318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Air Filters/Intakes (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cold Air Intake (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=36021)

Greenhill 04-19-2012 01:50 AM

Cold Air Intake

i want to get a cold air intake for my ti, but i dont want something crappy. any suggestions?

familytruckster 04-19-2012 03:28 AM

*grabs popcorn and waits*

campione 04-19-2012 04:05 AM

K&N

I hadn't planned on using one on my ti but wanted to try it out. It's still on the car after a few thousand miles. It increases the induction noise up front (not totally unpleasant to me but it is louder) but the upside has been an increase in the mileage, about 1.5 to 2 mpg better than stock. HP gain? Probably minimal. It's a good kit, fits well and went on without any mods. I ran the supply hose up from the bottom and kept it short of the filter (to keep water at bay). I'll keep it on...

Romak 04-19-2012 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 327327)
i want to get a cold air intake for my ti, but i dont want something crappy. any suggestions?

SEARCH BEFORE POSTING

/end of thread

any suggestions on the time is takes cooljess76 to chime in on cia's and hydrolocking? :biggrin:

zoner 04-19-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familytruckster (Post 327337)
*grabs popcorn and waits*

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romak (Post 327344)
any suggestions on the time is takes cooljess76 to chime in on cia's and hydrolocking? :biggrin:

Oh, man- I totally laughed out loud after reading both of these. http://winetalk.com/forum/images/smilies/1roflmao.gif

With regard to the OP- this is a thread that has kind of been beat to death over the years on this forum. A CAI is not going to give you any real performance gains and, as Romak alluded to, could potentially be detrimental.

Unless you're going for a certain intake tone or specific look, save your money for something that will actually produce a noticeable performance increase (which you'll find is not a very extensive list, unless you really want to start spending some money). :) (my $.02)

teen ti 04-19-2012 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 327346)
Oh, man- I totally laughed out loud after reading both of these. http://winetalk.com/forum/images/smilies/1roflmao.gif

With regard to the OP- this is a thread that has kind of been beat to death over the years on this forum. A CAI is not going to give you any real performance gains and, as Romak alluded to, could potentially be detrimental.

Unless you're going for a certain intake tone or specific look, save your money for something that will actually produce a noticeable performance increase (which you'll find is not a very extensive list, unless you really want to start spending some money). :) (my $.02)

i had a similar reaction, i would love for jess to comment. but really man the only reason IMO to install a CAI is to get a better intake noise, which is what i plan on accomplishing with mine and nothing else. we've got 1.8/1.9L 4 pots cranking out (realistically) no more than 125HP so an intake isn't going to provide any real profound effects on performance that you'll be able to notice. but do some searching on the threads and figure out what you want to do. like i said I'm going to do one but only for a little bit of intake noise :rolleyes: so whatever makes you happy is what you should go for

cooljess76 04-19-2012 06:58 AM

I actually did post a comment only a couple minutes after this thread was started, but I took it down because I thought it might be interpreted as rude and unhelpful.

Sorry OP, the consensus on the forum is split two ways. In my personal opinion, the "cons" outweigh the "pros" when it comes to CAI's on 4 bangers. Feel free to do your research and form your own opinion though:smile:

And for those wondering, the comment I deleted went as follows:

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooljess76
The best "bang for your buck" is the search button.

Bobtail_Bimmer 04-19-2012 10:55 AM

I added an intake for the simple fact that when I purchased my Ti the stock air box was cracked in half and at the time, could not find a replacement. Mine is more of a short ram set up. There is no noticable difference Greenhill other than the sound as stated. If you feel you still want to do something then go on Ebay and get a MAF adapter which is what I did. Was about $8 shipped. I already had the filter so I was good to go. I worked up a bracket to hold it up and no issues.

Mr.Squeelerz 04-19-2012 02:21 PM

In regards to the whole SEARCH movement. If we all felt the same and never said anything I think the effect would be the same....no?:rolleyes:

Bobtail_Bimmer 04-19-2012 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.Squeelerz (Post 327379)
In regards to the whole SEARCH movement. If we all felt the same and never said anything I think the effect would be the same....no?:rolleyes:

TRUE! If you stop and look at it, everything you could think to discuss on the Ti has been as is with most other car specific forums that have been around for a while. If everyone fully searched before asking and found what they needed then there would be nothing to post other than FS, WTB, and random, non Ti related stuff.

CosTick 04-28-2012 11:44 PM

chances of reading codes after installing a k&n set up? additional issues to be aware of?

trikzta 04-29-2012 12:01 AM

i dont understand why some of us just cant give a short answer the OP question yes the topic has been beat to hell and back but thats not what he asked. also great that some of us actually care about others and dont want to let them buy an item w/o telling them what the outcome can be, but that he can either research or find out on his own. point is he is looking for a CAI why doesnt any1 say anything, im pretty sure most of the members here even tho they know the risk that they can be running by installing a CAI in their cars they still go ahead and get one. instead of saying search or just dont get one cause it sucks. why not say "Dude just get a Ram intake is the same thing and safer for your engine, or why not recommend Fogging the airbox, or what i did retrofit it to a m42 airbox look alike with the snorkel behind the headlight. either way some waste so much time typing things that are pretty much useless. like me right now. but yeah if he doesnt search just give him the simple answer.

cosmo racing makes CAI for the M44

Greenhill 04-29-2012 12:23 AM

Just to let everyone know, I did research it myself before I posted this. I was only asking for people's personal experiences with them. If you don't like the topic and don't have anything productive to say, then why post? Not to be a dick or anything.

zoner 04-29-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikzta (Post 328211)
i dont understand why some of us just cant give a short answer the OP question yes the topic has been beat to hell and back but thats not what he asked. also great that some of us actually care about others and dont want to let them buy an item w/o telling them what the outcome can be, but that he can either research or find out on his own. point is he is looking for a CAI why doesnt any1 say anything, im pretty sure most of the members here even tho they know the risk that they can be running by installing a CAI in their cars they still go ahead and get one. instead of saying search or just dont get one cause it sucks. why not say "Dude just get a Ram intake is the same thing and safer for your engine, or why not recommend Fogging the airbox, or what i did retrofit it to a m42 airbox look alike with the snorkel behind the headlight. either way some waste so much time typing things that are pretty much useless. like me right now. but yeah if he doesnt search just give him the simple answer.

cosmo racing makes CAI for the M44

My response to the OP was neither meant to disrespect nor offend. Notice that I did, in fact, politely respond with my feelings on the CAI after my initial sentence about this being a topic that there are numerous threads on. The problem that many have, myself included, with people not searching topics that have been discussed ad nauseum is that there is now one more thread, to add to the many that exist, that people who will search the topic will have to wade through before they find their answer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greenhill (Post 328212)
Just to let everyone know, I did research it myself before I posted this. I was only asking for people's personal experiences with them. If you don't like the topic and don't have anything productive to say, then why post? Not to be a dick or anything.

It's cool- I don't think that anyone's response was meant to be mailcious. In the future, however, if you do post something that you've previously searched and haven't been able to find your answer, if you preface your post with: "I've searched this and can't find the answer..." or "I realize there are many threads on this, but I'm looking for..." it lets people know that you have, in fact, searched the topic but were unable to find the answer you were looking for and will keep people from assuming that you just blindly posted w/o searching. Peace, bro. :)

Greenhill 04-29-2012 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoner (Post 328213)
My response to the OP was neither meant to disrespect nor offend. Notice that I did, in fact, politely respond with my feelings on the CAI after my initial sentence about this being a topic that there are numerous threads on. The problem that many have, myself included, with people not searching topics that have been discussed ad nauseum is that there is now one more thread, to add to the many that exist, that people who will search the topic will have to wade through before they find their answer.

I understand what you were saying. No worries man. There was no offense taken.