318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   Wont crank, wont start, cant hear fuel pump engaging (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37351)

The Bobby 10-29-2012 01:16 AM

Wont crank, wont start, cant hear fuel pump engaging

I drove my car to a shop with no problems. Got back in and tried to start it with no success. Got towed home. It does not crank and I cant hear the fuel pump.

It is a manual and tried to roll start down a hill with no success, the rear end seemed to be locked up and skipping when I dumped the clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input,
Bobby

xxxJohnBoyxxx 10-29-2012 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Bobby (Post 340599)
I drove my car to a shop with no problems. Got back in and tried to start it with no success. Got towed home. It does not crank and I cant hear the fuel pump.

It is a manual and tried to roll start down a hill with no success, the rear end seemed to be locked up and skipping when I dumped the clutch.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any input,
Bobby

Do you have a extra key for the car? Sounds like the key chip got damaged or the antenna ring for the key is broken.

EWS-II no crank, no spark or fuel is key chip does not match EWS unit. The car thinks the key is the worng one for EWS check and disables starter. Also the EWS INS check on the DME doesn't happen with the starter lockout so no spark or fuel since the DME locks them out too so you can't push start the car when the start disable is active.

The Bobby 10-29-2012 07:52 PM

I appreciate the reply, to add more issues I got the car two months ago and the main metal key with the light is the only one I have. The key chip could have become damage just in my pocket for 20 min?

Thanks for any help

Mallard 10-29-2012 08:01 PM

crankshaft sensor will cut signal to both fuel and spark.
have you borrowed a tester :)

The Bobby 10-29-2012 08:41 PM

I haven't but I do have a multimeter so I will try to test that sensor today, thanks for the guidance

xxxJohnBoyxxx 10-30-2012 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mallard (Post 340626)
crankshaft sensor will cut signal to both fuel and spark.
have you borrowed a tester :)

Crankshaft sensor has nothing to do with the starter lock out in the EWS causing the engine to not crank over...

If the car cranked over by the stater then maybe the CPS might be bad. Until the starter EWS lock out is cured there is no reason to check the crank sensor.

Best of luck, John Smith

pampa 03-15-2015 05:39 PM

John Smith Do you have EWS and DMU Pair for sale?

I should start new thread, but I don't have privilege to message you.

My Car; I received not running 1997 318ti. I heard roomer of jump starting backwards.

Symptoms; Did not crank. Good Battery.
What i have done: Bypassed EWSII (pins 1 +3)
Current symptoms: Cranks over, no spark, seems like unloader is not working (non-essential items like wipers/radio) work while cranking.

I suspect the DMU (or ECU whatever BMW calls it). I have seen you posted you have DMU + EWSII and key paired for sale before. Do you still have?

Thanks,

Tim