318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Misc (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   IDK whats up! Help. (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13506)

3DGE 12-06-2006 11:17 AM

IDK whats up! Help.

So I was in my car reading a magazing and listening to the radio, also with a light on, when out of nowhere the radio turns off along with all power. I went to start the car, it would not start, So i guess the battery is dead. Anyway 3 hours later I get back in the car and start it no prob, but I cant listed to the radio because it says CODE. SO whats going on? DO I have too get a new battery, or goto a shop to get it looked at?

1996 328ti 12-06-2006 02:22 PM

Could be the battery?
Was it cold out? Check your cables.

You need to reset the radio.
Normally the code is in with your owner's manual.
If not, you need the serial number and your title for a dealer to look it up.
Not sure if you need to pull the radio for the S/N.

marleymon 12-06-2006 02:38 PM

Sounds like something got wet. Happened to me coming out of a touchless wash with under carriage blast.
I did notice while under the car this week there are some big grounds underneath that were pretty chalked up.
I'd think any kind of faulty engine strap /ground might cause this.

96cali 12-06-2006 04:15 PM

HOw old is your battery? How long did you have all the accessories running on battery? It is common for a battery to regain a little charge if you let it sit for a while or take it inside to warm up. Saved me a few times and always lets me sneak another pic onto the digicam when I run out of juice. If it was sudden though it sounds more like a short.

Keach 12-07-2006 07:58 PM

First thing I would check is the battery terminals. Clean them off good with a wire brush and make sure they are tight when you put them back on. Good possiblity it's just a faulty connection. As for the radio 1996 328ti is right, the radio needs to be reset with a code that comes with the car. It's an anti-theft system. I believe the number for mine was on a card in my leather case that holds the manual. Worst case replace the stock radio with a new head unit (one with a cd player).

318tiRedLeather 12-07-2006 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keach (Post 98371)
First thing I would check is the battery terminals. Clean them off good with a wire brush and make sure they are tight when you put them back on. Good possiblity it's just a faulty connection. As for the radio 1996 328ti is right, the radio needs to be reset with a code that comes with the car. It's an anti-theft system. I believe the number for mine was on a card in my leather case that holds the manual. Worst case replace the stock radio with a new head unit (one with a cd player).

+1

3DGE 12-07-2006 10:44 PM

Ok so my dad made me park it last night so he could look at it, he cleaned the crap around the battery and charged it, I am going to napa to findout if I need a new alternator...WOOo..fun

I would like to have a new dech...does not matter to me if its CD or not...but atm I only have 3 speakers working in my car. I took out the doorpannels and one rear speaker.
I love to take stuff apart :)

Also it just says Code, I dont see a number.

aceyx 12-07-2006 10:51 PM

Clean both the terminal and the connector. You can find specialty brushes for under $5 at any auto parts store.

Then stop at a CVS/whatever and pick up a tube of vaseline lip balm and coat the connector AFTER it's hooked up. This prevents corrosion. You can also use dielectric grease that's available at the auto parts store, I just find the vaseline cheaper.

marleymon 12-07-2006 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DGE (Post 98392)
Also it just says Code, I dont see a number.

the code will be in your manual...hopefully.....need a low mileage alternator let me know...

the napa here sucks..."oh it's for a BMW?"... the price doubles...
Pelican sent the wrong serp belt @17.50...Napa wants $40. They want $65 per rotor. They want .80 cents per nut for the strut mounts. They want $5.89 for a can of pBlaster. They want $4.89 for a small tube of locktight. They wanted $40 for a thermo for my e21...cost me $15 shipped. I neever walk outta there w/o my ass feeling a little tampered with. The attitude is "where else you gonna go up here?"
sorry- napa got me going....j

3DGE 12-08-2006 12:57 AM

Ok I need a new battery...it will cost me 94$ at napa, WAAA

Anyone know a cheaper place?

snwbrdrbum10 12-08-2006 04:01 AM

ya, go to costco...they sell em for like 64$...i know as i work there in the tire shop:)

3DGE 12-08-2006 04:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snwbrdrbum10 (Post 98420)
ya, go to costco...they sell em for like 64$...i know as i work there in the tire shop:)

Sweet, I work next to costco! BTW, I put in a job app to Costco last week...no reply :(

3DGE 12-10-2006 10:41 AM

Ok I got the new battery in, car is alive!

Anyway, how do i get the code thing off my radio so I can play the radio?

3DGE 12-10-2006 11:25 AM

Also my door issue still presists. I think this is the part i need so I can lock the door with my keyless.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...-1-387-726-M82

marleymon 12-10-2006 03:49 PM

your code should be on a card in your manual.