318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   ANNOYING SOUND! (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18564)

M3_KILL3R 10-07-2007 03:15 AM

ANNOYING SOUND!

hey guys ive always had this little "chink" sound but now that the cars lower due to the springs i guess it got louder. i CANT find out where the sounds coming from when im driving and i go over a crack or a bump i have this chink chink sound coming from what sounds like the rear left but it sometimes sounds more from the middle. its pretty loud and kinda embarrassing if anyone can help out ill be very grateful! by the way it sounds like a light piece of metal hitting another piece of metal.

M3_KILL3R 10-07-2007 08:10 AM

no ones cares to take a crack at it?

cooljess76 10-07-2007 09:44 AM

You just gotta look under there. Try shaking your muffler from side to side, and check the brake rotor shields(remember I fixed your front one) and if they're too close to the rotor, bend them in a little. Noises are usuall pretty hard to diagnose without actually being there. But I'm sure if you get under there and start jerking on stuff, you'll find the source. It could be something serious like your tranny mounts or rear subframe bushings, or it might just be something simple. It sounds like it might be a bad or weak exhaust hanger.

Mallard 10-07-2007 02:06 PM

check your

topmounts
springs if they have shifted / snapped
"covering" on the midbox/catalysor
swingarm bushes
exhaust doughnuts
mid box rubber ring
differential bush
driveshaft bearing
gearbox mounts
engine mounts
rear trailing arm droplinks
rear trailing arm bushes
rear subframe bushes
wheel bearing

thats about all i can say from here without actually hearing it ;)

M3_KILL3R 10-07-2007 06:05 PM

i checked it thoroughly yesterday and it wasnt the exhaust, brake shield, springs, or shocks. i think it might be the bushings the trailing arm one was out of oil if you remember jess so that might be it but ill take another good hard look at everything. ill take one of those rubber mallets and go at it!

cooljess76 10-07-2007 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M3_KILL3R (Post 137209)
i think it might be the bushings the trailing arm one was out of oil if you remember jess so that might be it

That was your passenger front ball joint seal that was torn but still had grease in it. It definitely needs replaced but I doubt it's causing the noise.

M3_KILL3R 10-07-2007 07:28 PM

hhmmmmmm i dont know man its pretty annoying i feel like im driving a old crappy ricer with cut springs when i hear it.

Richard Gizinya 10-09-2007 02:40 AM

I have a exhaust leak..or something of that nature... this leak sounds like no other leak ive ever heard before... its sounds like a coffee maker brewing coffee.. as funny as that may seem, im completly serious about this noise? is it my exhaust or maybe a vaccuum leak in the intake or what i dont know..help?

cobaltbloo 10-09-2007 04:02 AM

I had the same noise comeing out of what seemed the right back wheel. BMW dealership could not find or fix it. So I brought it an independent BMW shop and the guy told me that it was the parking break. It needed to be adjusted. He adjusted it and it was gone. He said that that is one of the characteristics of the 318ti. That every 3 months or so get it adjusted. Im not sure if he's right but my noise is gone.

M3_KILL3R 10-09-2007 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobaltbloo (Post 137397)
I had the same noise comeing out of what seemed the right back wheel. BMW dealership could not find or fix it. So I brought it an independent BMW shop and the guy told me that it was the parking break. It needed to be adjusted. He adjusted it and it was gone. He said that that is one of the characteristics of the 318ti. That every 3 months or so get it adjusted. Im not sure if he's right but my noise is gone.

that might be my issue too what did he actually do?

aceyx 10-09-2007 05:24 AM

Exhaust shields? It's thin aluminum, and sounds like dropping pebbles in a disposable lasagna pan.

There is one for the muffler, and one at the cat. Make sure the screws haven't gone through the shield.

M3_KILL3R 10-09-2007 05:31 AM

hmmm thanks i gotta check that out too

cobaltbloo 02-07-2013 03:24 AM

He said that he just adjusted the parking brake..and the noise is gone.

teetime4one 02-07-2013 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76 (Post 137181)
start jerking on stuff.

Classic Jesse response. lol

adcurtin 04-23-2018 05:09 AM

maybe a dumb question, but how much force should I have to put on the brake shield to bend it enough so it doesn't rub?

I tried to bend mine in since it's rubbing, but I wasn't able to stop it with the amount of force I (with my lack of repair experience) was comfortable with trying. should it be fairly easy to bend, or am I gonna have to really put some muscle in it?