318ti.org forum (http://www.318ti.org/forum/index.php)
-   Engine (http://www.318ti.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28)
-   -   DASC Supercharged M44 - DISA Valve Issue (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40203)

stevenwrichards 05-06-2014 05:23 AM

DASC Supercharged M44 - DISA Valve Issue

2 Attachment(s)
So I'm driving around the old Packard Plant here in Detroit and took a railroad crossing a little too fast... Came down and felt my steering wheel rattling with certain combinations of throttle / speed (got real bad around 3250-3500 RPM). I had the original steering rack swapped out for a remanned Z3 unit just last week and was deathly afraid that I had already busted it. Stopped by the gas station to have a look and noticed that my Dad had gotten my strut bar painted black. A nice surprise, but didn't exactly help explain my rattle.

As I'm heading to Waterford Hills for a track day on Thursday, I was pretty keen to get this figured out. Pulled into the garage and after searching high and low for a problem with the rack, tie rods, suspension, wheels / tires, or anything that I had just had adjusted, I noticed the noise I had been hearing was coming from closer to the firewall than anywhere down low on the car. After a bit of searching we noticed a rather odd looking part sitting directly on the steering shaft. After some more searching via Google images and a quick read through of the DASC installation guide forwarded to me by the great Mr. Jim Goodroe, we figured out it's the old DISA valve that had been removed from the intake system but left in the car.

From the DASC installation guide: "Get the DISA valve from your earlier disassembly and connect it to its electrical connector in the engine harness. Using one or two zip ties provided, secure the valve to the dipstick tube below the elbow so that the valve does not interfere with any engine components and so that the valve flapper still is free to operate. This is to keep your ECU happy (And your “Check Engine” light off)."

Long story short, I think I broke a zip tie and not my new rack. Track day saved.

wolferj-RIP 05-06-2014 06:05 AM

No, you are completely wrong. Part it out immediately... and I'll take the DASC off you hands at no charge, I'll even pay your shipping fees. No worries, you can thank me later.

:biggrin:

Seriously, glad that you found the issue so quickly and with a very inexpensive fix (a couple of zip-ties!)!

stevenwrichards 05-06-2014 04:19 PM

I'd rather be lucky than good...

Monolith 05-06-2014 05:04 PM

You can replace the DISA with a 100 ohm sand cast resistor from Rat Shack.

stevenwrichards 05-06-2014 05:24 PM

I was trying to look up a good how-to for the "DISA Simulator" but couldn't find anything. I don't want to run the risk of throwing a CEL before Thursday so I think it's zip ties for the time being...

Monolith 05-06-2014 06:22 PM

Its just a 10 watt 100 ohm resistor with an inline fuse if you want. If hanging the DISA works, I wouldn't worry about it.

stevenwrichards 06-11-2014 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolferj (Post 362169)
No, you are completely wrong. Part it out immediately... and I'll take the DASC off you hands at no charge, I'll even pay your shipping fees. No worries, you can thank me later.

:biggrin:

Seriously, glad that you found the issue so quickly and with a very inexpensive fix (a couple of zip-ties!)!

So, it's been awhile since I updated this thread... Long story short, track day was more brief than anticipated... :biggrin:

Working on the motor now and will be making a plan once we get the head off...

Wolferj, you may just get your wish with the DASC!