318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Intermittent lose of power under load (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37946)

Aquacleaner 02-12-2013 04:46 PM

Intermittent lose of power under load

Recently purchased a 98 318ti with 170k. Love the handling n ride but having a problem that pudding me off

When I accelerate I random will get a loss of power. Actually the car will buck, jolt. I have done wires, plugs and coil pack

None have made car better

I do get a code for cam position sensor n have read stuff on here but from what I've read not sure my symptoms match that which have been described

Any help would be greatly appreciated

JMD

bmwconnect 02-12-2013 04:59 PM

Cam Sensor will defiantly cause that problem. Fuel pressure or dying fuel pump will too :)

Aquacleaner 02-12-2013 05:16 PM

Thanks

Appreciate it.
I should have started my post by saying hello to all those on this forum

Every time I have done a search on a question on google it seems answers and help ate found here

I very thankful that you guys are here sharing information

As somebody who is not very mechanically inclined I have become good at gathering info then finding qualified people to perform the work

Again my thanks

bmwconnect 02-12-2013 05:33 PM

Good luck! :)

Aquacleaner 02-12-2013 05:49 PM

Funny you said fuel

I was thinking of checking the fuel filter as I have no idea when it was changed. Good preventative maintenance anyway

Aquacleaner 02-12-2013 07:31 PM

I forgot to add this to the equation. When ili hook up scanner n turn ignition I come up with cps code. After is erase n run car, car doesn't get code (only got 30 miles b4 turning off) n car still runs with problem. That does tell u anything?

zoner 02-12-2013 07:32 PM

Changing the fuel filter is probably a good idea, especially since you don't know when, or even if, it has ever been changed but because you are getting an actual code for the Cam Position Sensor, the CPS would be the likely culprit.

Just make sure you get an OEM sensor- apparently, our cars do not always like aftermarket sensors.

zoner 02-12-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aquacleaner (Post 345181)
I forgot to add this to the equation. When ili hook up scanner n turn ignition I come up with cps code. After is erase n run car, car doesn't get code (only got 30 miles b4 turning off) n car still runs with problem. That does tell u anything?

Does the code eventually come back after driving around for a day or two? I would think that if the problem is still there after clearing the codes, and if the problem was the CPS, the code would come back rather quickly. Hmm...

Aquacleaner 02-12-2013 08:14 PM

Code comes back as soon as I re start car second time. Only drove 30 mikes during trip so don't know how long I could drive straight b4 car codes again. Got factory sensor thanks to you guys in prior posts. Guess ill see tomorrow when work is done

e28forever 02-12-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwconnect (Post 345171)
Cam Sensor will defiantly cause that problem. Fuel pressure or dying fuel pump will too :)

its definately the cam sensor, my ti did the same thing awhile back, i changed the cam sensor, BAM! i was back in business. but like bmwconnect said, check your fuel pump as well.

Aquacleaner 02-13-2013 06:35 PM

CPS changed along with fuel filter. Car is completely different. Starts faster runs perfect

Thanks for all advice

U guys r great