 swap? I heard there were a few differences, and the M42-S50 was a little easier/cheaper. The swap is looking better everyday:rolleyes: cough KO major let down dissapointment scam cough. Now that I am working as a classical guitar instructor at a music academy I may be able to do it in a year or something.

Dredder 11-30-2005 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlaskaBlue
Could someone post up what is needed for the OBD-I to OBD-I S50 swap? I heard there were a few differences, and the M42-S50 was a little easier/cheaper. The swap is looking better everyday:rolleyes: cough KO major let down dissapointment scam cough. Now that I am working as a classical guitar instructor at a music academy I may be able to do it in a year or something.

You are right the S50 OBD1 to OBD1 is the simplest of all swap. That is what i have in my car. Word of advice when you get a donor make sure you also get the same wiring harness from the car. You are going to pull on your hair trying to figure out the whole mess. Everything is a direct bolt in