318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Lounge (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   1996 318ti Automatic shifting question (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=8234)

pcmedics911 12-29-2005 08:35 AM

1996 318ti Automatic shifting question

Greetings fellow 318ti owners,

I had a question about automatic shifting. I noticed that when I gun or hit the pedal pretty hard to get a good start, my rpms go all the way up to redline before i have to pull my foot off the pedal to have the 318ti shift to the next gear.

This seems to only happen in 2nd gear i believe. I can gun the car while on the freeway and it has no problem shifting to a lower gear for speed then diverting back to the next gear up.

This only happens when i'm at a stop light and i start off then gun the pedal. I'm not a red liner and i don't want to blow my engine (heck, im still new here!)

I used some fuel injector cleaner so i wanted to really get the car moving (to sprout the fuel injector, not to race).

I wondered why this happens since I just had the service level II recently done by a non bmw dealership.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

DustenT 12-29-2005 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmedics911
Greetings fellow 318ti owners,

I had a question about automatic shifting. I noticed that when I gun or hit the pedal pretty hard to get a good start, my rpms go all the way up to redline before i have to pull my foot off the pedal to have the 318ti shift to the next gear.

This seems to only happen in 2nd gear i believe. I can gun the car while on the freeway and it has no problem shifting to a lower gear for speed then diverting back to the next gear up.

This only happens when i'm at a stop light and i start off then gun the pedal. I'm not a red liner and i don't want to blow my engine (heck, im still new here!)

I used some fuel injector cleaner so i wanted to really get the car moving (to sprout the fuel injector, not to race).

I wondered why this happens since I just had the service level II recently done by a non bmw dealership.

Any thoughts?

Thank you.

This sounds normal. When I still had the auto tranny I could hold each gear until red line, sometimes hitting the rev limiter before it would shift.

This is the first car that has ever done that. I'm sure it's on purpose because you need the full range of engine rpms for max power.

Tyler 12-29-2005 03:54 PM

Mine does the same thing and I’m not sure why it does this. I never do what you are talking about so this wouldn’t be a problem from me. The only time I push the pedal to the floor is when I’m pulling onto the highway from the on ramp and even then it’s not to the floor

DustenT 12-29-2005 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler
Mine does the same thing and I’m not sure why it does this. I never do what you are talking about so this wouldn’t be a problem from me. The only time I push the pedal to the floor is when I’m pulling onto the highway from the on ramp and even then it’s not to the floor

If you had NAAAS you would only need partial throttle all the time.....think about that.

Tyler 12-29-2005 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustenT
If you had NAAAS you would only need partial throttle all the time.....think about that.

What you talking about willis?

pcmedics911 12-29-2005 06:14 PM

Thank you for the feedback.

I'm glad its normal so I don't have to panic. I thought my transmission was going to take a dump! I would have been seriously in hot water considering how much the 318ti is celebrated here and I took the dive to get the car.

I can sleep better now :)

vwt3 12-29-2005 06:43 PM

I have an auto with the manual shift mode, I always shift my auto thru the gears weather I'm auto or manual mode, starting in drive you get noware fast (kinda a real dog starting in drive) my 2cents

vwt3

Juni 12-29-2005 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustenT

:biggrin: