318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Induction (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Midnight Tuning (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=31367)

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-15-2010 07:17 PM

Midnight Tuning

I've been testing code from Barrie at Midnight tuning over the weekend. He worked with me for 6+ hours Thursday & Friday sending code. I flashed many times with no changes due to a issue with my flasher :redface:. He is very cool to work with and I have to say the code has been excellent now that my flasher is working.

So far he has eliminated my CEL for adaption errors. Moved me to 60# injectors and now I have excellent non boost drivability. My transition to boost is seamless which I never had. I've boosted 20psi with no Meth on 93 octane.

I have to say I'm completely happy with everything I've seen so far. Barrie @ Midnight is quick on changes, accurate with the changes and the code has been a real improvement over the complete RPM range.

We are still in the beginning of tuning since we have not logged anything, touched timing or MAF but this has been a real eye opener on how well he is able to write code and how much HP is untapped. I look forward to finishing up the tune in the following weeks. This is also a long distance tune so he is only making changes by my feedback which slows the process and is hard on him.

The pricing is great and Barrie has been very knowledgeable and great to work with.

I will report back but I say 2 thumbs up for Midnight Tuning.

This is OBD-II but he specializes in OBD-I

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-15-2010 07:59 PM

Folks, I just ran some 60# injector code that put my dick in the dirt. Adapted in 3 miles and after 7 miles I ran a 16.7psi boost and it was 12:1 AFR. No CEL's yet. If any are going to come they will be hitting before 25 miles. I'm getting ready to hook all the wires up for loggin on the LM-2 so we can get full data logs of the tune over the next week.

Man I'm excited:tongue: Best the car has run ever. The 16.7psi boost wasted the clutch in 3rd gear so I have to change it right away. I've got a 405 ftlb Spec kit ready to install but it so dang hot outside plus I have to mow the 4 lawns:frown:

Running so good I'm scared something is going to break, that's how it always goes.

Marv17 08-15-2010 09:04 PM

do you have a contact number, email, or link?

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-16-2010 01:40 PM

Barrie @ midnight-tuning
midnight-tuning@rogers.com

RAiMA 08-17-2010 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 278566)
Barrie @ midnight-tuning
bigbadbear1984@hotmail.com

Almost thought that was an Australian number. I was like WTF! lols.

Good to hear you're getting great results John :) Looking forward to updates :)

bmwconnect 08-20-2010 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 278525)
I've been testing code from Barrie at Midnight tuning over the weekend. He worked with me for 6+ hours Thursday & Friday sending code. I flashed many times with no changes due to a issue with my flasher :redface:. He is very cool to work with and I have to say the code has been excellent now that my flasher is working.

So far he has eliminated my CEL for adaption errors. Moved me to 60# injectors and now I have excellent non boost drivability. My transition to boost is seamless which I never had. I've boosted 20psi with no Meth on 93 octane.

I have to say I'm completely happy with everything I've seen so far. Barrie @ Midnight is quick on changes, accurate with the changes and the code has been a real improvement over the complete RPM range.

We are still in the beginning of tuning since we have not logged anything, touched timing or MAF but this has been a real eye opener on how well he is able to write code and how much HP is untapped. I look forward to finishing up the tune in the following weeks. This is also a long distance tune so he is only making changes by my feedback which slows the process and is hard on him.

The pricing is great and Barrie has been very knowledgeable and great to work with.

I will report back but I say 2 thumbs up for Midnight Tuning.

This is OBD-II but he specializes in OBD-I

thanks john and my email for tuning is midnight-tuning@rogers.com

cheers folks

Marv17 08-20-2010 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwconnect (Post 278862)
thanks john and my email for tuning is midnight-tuning@rogers.com

cheers folks

are you able to do tuning for the S52 by any chance?

bmwconnect 08-20-2010 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 278872)
are you able to do tuning for the S52 by any chance?

Yes for sure...do you have your own flasher? MS41 dme I take it

Marv17 08-20-2010 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwconnect (Post 278878)
Yes for sure...do you have your own flasher? MS41 dme I take it

no, but i would like to look into it. how and where would i be able to get one for my own?
what are the costs for the flasher and the flash, any ideas?

bmwconnect 08-20-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 278880)
no, but i would like to look into it. how and where would i be able to get one for my own?
what are the costs for the flasher and the flash, any ideas?

I don't relay deal with clone tools so you can talk to john.. he has his own clone bench flasher setup...A NA flash tune for that motor is $320us

Regards

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-20-2010 09:33 PM

I guess I'm up...I have all flashing tools for ODB-I and OBD-II. I think I can can flash most units 2002 and older DME units K-Line only or chip. If you want I can flash any of Mid-Nights (Barrie's) code. I do trust his standard code flashes. Any custom flashes will need to be made at my house with logging so Barrie can dial it in.

PM or email jsmith50@tampabay.rr.com

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-20-2010 09:42 PM

Also: If you are computer savy I can show you how to make a flasher for $40 on Ebay for Galletto software and hardware to flash your DME and $25 for a DME harness and $20 from radio shack and you have a bench flasher to flash your OBD-II DME. You need a reliable coder to tweak you code...

OBD-I you need a Willem programmer off Ebay for about $30 and chips for $.50 and code which you need to buy from a reliable source.

John Smith

Marv17 08-20-2010 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwconnect (Post 278886)
I don't relay deal with clone tools so you can talk to john.. he has his own clone bench flasher setup...A NA flash tune for that motor is $320us

Regards

okay. for sure. however, what is a base price that i would be looking at for a tune/flash that would be tuned for a 3.5inch HFM, M50 manifold, Rev limiter and an evap check removed?
Quote:

Originally Posted by xxxJohnBoyxxx (Post 278890)
Also: If you are computer savy I can show you how to make a flasher for $40 on Ebay for Galletto software and hardware to flash your DME and $25 for a DME harness and $20 from radio shack and you have a bench flasher to flash your OBD-II DME. You need a reliable coder to tweak you code...

OBD-I you need a Willem programmer off Ebay for about $30 and chips for $.50 and code which you need to buy from a reliable source.

John Smith

wow, can you show/tell me how to do it? i'd be really interested in doing this. :D
i should email you later tonight regarding details... or if you want, you can email me too @ mblanco17@hotmail.com

bmwconnect 08-21-2010 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv17 (Post 278903)
okay. for sure. however, what is a base price that i would be looking at for a tune/flash that would be tuned for a 3.5inch HFM, M50 manifold, Rev limiter and an evap check removed?

Would need the car in hand to do a 3.5maf conversion or you need some serious logging equipment on your end ... Rev-limit no problems, M50man all ready have a tune for that so no problems there... never had to do a evap check remove and would be a pain to disassemble the binary code to find the on/off switch so to speak

regards|

xxxJohnBoyxxx 08-21-2010 03:25 AM

I personally would like to do a 3.5" MAF change but the code work needed is hands on for sure. I peg my 3" M3 MAF all the time during high boost runs but deal with it since the trouble to get it converted to 3.5" is BIG unless I can be at the coders house so he can work on my car. It's that hard to do and i wish someone would do a 3" to 3.5" for the M5.2 so we had it but I think I'm the only one that needs it right now and I don't live near Barrie who is the only coder who is interested in writing code for my car.:frown:

Still I got some kick butt code running on the 3" MAF that will spank any I-6 N/A and maybe a few low boosted ones due to my very low weight.:wink: