318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Electrical (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   power lock problem (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=7377)

maherbaz 10-24-2005 10:11 PM

power lock problem

Hey all, haven't been on here in a while. 2 days ago I was unlocking my car, and the passenger side door didn't unlock at the same time (the trunk lock still works). so now I have to be all gentlemanly and walk around and unlock the passenger side door if someone is riding with me (or just turn the key on, roll down the passenger window, take the key out, give it to whoever is waiting to get in so they can unlock the door from the outside). Anyway, it is annoying....anyone have any problems w/ their power locks before?
Thanks,
Maher

maxt 10-24-2005 10:40 PM

cant you unlock the door from the inside by just pulling on the pass handle from the inside? I havent tried this in my ti yet, but most cars you can..just a thought

Tyler 10-24-2005 11:11 PM

If your doors are locked and your inside of it pull the handle once and it unlocks all the doors. Then pull it once more and the door opens,i've never heard of this problem before and not sure what to suggest.

Anyone got some advice besides calling an auto shop?

aceyx 10-24-2005 11:44 PM

Does the central lock switch operate the door lock?

My suggestion is to work back from the lock itself.

cali-ti 10-25-2005 03:57 AM

i had my driver's door lock actuator fail. that was back when i paid for the dealer to fix things. i believe it was like $200. i would suggest fixing it yourself.

maherbaz 10-26-2005 11:36 PM

Sounds like that might be it......no the lock switch inside doesn't work either. It is definitely something in the power locking mechanism in the passenger door. If I unlock just that door, the other doors don't unlock, and if I unlock the other doors, the passenger side won't.
An actuator? what does it look like, and how much does it cost? Yeah I won't take my car in unless it absolutely won't run and I absolutely can't fix it (and I have absolutely more money).

Shaggy 10-26-2005 11:52 PM

I have the same problem right now too with the passenger side lock. Whenever I use the keyless entry or use the key on the door (driver's side) it wont open, but if I use the key on the passenger side it will open up plus open all the other doors. Well i'm going to have my dad fix it for me since I couldn't do it myself and I will let you know what he found wrong with it.

Blue318ti 10-27-2005 01:03 AM

Nice car tyler...I just bought one 2 weeks ago. Its blue like yours but, its been neglected i have to do a lot of work to it... C-ya!

cali-ti 10-27-2005 03:53 PM

i BELIEVE this is the part number (i might be able to find my receipt from years ago this weekend): 67111387726

here's the diagram on realoem: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=41&fg=50&hl=1

EDIT: better one:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...1&fg=40&hl=221

alfresco80 11-01-2005 10:28 PM

I'm having the exact same problem-- if anyone figures this out, I'd love to know how to fix it--- without having to spend $200-$300.

The strange thing is that the passenger's door lock will go a few days without working and then will suddenly work again when locking/unlocking with the center console button or by unlocking the other doors. I've noticed that if I lock the passenger's door from the inside--instead of locking and holding up the handle from the outside--that the lock tends to work again for 2+ days with the other power locks.

Phil Marx 11-02-2005 12:21 AM

The passenger door lock was doing the same thing on my car: working for a while and then not. My solution was to buy the new actuator for the passenger door, then look at what it took to install it. No time for that much work! So I tossed the new module in the glove box and forgot about it for a while. Then the locks started working again and have been flawless for at least four months now. Of course now that I mention it they will fail!
I'd like to shoot the engineer who put that actuator where they did.
-Phil

cali-ti 11-02-2005 12:27 AM

it's the threat of replacement that's keeping that one working right now. as long as you keep the new one in the glove box, it'll keep working ;)

my dad (usually when cursing while working on a car) always thought that they should make the guys who DESIGNED the car work on repairing them for awhile, perhaps then they'd design them to be easier to work on.

thesk8nmidget 03-21-2008 04:36 PM

alright so i have this problem now too. but itsa little different.

my passenger lock will lock only if i push the driver side lock down.
the passenger side will only unlock all the doors but wont lock them.
if i lock the passenger side it will only lock the pasenger side.

is that the actuator? or maybe a loose wire?

anyone wanna help?

(also i cant turn the key in my driver side lock because it wont turn at all so i have to use the passenger side lock til i get an alarm.)

elchicano 03-21-2008 09:14 PM

mines different too, i can lock the doors on the driver side but i can't unlock it. On the passenger side i can unlock it but i can't lock it. The hatch lock works perfect.

thesk8nmidget 03-21-2008 09:19 PM

well its all fixed now with a little lovin of the driver and hatch locks i got them to spin. now the passenger side actuator is working for some reason :)