318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Possible issue after thermostat change (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=39364)

Bobtail_Bimmer 10-28-2013 06:30 PM

Possible issue after thermostat change

Hey guys got a quick question. I have read through about 20 posts and not found an answer. I changed my thermostat on Saturday since my car was not blowing heat but warming up as it should. I bled the system, ran it and bled it again on Sunday and everything has been fine. Coolants at proper level, no leaks, etc.

Coming to work this morning I noticed that the temp needle was rising pretty fast but never went past middle. Stops about a millimeter to the left like it always has. Car was blowing heat but still not as good as it used to. I pulled in to a gas station and tried to bleed some more but no bubbles. I cut the heat off and waited and felt the lower hose and it was getting hot where the coolant was passing through so I know my new thermostat was opening and closeing as it should. I bought a failsafe just to be safe!

As I was leaving to go to lunch I didnt even make it out of the parking lot and the needle started to move. Went roughly less than a quater mile and it was almost at half way point. Came back to work and let my car run while a watched the needle. It never went past middle and stopped at its normal point. Tried beeding but this time was on level ground and got nothing but coolant. The top hose was hot! I shut the car off, ate my lunch and here i am.

I am wondering if it sounds like there are still possible air bubbles that I havnt bled yet or if it could be something else? Your help is much appreciated!!!

1996 328ti 10-28-2013 07:23 PM

Depending on the ambient temperature, it sounds like your need is moving pretty fast but it's not overheating.

Other common problem is a loose bowden cable on the heat control.

Bobtail_Bimmer 10-28-2013 07:44 PM

The ambiant temp is 60-62°F. My temp needle rose what I considered to be average before the thermostat change. It just wouldnt blow any heat. The old thermo was locked open. Changed it, bled it, now this. This morning it was 37°F and it did the same so ambiant temp is not a factor.

1996 328ti 10-28-2013 07:49 PM

My gauge takes awhile to get to normal.

Bobtail_Bimmer 10-28-2013 08:56 PM

Anyone else? Any thoughts?

mampakiki 12-13-2014 01:21 AM

Your heater core needs to be blown out. I hope you have gotten that done by now.

jca 12-17-2014 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mampakiki (Post 368846)
Your heater core needs to be blown out. I hope you have gotten that done by now.

How is that done? John

BRADESTAR 12-17-2014 07:57 AM

Sounds to me like you have proper coolant and temp levels. You have a blockage in the system around the heater core.

I had good luck unbolting the cooling system bolt on the engine block and draining fluid from there. When I took the bolt off no coolant. I jabbed a coat hanger in there and some crud/coolant came out. After that I had heat in the cab. So if you were just draining at the radiator I'd try the block.

mampakiki 12-19-2014 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jca (Post 368962)
How is that done? John

Disconnect the hoses going into the fire wall for the heater core. Use an air compressor to blow the water back through the core the opposite direction from normal flow. I believe the top hose is into the heater core and the bottom hose is back to the engine.

BlackBMWs 01-31-2015 06:48 AM

Curious on the fix here. Was it the cooling system or was the Bowden cable loose/disconnected? Mine was the Bowden cable. :cool: