318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Rear fog light question (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=32612)

oakley 01-23-2011 10:59 PM

Rear fog light question

Rear fog lights: Are they on both sides or just on one side?? I only have one side that illuminates but am sure they always use to be both sides!! Its hard to tell by the circuit board (there is a fixing for the bulb on both sides) so I dont know if a garage at some point has taken the bulb out of one side as it didnt work...

John_in_VA 01-23-2011 11:10 PM

Normally a rear fog light is only used on the same side as the driver. If there is a fitting for a bulb in each tail light, is there a working bulb present on each side?
Check for the appropriate Troubleshooting Manual here:
http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm

zoner 01-23-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_in_VA (Post 290651)
Normally a rear fog light is only used on the same side as the driver.

+1

This is to help direct the driver coming up on the rear to pass on the left (or right, if you're in the UK or Australia).

oakley 01-23-2011 11:33 PM

Yeah can't be ar5ed to search electrical issues I just want someone with fogs to check their rear end an then if there are suppose to be two than I can start reading thro electrical manuals!! :) Thanks for the link tho it'll come in handy if I do have an issue!!
Plus most BM's usually have fogs on both sides- infact most cars in the UK do :)

Silverti 01-24-2011 06:25 PM

Mine only had one when i got it. I believe it depends on the model year to if one or two was connected.

If you pull the cover off the nearside tail lights and disconnect the electrical plug you should see a gap where the wire would go if the Fog was meant to be on. Its easy to trace just by looking at the contacts on the bulb plate itself. Can't remember which pin it is but there will be at least one missing.

If you want to get both working you can run a wire from the other side. Thats what i did to mine. Just find which wire on the offside is for the fog and tap into it. Run the wire underneath the trim of the boot and make yourself a pin to connect into the plug (if i remember i used the female part of a bullet connector). Only takes 10 mins and you get your 2 fog lights.

If you want some more info i can have a look tomorrow when its light to see which wires they are etc.

Edit: BTW mines a 99 model and had a bulb in place even though it wasn't connected to anything. If yours doesn't have a bulb in the nearside it may have just been used to replace the other side at some stage in the last 10 years :)

oakley 01-25-2011 02:16 AM

awesome cheers mate- i'll have to try and have a proper look when I get a second- its been ages since I looked at it- and thinking about it Im sure there was a bulb there...I'll check the connections! :)

pdxmotorhead 01-25-2011 05:59 AM

Over here in the states its common to cross them to the brake light circuit for more brake lights.... :)

Dave

ja_sam_vegan 07-30-2022 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverti (Post 290700)
Mine only had one when i got it. I believe it depends on the model year to if one or two was connected.

If you pull the cover off the nearside tail lights and disconnect the electrical plug you should see a gap where the wire would go if the Fog was meant to be on. Its easy to trace just by looking at the contacts on the bulb plate itself. Can't remember which pin it is but there will be at least one missing.

If you want to get both working you can run a wire from the other side. Thats what i did to mine. Just find which wire on the offside is for the fog and tap into it. Run the wire underneath the trim of the boot and make yourself a pin to connect into the plug (if i remember i used the female part of a bullet connector). Only takes 10 mins and you get your 2 fog lights.

If you want some more info i can have a look tomorrow when its light to see which wires they are etc.

Edit: BTW mines a 99 model and had a bulb in place even though it wasn't connected to anything. If yours doesn't have a bulb in the nearside it may have just been used to replace the other side at some stage in the last 10 years :)

So you did not have to put a new fuse for the rear fog lights that supports more current?