318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   What tranny has failed you? (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10322)

pdxmotorhead 05-03-2006 12:00 AM

What tranny has failed you?

SO which tranny has the best raw overall record?

I have blown up a:
Getrag?
ZF?
None?

Dave

GDB 05-03-2006 12:17 AM

The ZF is a stronger transmission, end of discussion.

CirrusSR22 05-03-2006 05:08 AM

I wish I could post that my General Motors transmission has blown, but it's holding strong. Just dreaming of a 5-Speed swap....

GDB, I want to join your "Keep E46 Bumpers off E36s Club". They just look so awkward.

mattboyer 05-03-2006 05:23 AM

FAILED EMISSIONS TEST W/ P1423 CODE

MY WIFES 97 318ti has had the hidden p1423 code show up during an annual emmissions test yesterday....NO warning ( check engine light on) ...so suprise for me I've been studying the secondary air system and all that's involved all day now....here's where I'm at........I pulled the air pump off tonight ..hooked it up to 12 vlts and suprise to me it worked ....and yes it does sound like a hair dryer .....now I've owned the car for 1.5 years and I have never heard that air pump run .....so I have the plug from the air pump unplugged and my volt meter plugged in to the end , turn on the ignition and I have nothing , no power to the air pump......where do I go next , I can't locate which fuse or a relay would turn this thing on...(JUST ADDED 1.5 HOURS LATER) I guess the car finally cooled down enough..I hooked my volt meter to the plug that goes to the air pump and started the car and it read 14.08 volts so I turned the car off and thought about plugging it back into the air pump....but thought I better double check to make sure I have voltage before I hook it up.....well I hit the ignition again and I had no voltage at the plug...I'm going to try and let the car cool down again....

angel318ti 05-03-2006 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattboyer
MY WIFES 97 318ti has had the hidden p1423 code show up during an annual emmissions test yesterday....NO warning ( check engine light on) ...so suprise for me I've been studying the secondary air system and all that's involved all day now....here's where I'm at........I pulled the air pump off tonight ..hooked it up to 12 vlts and suprise to me it worked ....and yes it does sound like a hair dryer .....now I've owned the car for 1.5 years and I have never heard that air pump run .....so I have the plug from the air pump unplugged and my volt meter plugged in to the end , turn on the ignition and I have nothing , no power to the air pump......where do I go next , I can't locate which fuse or a relay would turn this thing on...(JUST ADDED 1.5 HOURS LATER) I guess the car finally cooled down enough..I hooked my volt meter to the plug that goes to the air pump and started the car and it read 14.08 volts so I turned the car off and thought about plugging it back into the air pump....but thought I better double check to make sure I have voltage before I hook it up.....well I hit the ignition again and I had no voltage at the plug...I'm going to try and let the car cool down again....

what does that essay that you just wrote have to do with a transmission? sorry I'm being rude but I was reading it all the way to the end to not even see the word transmission at all. anyway I don't want to ruin a good thread so I'll keep it going. My GM tranny went out on me. so bad experience there.

robcarync 05-03-2006 07:10 AM

im just gonna assume he got lost and posted in the wrong spot...

S10mafia50 05-03-2006 08:55 AM

My s10's trans said getrag on it.....:biggrin: 132k miles of abuse, and still ticking. And that was with a 200hp/270ft lb engine on it.....lol
Andrew

angel318ti 05-03-2006 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robcarync
im just gonna assume he got lost and posted in the wrong spot...

no, he didnt get lost. I think he just didn't read the title right cause the title on his post says "failed emissions" not transmissions.

the51 05-16-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattboyer

Not trying to encourage your post but, check your shut off valve and all the hoses. If your air pump was bad you would hear it.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...59&hg=11&fg=50